25 Days Christmas Leave, Leaked Memo

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Defence/article1170479.ece

Could this be true? Found on Twitter. Cant find any MoD news supporting this. What do you all think?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
"Soldiers Take Leave At Christmas Shock! Read All About it!"

Forastero

LE
Pretty much true although it doesn't apply to the Ministry of Defence Main Building!

What next, leave during the summer?!

I'll be arsed if it ever is 25 days. Why would normal leave make a news story? Except when it gets cancelled because of G4S.

hmm, my leave card says 15 days for that period...

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Nobody can read, can you, it lays down the parameters for leave and when units/soldiers can take leave, same as every year-non story.

Now if it had said the Gurkhas HAVE to go on leave as well for Christmas that would be a story.

There is some truth in it:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/officers/190266-buck-shee-christmas-leave-please-help.html#post4725223

The whole army hasn't been 'ordered' to take leave/work from home, but encouraged to and they must still meet operational, duty needs etc.

Its not every military site / building as they are not all part of LF, but it does include RAF/RN working within LF.
It is not unprecidented, for a few years sites have been trying to get people to take extra leave over christmas/new year and to not return for the optional 3 days leave in the middle so that buildings can be shutdown, heating put into frost precautions, lights left off, computers left off (but plugged in so that networks can eb updated) etc

Am I going to have to come off leave to go on leave now so I can complete JPA. Whens New Years Pay day by the way???

Hang on a second, are the Army seriously trying to claim with a straight face that the heating is turned on during the winter?

Gods, only HM Forces could find a reason to drip about getting more time off ;-)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think it is absolutely shocking!!! As I don't get any extra leave at Christmas, maybe I should have 25 days extra pension paid instead ;P :meditate:

Hang on a second, are the Army seriously trying to claim with a straight face that the heating is turned on during the winter?
I'm with Vampy, not only does the heating not go on, its also the traditional time to refurbish the hot water system in both messes and randomly remove 30% of building windows to upgrade them ready for...well the following winter I guess.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Defence/article1170479.ece

Could this be true? Found on Twitter. Cant find any MoD news supporting this. What do you all think?

In a statement, the MoD said: "In recognition of the exceptionally busy year the Army has had both on operations and at home - including vital support to the 2012 London Olympics, fuel tanker drivers' strike and Diamond Jubilee - the usual Christmas leave period has been extended.
"Personnel who are essential to supporting operations will remain on task regardless of this leave period and there will be no impact to the mission in Afghanistan." Duties such as guarding royal palaces would also continue, a spokeswoman said.
From Here;

BBC News - Soldiers given extra Christmas leave as a 'thank you'

...and as usual the journos get it wrong. The "work from home" bit is for the CS who don't have enough leave left. Their other option is to bring forward three days from next year "with the agreement of their line manager" etc etc.

Non story. I've got work to do on the house so I'm looking forward to a bit of leave.

Perhaps we could install a terminal at the Dolphin.And the Priory.And the Bent Brief.
As a Riddings lad I grew up 10 minutes stagger to the Dolphin and The Priory however escaped there 25 years ago and not had a pint in either for over 14 years.........haven't a ******* clue about the Bent Brief though but whilst looking at what career change I am looking for on Resettlement then it could be an option.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Doesn't everybody take a month or two off around Christmas? I mean, there is only so much of 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer' and 'So here it is Merry Christmas' by Slade a chap can take.