24,000 military passes missing

[url=http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1955711.html][color=blue]ananova.com[/color][/url] said:
More than 24,000 passes giving access to sensitive military sites and Whitehall offices have gone missing over the past three years.

The extent of the problem has raised fresh concerns over security measures following the foiling of the alleged terrorist plot to blow up passenger planes last week.

Figures released in response to Parliamentary questions showed the Ministry of Defence had lost track of 22,731 passes belonging to members of the armed forces since 2004.

More than 4,600 belonging to military personnel have disappeared since the beginning of this year - although it is not known what proportion were stolen as opposed to misplaced.

Six other Whitehall departments have also disclosed that nearly 200 of their passes have been stolen, as well as just over 2,000 lost.

They are the Department for Education and Skills; Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; the Department for International Development; the Department for Trade and Industry; the Treasury, and the Department of Constitutional Affairs (DCA).

The DCA, although it has figures for 2004-05, it has not compiled a total for this year.

In all, 24,992 passes are said to have gone missing over the past three years.

Liberal Democrat President Simon Hughes, who tabled the questions to get the figures, said they made "worrying reading" in a time of heightened alert.

"Too many passes which give access to crucial public buildings and sensitive state information have either been lost or stolen, and the MoD and the DTI are the only departments who have seen a consistent reduction in these numbers. Government requests to others to improve security will only carry authority and respect if the Government puts its own security in order."
8O WTF are you all doing with your passes?!

Ermmmmm, do the 17 (ish) that i have in my car (that I probably should have handed in at some point) count?

Only another 23,983 to go then!

I've sold them all on ebay.

As used by the Paras/Marines/SAS.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
JEM if you can correctly identify the 1950's black and white film in which the immortal line : << Snorkers -good oh ! >> was first uttered
( here's a clue: Terry Wogan wasn't in it) I will restore your stolen ID pass. :D

Yours aye,

'Fingers' Le Chevre

Goatman said:
JEM if you can correctly identify the 1950's black and white film in which the immortal line : << Snorkers -good oh ! >> was first uttered
( here's a clue: Terry Wogan wasn't in it) I will restore your stolen ID pass. :D

Yours aye,

'Fingers' Le Chevre
Ask the audience???? I know I know.

Twas on the Compass Rose.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes_Sir! said:
Goatman said:

Yours aye,

'Fingers' Le Chevre
Ask the audience???? I know I know.

Twas on the Compass Rose.

Shhh - don't spoil it.....one at a time , hands up only.....

When did passes from "Department for Education and Skills; Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; the Department for International Development; the Department for Trade and Industry; the Treasury, and the Department of Constitutional Affairs (DCA)." give access to "sensitive military sites"?

Security is not a dirty word.

As said by the Wing W02 in DST Leconsfield.

Oh the memories!!!!!

I have 4 MoD ones and 3 from DEFRA, all of which should have been returned, problem is they keep giving me 2, one for the car and one for me, on returning I hand in my pass and forget the one on the dashboard...opps

I miss my old RAF F1250- it was great for scraping the ice off my windscreen. (Although the old blue one was better as it didn't have the plastic film which could peel off after too much scraping.)

Goatman said:

Yours aye,

'Fingers' Le Chevre

Cruel C :?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed....Stanley Baker as Jimmy the One (" and don't you forget it ! "),the much missed Denholm Elliott as the barrister at sea whose glamour puss biatch was doing the dirty on him.

plus Jack 'there are some men..... in the water...just about there....how's his bearing now Number One ? ' Hawkins

Sterling stuff by George :).....Steward! Two more gins here - and go easy on the bitters damn you !

Le Chevre (Matelot Brevete d'ancien)

Latest Threads