25% of Brits think Churchill was myth

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Schleswig-Holstein, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks - more evidence that as a nation, we are screwed.

According to this survey reported by the AP, 25% of a large number (3000) of Brits interviewed thought that Winston Churchill was a myth and 58% thought Sherlock Holmes was real. :?

I'll see you all in the pub.

S-H

2. Thats because 25% of Brits are from somewhere else in EU or even further afield.

3. You mean 25% of UKTV gold viewers. Hardly representative I think.

4. Exactly.

The survey is skewed and sensationalised.

5. Depends on whether they restricted their sample to people who only watch UK Gold.... Not sure how they did that. Talk to them through the telly?

If it was a random sample of the UK population , 3000 is pretty robust. I'm still going to the pub...

6. 25% of people who don't have jobs to go to can't tell fact from fiction? Quel suprise.

7. Statistically 1 in 4 people I meet should think that Churchill never existed, and yet I have never met anyone who has espoused such a theory. A straw poll of the office has revealed that 100% of my staff believe Churchill existed. Where are all these cretins hiding? Surely they can't all be politicians?!

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I work in an office with people from 21 countries and everyone of them knows who Churchill is. I'm guessing this is a well skewed poll using chav types who probably don't even know what day of the week it is. UKGold should be a bit of a pointer.

9. Well, if Sir Winston was a myth, then so must have been World War 2, now can these pig ignorant melts explain our War Memorials, Rememberance Parades, Ordinary war Graves etc etc. Christ on a Raft, where have these ********* been.

10. They probably only left school sometime in the last 10 years...

11. "King Arthur is the mythical figure most commonly mistaken for fact - almost two thirds of teens (65 per cent) believe that he existed and led a round table of knights at Camelot."

Actually there's a fair amount of evidence that there was an 'Arthur' although most of the Arthur we know was invented in the middle ages. Maybe the journo needs some education...

12. Biggles wasnt real!!!!!!!!!! :p

13. of course he was - wasn't he :?

14. Than fcuck for Luke Skywalker!