23 sas pre selection training

hi all

im having a crack at selection and the pre selection course starts in feb 07.
i know i can pass the BPFA CFT and SF swimming test but i'm having problems with borom levels when running any further than 3 miles .

any advice ?

you mean boredom??

Perhaps if you get bored after three miles you will have a lot of trouble with selection and you try RLC maybe??

orange_screech said:
hi all

im having a crack at selection and the pre selection course starts in feb 07.
i know i can pass the BPFA CFT and SF swimming test but i'm having problems with borom levels when running any further than 3 miles .

any advice ?
yeah.

1. Stop big timing it.
2. Run faster.

Just explain you find it boring and they'll let you miss the long tabs. I didn't like carrying weight in basic training so the DS let me do it without a bergan.

sorry about the spelling.. can't let the gaffer see me on the net..
1 i'm not big timing it i just wanted some honest advice.
2 whats a walt.

don't get me wrong i can keep going and going with the best of them but after 3 miles all i can think about is that i'm running and i've still got loads to go.

has anyone got any advice on how to amuse/ entertain myself on long runs

thanks

orange_screech said:
2 whats a walt.

don't get me wrong i can keep going and going with the best of them but after 3 miles all i can think about is that i'm running and i've still got loads to go.

thanks
You've failed selection before even starting!!

I suggest that you vary your gait as you run.

This approach seems to be very popular and is, I understand, the preferred SAS method of crossing open ground quickly.

Link

MODs, if I am breaching OPSEC here, please let me know.

orange_screech said:
2 whats a walt.

thanks

Try running over rough ground, the Black Mountains for instance, then use a map and compass to ensure you're on the right course and keep reminding yourself if you don't hit you're time you're binned, alternatively put your ipod on and turn up Kylie.

Try putting one hand down your trousers and giving yourself a tug as you run.

For extra excitement try and time it so that you get to the tickly bit just as you arrive at the RV.

Dont turn up to selection with an MP3 player though, the DS will go mental! Use it for training initially by all means but then phase it out. Think about what the regiment have to do on ops and why selection is set out the way it is, in other words you ain't gonna have an MP3 player when your on a 60k e&e. Selection is basically about having the motivation to keep going, you have to have the mentality to go beyond the boredom.

orange_screech said:
2 whats a walt.

thanks
A "walt" is how you should address a member of SAS selection DS as opposed to "staff" as in the rest of the Army.
:?

F*** it

If you're bored after twenty minutes running, how are you going to deal with the tedium of slogging up hill and down dale for hour after hour after hour...............?
There is very little excitement upon the road you are about to embark on, extreme effort, discomfort and yes, pain, but not much in the way of fun and games.
No offence, but are you sure you are emotionally suited to this role?