25% of Brits think Churchill was myth

Folks - more evidence that as a nation, we are screwed.

According to this survey reported by the AP, 25% of a large number (3000) of Brits interviewed thought that Winston Churchill was a myth and 58% thought Sherlock Holmes was real. :?

I'll see you all in the pub.

S-H

LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

Schleswig-Holstein said:

According to this survey reported by the AP, 25% of a large number (3000) of Brits interviewed thought that Winston Churchill was a myth and 58% thought Sherlock Holmes was real. :?

I'll see you all in the pub.

S-H

LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people
You mean 25% of UKTV gold viewers. Hardly representative I think.

Exactly.

The survey is skewed and sensationalised.

EX_STAB said:
You mean 25% of UKTV gold viewers. Hardly representative I think.
Depends on whether they restricted their sample to people who only watch UK Gold.... Not sure how they did that. Talk to them through the telly?

If it was a random sample of the UK population , 3000 is pretty robust. I'm still going to the pub...

25% of people who don't have jobs to go to can't tell fact from fiction? Quel suprise.

Schleswig-Holstein said:

According to this survey reported by the AP, 25% of a large number (3000) of Brits interviewed thought that Winston Churchill was a myth...
Statistically 1 in 4 people I meet should think that Churchill never existed, and yet I have never met anyone who has espoused such a theory. A straw poll of the office has revealed that 100% of my staff believe Churchill existed. Where are all these cretins hiding? Surely they can't all be politicians?!

I work in an office with people from 21 countries and everyone of them knows who Churchill is. I'm guessing this is a well skewed poll using chav types who probably don't even know what day of the week it is. UKGold should be a bit of a pointer.

Well, if Sir Winston was a myth, then so must have been World War 2, now can these pig ignorant melts explain our War Memorials, Rememberance Parades, Ordinary war Graves etc etc. Christ on a Raft, where have these ********* been.

raggedy said:
Well, if Sir Winston was a myth, then so must have been World War 2, now can these pig ignorant melts explain our War Memorials, Rememberance Parades, Ordinary war Graves etc etc. Christ on a Raft, where have these ********* been.
They probably only left school sometime in the last 10 years...

"King Arthur is the mythical figure most commonly mistaken for fact - almost two thirds of teens (65 per cent) believe that he existed and led a round table of knights at Camelot."

Actually there's a fair amount of evidence that there was an 'Arthur' although most of the Arthur we know was invented in the middle ages. Maybe the journo needs some education...

Seanie said:
Biggles wasnt real!!!!!!!!!! :p
of course he was - wasn't he :?

Than fcuck for Luke Skywalker!

Benedictine said:
"King Arthur is the mythical figure most commonly mistaken for fact - almost two thirds of teens (65 per cent) believe that he existed and led a round table of knights at Camelot."

Actually there's a fair amount of evidence that there was an 'Arthur' although most of the Arthur we know was invented in the middle ages. Maybe the journo needs some education...
King Arthur and Robin Hood are both stories that appear based on fact. In a similar way to Sharpe being a hodge podge of stories based on fact, that no ONE man could have hoped to achieve.

I think the current belief on Arthur is that he was either a Roman named Arthuris (spelling)(as per the film "King Arthur") or a Taff named Arthrian (or similar). He/they fought the Saxons, the stories attributed to Arthur appear to have mainly sprung up in the middle ages, but there are anecdotes highly similar to Arthur dating back further.

He/they had a bunch of men too, the round table is "borrowed" from another King/Duke or similar who really did have a round table for p1ss ups so there was no head of the table. Although the King himself sat on a plinth just to point out the fact he was the boss. Through out the meal, the punters could move about freely to talk to one another, as there was no social divide to prevent it.

Can't remember where it was though, either Mercia or Rutland, rings abell. Apparrently the Celts were pretty big on the whole round table/sitting for meetings too. Possibly where it comes from if Arthur was of Celtic origin. Celtic beliefs also required the whole of a village to partake in some punishments also, such as whipping a miscreant by the whole village or the whole village letting go of a rope that held an an axe head (similiar to a guilotene) above a convicted felon.

The reason why many characters were merged in to one is unclear (even Merlin is a hodgepodge of several men (including an a ctual nutter from Scotland)). It is also true though that around this time the Pope of the time (can't think of his name) merged several Pauls/Peters (can't remember which) together in the Bible on the grounds there were too many and also merged all the Marys (bar the obvious one) together also. WHich is why we have the problem of was Mary Magdelene a lady of ill repute AND Jesus' Mrs.

Next you'll be telling me I've gotta explain to the kids that Winnie the Pooh isn't real. Thanks as that's not gonna cause some grief in my house! :wink:

Perhaps if we had Churchill in a video game they would believe he was real and if not at least they would know who he was.

Jockster

Have you not seen "Churchill, the Hollywood years" then?

Looked real to me.

Who did they use for the survey. Inner city reality tv watchin benefits leechin smack headin cokcsuckin mongs, Sorry chavs.
Next thing you'll have governments giving civil rights to terrorists.