25 years ago today...

...the Argy Bargies invaded the Falklands.

Where were you, on April the 2nd, 1982?

On leave in Sweden.

B

Biscuits_AB

In the turret of a Chieftain in Germany wondering why the Argentinians had invaded Fife.

Upon hearing of the invasion myself and several mates from the estate did our patriotic bit and joined the Army Cadets.

In Bhurtpore Barracks, Tidworth, with the finest tank regiment ever.. the 4th! At least, that is what the CO always told us!

With 50-odd Chieftain tanks rumbling around Salisbury Plain, it was quickly obvious that our services would not be required and we were told to stand down for the weekend, IIRC (and it was a very long time ago)!

Litotes

Junior Military certificate (JMC) Course at 5 Armd Wksp REME in Soest.

Often think about how desperate we were to be involved in a nervous, sort of 'we could finish up in the sh*t here' sort of way!!

Double maths, followed by PE.

Resident Bn, Aldergrove, no chance of going, where were you?

trick400 said:
...the Argy Bargies invaded the Falklands.

Where were you, on April the 2nd, 1982?
On Spearhead in Colchester wondering where the fcuk is the Falklands - near the Shetlands eh.

BT. :roll:

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Moving to Senny bridge for Bn field firing, from Canterbury. It'd take more than a small invasion to stop our Bn field firing - the CO was very clear about that!

I heard about the incursion into South Georgia from Newsround, the actual invasion I saw on a newspaper on my way home from school

The funniest thing I remember about the whole thing, apart from thinking like everyone else "why are the argies invading the Shetlands/Hebs/etc" was our ACF AI who packed his kit beliving he was going to "get the call" not he wasn't ex reg/TA

oh yeah and those bloody call up papers that are still doing the rounds

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Punching hell out of a 4th year who had been bullying my mates.

smallheathen said:
Lisburn, grateful for failing my Spanish 'O' level.
Interesting as I remember actually cancelling a holiday to Spain due to them being so supportive of the Argentinians due to their own aspirations re Gibraltar. This was big news at the time IIRC.

Heard about bits of glass in food, Spaniards giving Brit tourists a hard time etc so Malta was the amended holiday destination.

I was at a study day on 'Soviet Doctrine for Surprise Attack". Messages started arriving during the morning, RN first. Only half the course were left by the end of the day's programme.

Biscuits_AB said:
FaceLikeAPingPongBall said:
BFPO 40 - Living the dream in Rhein-D
I'm still laughing at this one! How true was that! We used t' dream o' JHQ.
I should have added 'living the dream at Queen's School at Rhein-D' - underage boozing at the cloggie bar and the polish and shagging 19 yr old WRAFs because they were stupid and we could and they had less armpit hair than the local kraut tarts and being found d&d and getting a lift home by the RMP coz daddy was in the snr officers mess when your mates folks got a call to pick em up at the cop shop!

Living the dream indeed (I'm in need of a brattie fix from the wagon by the NAAFI !)