23740160 Gunner D.T. Neighbour Royal Artillery.


Hello all, I am researching 23740160 Gnr D.T. Neighbour R.A.
I am in possession of a Campaign Service Medal issued to Gnr Neighbour with three clasps.
They are Borneo,Dhofar and Northern Ireland.
I have a particular interest in the Dhofar campaign, my father having served in the Sultanate of Oman Armed Forces on loan service and then for a further Twelve years after he left the British Army.
I would be very grateful for any information on this soldier if possible.
@Zip I used to do a lot of this, and subscribed to numerous genealogy sites, but I don't have the time and my subscriptions have all lapsed. However, the medal was recently sold, and steers are easy to find. To trace an individual, you need to know the person’s full name, date of birth and service number.

Where to apply:

Other ranks who served after 1920, officers who served after 1922 including those who served during the Second World War and members of the Home Guard (except Durham):– service records are held by the Army Personnel Centre. Full records will be released to proven next of kin. Only very basic information about deceased service personnel will be released to other enquirers, with slightly more detail made available 25 years after the date of death. The fee is currently £30 and there may be a lengthy wait for this service.

The UK Gov's military service records page is at Get a copy of military service records.

For general research purposes that may not be relevant to your enquiry, the Arrsepedia has qualified info and guidance (self-help) :

You can apply to government for the military service records of someone who’s deceased (as well as your own records), but you must be eligible, for example if you’re ex-service or an immediate next of kin, or you’re a third party with family permission.

Apply for the records of someone who's deceased
You can apply for a copy of someone else’s service records if any of the following apply: you’re their immediate next of kin, for example their spouse or parent, or you’ve got consent from their immediate next of kin.

Or if you have a general research interest, you’ll only have access to limited information, unless they died more than 25 years ago.

Fill in 2 forms - a request form and a search form
There are forms for you to complete, on the UK Gov Get a copy of military service records page.

See here for info on The General Service Medal (GSM) 1962-2007, "awarded to army, RAF, Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel meeting the criteria."

Unless you know otherwise, my first thought is that this guy may still be alive and if he isn't his mates may be; so some contact with the Royal Artillery old comrades body might yield first hand information.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Effendi US 17
BratMedic The Book Club 0
Z Gunners 1

Latest Threads