23 selection

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by xxx74, Nov 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im doing selection for 23 sas starting next feb. i wondered if anyone has done it before and could give me the heads up, cheers.

2. hi mate,be prepared to take a year out of your life for selection,and if you fail then be prepared for another year,
    aim to get your bft times down so get your trainers on mate,9 mins should be good.
    get some weight on your back and start pounding the streets with a bergen ,start off small and then build up the weight.
    finally get to brecon and get some time in on the hills,
    pen-y-fan is a good start,go up and down that all day and you'll get a good idea of selection.
    in general mate,i dont mean to be rude but if you haven't done much fizz then its abit too late too start,sorry but you dont state your age or your fitness levels.
    its not all about the fizzz though either, practice some map reading.
    hope this helps

Attached Files:

3. i do my bft in about 8.30 mins. im just starting to carry some weight, and im off to wales soon. im 30 but to be hinest i feel fitter now than ive ever done. i used to be in the raf regiment so have an idea of what its like carrying weight, where you in 23 then?

4. hit the hills work on nav little weight(25lb is plenty) at weekends start with 15k and build up then gradualy increase weight make sure your training is structured and varied plenty of circuits, fast runs,intervals, hills reps,swims ,gym , and stretching ask RRTT for a training programme what sqn are you going for? personaly for hills id get on the hills you will be doing selection on and for 23 for the most part thats not wales scotland is a good place to look as there is some severe climbs that start at sea level climbing to 800m plus in sted of the 400m or so you climb on the fan cant stress motivation enough you have to not just want to pass but to SERVE and that means coping with wet cold lack of sleep etc its not glory its hard work train outside your comfort area get motivation right and have a crack good luck

5. A friend tells me that you could do worse than to look at Adrian Weale's book Fighting Fit. Click on the link below and then click on the cover of the book: that will give you a preview of the contents.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0752805894/?tag=armrumser-21

What he says basically chimes 100% with gemill's advice. But it's in a lot more detail (obviously - it's a book) with some very practical hints. Best thing about it is that it is about military fitness, and specifically SAS, P Coy and Cdo selection, rather than the usual fitness stuff. So there is clear guidance on running with weight, nav practice and so on.

In fact, despite the title and schoolboyish cover, I reckon it is a good book for anyone thinking of improving their fitness with a military aim in mind. It starts with general fitness and exercise routines you can do at home and outside for no (or barely any) cost and then builds up from there. It even covers diet in detail. I'd recommend it even to punters joining the TA, provided they kept away from trying out the pre-selection stuff too early.

Some of the Amazon reviews say that it tells you no more than what you already know from Army (or in your case RAF Regt) PT training. Yeah, well, maybe. I think it does a good job of setting out a training plan of gradually increasing toughness. Plus it keeps reiterating the "no magic answer" point.

Ah, feck it. Just buy it and read it: it's only about a fiver.

6. Dr_E, I bought that book out of curiosity (the title would have put me off TBH) on your recommendation. Its a real gem!

Contains really good info about general fitness and nutrition as well as useful map and compass stuff - all of which is damn useful for "ordinary" soldiering. I would strongly urge anyone thinking about the TA/Regular Army or just starting out to get a copy and read it

I'm going to get a few in to give to members of my troop.

7. :D

Thanks. In light of what you've said, I've posted a more complete review of the book on Amazon.co.uk. Should appear in a day or two.

8. You could also try Chris Ryan's SAS Fitness Book. It does not give specific routines for Selection but does give good, basic information on various forms of CV training.
    The downside is that Ryan is very heavily(no pun intended)into weight training and at least half the book is taken up with pumping iron. Ryan does mention his own training schedule for 23 SAS
    Selection, which does give an idea of the level to aim for, as well as the dangers of over-training.
    For what it's worth my own advice is keep it simple; 5-6 runs per week, regular swims and gym sessions and, most important of all, spend as much time as possible on the hills.
    Good luck!

9. I could swear there is a massive thread on this elsewhere in the TA forum

10. XXX All the info on here is good stuff but there is a much simpler way to get hold of accurate info. There are endless myths and misconceptions about SAS(R) based on hearsay, speculation, old stories and bits culled from "The Quiet Soldier" (a great book by the way, but obviously very out of date regarding the tests). If you listen to that there's a strong chance you'll subconciously hype it up when selection is hard enough as it is.

Have you actually spoken to 23 yet? If you have then they should have sent you an info pack laying out exactly how to prepare.

It thoroughly covers diet, phys in general and lays down a training programme to follow. With respect, its more reliable and relevant than the books above. And its free.

Good luck.

11. Funnily enough I have had a copy of fighting fit for over 10 years (mine has a picture of some lads doing a BFT on the front and no mention of the SAS).

I have to confess it has done nothing to help me. It failed to prevent me drinking loads of beer whilst slumped in fron of the TV eating pissa and generally becoming a fat ******.

However, in the new year, as in every year I shall pull it off the book shelf and make a commitment to get fit again, which will last until the first major beer session.

Seriously though, as a fitness training book it is the best I have seen and covers everything you need to know, with several training programes based on the desired final outcome.

12. I was doing some research and your post came up on Google, how did you get on with selection ? I did D Sqn in Manchester twenty or so years ago. Got the boot on the final hurdle, there was only ten of us left and 4 of the ten got badged. One minor consolation was that they asked me back for another crack at it and so I put in plenty of personal training up on Saddleworth Moor, running around with a bergen etc. But life moved on and I was given a job abroad, so I left Manchester in 1984. Incidentally, two of the guys that passed were 'second timers' so to speak. I bumped into one of them in Germany on a job and asked him if having the knowledge made any difference to his second try at selection - he said catagorically that it helped alot - anyway, I wish you well in your endeavours.
    Yours sincerely
    RW

13. Is that 'good'??? I would expect 7.30 or 8mins at worst.

But who am I to judge.

14. msr

msr LE

Yawn.

Read the FAQ before I delete the thread....

msr