25 pounder field gun

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by tutankhamun, Nov 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh yeah....that's going to give the local FLO a giggle..."Now, Sir"..."about this artillery piece that you've applied for?" "Vermin control, you say?"
  2. Yes - a very good, simple, rugged squaddy-proof gun..

It's only fault was it was rather heavy for it's capablities and could not be realistically slung, although they did produce a lightweight varient with no shield and a folding trail. The circular gun platform and box trail combination was easy to use, and allowed for rapid traverses with minimum effort (unlike the Pack How).

It could fire a vast range of ammuniton from AP to Mars Bars (I kid you not!) although the design of the round was 1920's vintage and not as efficient as the 105. The original pre-war design did not have a muzzle brake; this was added in the early years of the war to allow SuperCharge+ to be used with AP shot in the direct fire role against tanks (always a bit of a dodgy prospect IMHO!)

In service up to the late 70s at Larkhill where it was used to exploit the last of the wartime ammunition stockpile for training OPs - a complete battery was converted to "mils and meters" for this purpose..

Shell production stopped in the 50s although Blackburn and Chorley were knocking out fuzes well into the 60s.

A great gun, which lies in my memories along with the .303 Bren and the SLR!

"HE117 Charge 3 - 5 rounds fire for effect!"
  3. Had one in the cadets at school. Remember being taught drills on it, but doubt I could remember them now. Ours had a hairline crack down the barrel (which is why they'd given it to us, of course), so on inspection day we "fired" it by placing a thunderflash in the breech and detonating that with a banger, piece of fuse wire and the 90 V battery from a WS 88.

No wonder the Russians didn't dare invade.
  4. Loved this gun! I did my Basic Guns course on this in JLLRA - so it was still in service in 1981! From memory, it was a nice gun to work on. My regiment also had a pair of these as Gate Guards in Germany. The Light Gun that came later, was also a nice gun to work on.
  5. what???

Say again over
  6. Ammo is still in production in India and Pakistan, AFAIK.
  7. You don't have to be that old and bold. They were still in use for basic guns training at Woolwich when I was there in 1992 and only went out of service for saluting in the mid 90's
  8. There's a lot of similarities between them. One that wasn't carried over - sadly - was the turntable design. The 25 Pdr's was carried under the trails and the Stays were always fixed, so it just had to be dropped or lifted into position, whereas the Light Gun's is seperate and loves to trap fingers; especially tired and cold fingers! Having said that, I know that the reasons for having it detatchable completely outweigh this.......and whoever decided that instead of a couple of inches extra in wheelbase, was inferior to having to remove the r/h wheel to come into and out of action, was a complete muppet! There's nothing like having the Strut Jack slip and having the wheel hub on the deck, to raise moral!!
  9. 118 Bty, 31 Fd Regt, RA, Cyprus 1942. TFA Snr far right. Sadly no longer available to answer questions.

Attached Files:

10. There was so much grief with the Italian Pack howitzer with it's split trail (and the wheels falling off) that they decided to go back to the "box trail and platform" design for the the Light gun. The challenge for this design was that it had to fire the much heavier MkII 105 ammunition system deigned for the Abbott SP gun yet keep the weight down to airportable limits. This was much more of a challenge than the US designed MK1 ammo used in the PH.

As with many things there were lots of problems in the early stages. The "wishbone" box trail was of an advanced design, made by explosive forging and meant to flex and absorb recoil. The initial problem was that it would "whip" and would have broken the pelvis of the No2 who was sitting on it! This took some time to resolve!

Another case of a "design too far" perhaps..?
  11. T4A brill photo .... did my gunnery training on 25s at Oswestry in '67. a great gun ... with the slight drawback that Recce19 brings up

Now all I want is a 40/60 bofors ... me dadddy's gun!
  12. HE117 ... 'twas ever thus for Gunners!!!

As for your Fire Order ..... A 400 Repeat!

(the last FFE landed in Parliament Square ... so the range increase should get the gits as they sit!)
  13. Still in use at the RSA Larkhill in the mid to late 80s along with the 5.5s for courses as there was still a shed load of ammo. I cant remember such about firing them as I was not a gun bunny and only remember the weight due to the, at least, annual bty gun run when they were buggers to pull and to stop.

Now the light gun, that was and still is the only real gun in the RA. The abbot and AS90 crews are just frustrated donkey wallahs in comparison to the light gun crews!!! :)
  14. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

How about the 105mm Pack Howitzer?