25-06 ammunition

Mick9abf

War Hero
Just bought a 25-06 which I intend to use for stalking roe/red deer and clattering foxes.

Anybody got any recommendation for factory ammunition good or bad, I have been thinking 115 grain. The rifle is moderated.

Mick9abf said:
Just bought a 25-06 which I intend to use for stalking roe/red deer and clattering foxes.

Anybody got any recommendation for factory ammunition good or bad, I have been thinking 115 grain. The rifle is moderated.
Sorry I can't help having never heard of the calibre before now. I had to take a look at my local hunting shop's webpage to find it (Remington Core-Lokt PSP at around 53 quid for 20).

I presume it's a necked down .30-06? What made you choose the calibre If you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
T_T

Mick9abf

War Hero
Yeah it's a necked down 30-06, the calibre was recommended to me by a friend who is a keeper and well into his stalking.

I have shot the calibre before and found it flat shooting so fancied getting one as a change, I usually use a .243 or .308 albeit I will probably chop one of them once I've found ammo I like for the new bang stick.

ugly

LE
With such expensive ammo I would imagine that hand loads is the way to go!

I'v been shooting 25/06 for a long time, way back before you could buy factory ammo to fit and it was a true 'wild cat' caliber, and I had to spend ages necking down 30/06 cases.

25/06 is THE long range varmint blaster.

you cant get the true potential out of it unless you have a heavy BBl rifle fitted with a decent scope.
over the years i'v tried all weight projies from 90 gn to 120 gn, but setteled on 100 or 115 with around 3000-3200 fps.
on the 'ol rem 700 i get 1/2 MOA groups with 10 shots no plobs. ( off sandbag or bipod)
its a tad over-kill on bunnys and possoms ( but the jackson pollark splatter effect is awesome!), I found it perfect for long range wallaby hunting out to 400+ meters.( sometimes even farther)
for roe and fallow there wouldn't be a much better choice, especialy if its over a distance.

big happy dogs and big heavy barreled rifles............. lifes a bore.

ugly

LE
Precisely if distance is the issue then a flat shooting pill pusher is an answer, its not an issue down here so I like to use a reasonable velocity pushing an efficient pill such as 6.5. As stated on other areas I am developing a round which may have service applications but will really be developed for deer control. If it has the right ME at range then it will be looked into later!