230V - 12V Transformer +200W

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Krieg-Hammer, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got 4x 50W 12V downlights for the bathroom. Struggling to find a transformer thats rated to suit. Anyone know where I may get one?
  2. Why not take them back, and get 4x 240V downlighters. They are dirt cheap,and you can get 240V downlighters rated for bathrooms and damp areas. IMO much cheaper and safer than trying to source a transformer.
    I,m not an Electrician, but my bathroom hasn't set alight yet.
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Try Screwfix...they have several different types...you probably won't find one that will cover all 4, but there are 60W ones for about £6 each, so one per light.

Or you could down rate the bulbs to 20W and cover all 4 with the larger one at 150W.

Or as Hairyarse says go 240V...although in the bathroom i think 24V means you avoid the legal regulations...but again not a qualified electrician so don't take my word for it.

4. Thanks for the info. One of the lights is above the shower so not keen on 230V being above my head. I'll have a look in screwfix tomorrow. I already tried 4x 20W and they are abit dull to be honest.

5. Google TLC

Failing that, any of the B&Q type places will sell them, you dont actually have to have one per light fitting, or indeed one for all, as long as the W = Transformer output, you are fine, but word of advice, always go a bit above the required, ie, if it totals 200W go for a 250W transformer and so on.

Same goes for dimmers, always go that bit above required usage.

Also, you can always change the 50W lamps for 30W.

On the note of 240V, it depends where they are located in your bathroom, ie which zone they are in.
    If you do have one above your shower, then it needs to be IP rated to suit, and also LV, so stick with the LV and get the transformers to suit.
  6. One of my lights are above the shower head, but it has an extractor fan fitted around it. Got it from B&Q for approx £30.00. It was designed for that purpose.

Edited to add,

It was a couple of years ago when I fitted it, but I think it came with its own transformer.

Edited once again.

Just saw Grens post below and checked the bulb,and it is a 12 volt bulb, so obviously it came with its own transformer.

7. Any light fitted as an integral light/extract above a shower has to be IP rated to suit and LV, ie 12V, regardless of where the fan is, and usually in this situation, in the loft.
    If yours is 240V then it fails regulation, and is therefore illegal, and will nullify your house insurance should it go up in smoke because of it.

Just as a word of caution, just because B&Q sell it, doesnt mean it is within the regs.

Sorry to sound all jobsworth, but the building regs are shite at the best of times, and i have to pay a lot of different agencies, to be able to my job, (if I were Polish it might be different) but those of us who do this for a living have to follow them.
    And as such, you cant just fit anything, regardless what B&Q sell you.
  8. Try this 210W downlight transformer from these guys TLC They do one at 250w but it appears out of stock tonight.
    Branches around the country, kit's good quality and fair price. They deliver too.

If you're feeling eco-green (and wealthy) you could try LED lights which would be only a few watts each...
  9. Its easier to replace my existing transformer with a suitable one since all my wiring is in place. Chnage that, change the bulbs. Sorted :)

Thanks for the link. I'll wait til they are in stock again for the 250W transformer.
  10. Oh and they are much chedaper than screwfix! They wanted £30 or so.
  11. you want this lot, trade counters open to public 70+ branches linky

12. Voltage doesn't kill you, current does.
  13. Bulb? you growing plants now? its a feckin lamp :( ;)
  14. Yup I know that.... all it takes is 20mA..... Lower voltage is safer.. Hence why 110V is used for hand tools on sites as it drops the potential fault current below what may kill you.
  15. You should know that it's against the law for you to carry out any electrical work in your bathroom unless you are a Part P qualified electrician.