230,000 Nippon Coffin Dodgers Missing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stickybomb, Sep 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought there was a thread about the world's oldest man on here but the search pixies didn't find it.
    Seems there's more to the problem that just one family...
  2. Were they involved in railway construction? The Japs did seem to loose alot of people that way.
  3. Cripes. I thought UK was the world leader in benefit fraud and dumb authorities.... 230,000 centenarians is a rather conspicuous demographic group to go missing - didn't they notice indicators like the lack of take-up of geriatric care & medicine for these people?
  4. Perhaps the authorities thought they were all in London watching the changing of the guard...
  5. I wonder if it's anything to do with the ancient and supposedly now defunct custom of 'obashiteyama' (literally, 'leaving granny on the mountain') ?

When the Grandmother was too elderly or infirm, the eldest son used to take her for a walk in the hills or forest and leave her there.

Bit like the modern day First World custom of dumping confused granny at the door of the care home and fleeing the scene.

Although it supposedly died out centuries ago and was done with the tacit compliance of the aged grandparent, I have a vison of grannies all over Japan boning up on their map-reading skills and investing in GPS devices-just in case.
  6. Possibly many are still living in the jungle on some remote island thinking the war is still on :-http://www.wanpela.com/holdouts/list.html :)
  7. Were the last known addresses in Hiroshima or Nagasaki?
  8. Careless of them!