24/7 call-out?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Jip Travolta, May 16, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ....what's the score re "extra pay" for being on call 24/7/365?

Mate o' mine in NI apparently gets extra pay for this and is allowed a "day without pager/mobile" in order to relax/get píssed every week or so....

Any ideas/info from you good folks?

2. I would expect this is a local arrangement. As far as i'm aware, being on call 24/7 365 is recognised by the AFPRB and is one of the points used when calculating the x factor (that mysterious and probably fictional) amount our pay is increased by to make up for these sort of inconveniences.

I dont know of an allowance payable for being on permenant call. If there is one, i wouldnt mind knowing the details!!

3. Am I right in thinking though, that having a mobile phone strapped to you 24/7 (and being expected to respond to it) is much the same as being on duty 24/7?....... :-/

4. All depends on the likelihood of the pager/mobile phone going off and what response is expected. Civil Service attract extra pay for carrying a pager and I think this is one for mil personnel that slots into the x factor argument already put forward.

5. Bit of a dangerous thread isn't it ?  I'm sure someone once told me that being an ARAB is about 24/7/365, better watch out or some smart cookie in HMG might suggest that those who aren't on call/duty/carrying pagers get a negative x factor applied for that bit of slack....

...........I am of course playing devil's advocate here so don't all bite at once....

S.

6. ...three years without being able to go on der píss.......awful........ :mad: