25-06 ammunition

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Mick9abf, Feb 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just bought a 25-06 which I intend to use for stalking roe/red deer and clattering foxes.

Anybody got any recommendation for factory ammunition good or bad, I have been thinking 115 grain. The rifle is moderated.
  2. Sorry I can't help having never heard of the calibre before now. I had to take a look at my local hunting shop's webpage to find it (Remington Core-Lokt PSP at around 53 quid for 20).

I presume it's a necked down .30-06? What made you choose the calibre If you don't mind me asking?

3. Yeah it's a necked down 30-06, the calibre was recommended to me by a friend who is a keeper and well into his stalking.

I have shot the calibre before and found it flat shooting so fancied getting one as a change, I usually use a .243 or .308 albeit I will probably chop one of them once I've found ammo I like for the new bang stick.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

With such expensive ammo I would imagine that hand loads is the way to go!
  5. I'v been shooting 25/06 for a long time, way back before you could buy factory ammo to fit and it was a true 'wild cat' caliber, and I had to spend ages necking down 30/06 cases.

25/06 is THE long range varmint blaster.

you cant get the true potential out of it unless you have a heavy BBl rifle fitted with a decent scope.
    over the years i'v tried all weight projies from 90 gn to 120 gn, but setteled on 100 or 115 with around 3000-3200 fps.
    on the 'ol rem 700 i get 1/2 MOA groups with 10 shots no plobs. ( off sandbag or bipod)
    its a tad over-kill on bunnys and possoms ( but the jackson pollark splatter effect is awesome!), I found it perfect for long range wallaby hunting out to 400+ meters.( sometimes even farther)
    for roe and fallow there wouldn't be a much better choice, especialy if its over a distance.

big happy dogs and big heavy barreled rifles............. lifes a bore.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Precisely if distance is the issue then a flat shooting pill pusher is an answer, its not an issue down here so I like to use a reasonable velocity pushing an efficient pill such as 6.5. As stated on other areas I am developing a round which may have service applications but will really be developed for deer control. If it has the right ME at range then it will be looked into later!