23 SAS fitness

Hello

I'm considering doing reserve selection.
I read that you shouldn't consider attempting selection without being able to run 10 miles in under an hour.

Anyone here done selection, and be able to tell me (roughly) what fitness levels should you be doing before knocking on their door?

Cheers

what is that supposed to mean? you don't know who i am, or what age
i believe the learned gentleman is referring to the fact that its normally some speccy 14 year old whos been playing too much call of duty that starts threads like these. I may be wrong of course, I often am

well, i'm not14, but fair enough
I'm a reserve Soldier and i'm getting pretty bored of the same weekends, I like my Unit but its becoming repetitive.
p.s. Can't be done with the CoD mob, i don't play computer games at all

To the OP:

Have you ever watched "SAS: Are you tough enough?" IIRC the assortment of civillian wannabes were hand picked from 1,000 applicants to undergo SAS selection. Many were very fit people including marathon runners, tri-athletes and fell runners.

Most failed to complete the course and only four survived to finish. I recall that none of the four would have technically passed SAS selection.

Good practise is get a mate to drop you somewhere in the mountains you ain't been before, at about 0100 fri/sat morning and then run and walk until Sunday after noon without stopping.

Hello

I'm considering doing reserve selection.
I read that you shouldn't consider attempting selection without being able to run 10 miles in under an hour.

Anyone here done selection, and be able to tell me (roughly) what fitness levels should you be doing before knocking on their door?

Cheers
You ask how fit?

I thought I was fit, once. I was doing a lot of phys and, while I never considered reserve selection, it's good I didn't (speaking to those I know who did!).

It's all about your mental state (assuming you are actually quite fit). How resilient & tough are you? Do you ever give up and think '**** it'? Do you need the encouragement of others? Etc.

HTH. Good luck.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but why not add stimulus to your current position? instead of buggering off.. surely if you spoke to the right people, and explained you do not feel "challenged" enough, and could offer more to your unit, they would put you on a course, if you are a fitness lover, perhaps the PTI course? or the TA P Coy / AACC? just my 2c

Erm, having met some chaps from 21 and 23, I'd say not that fit. It's 3 K's an hour, which should not be beyond the capabilities of most soldiers. Chatting to them, they all said it's mainly down to staying injury free during test week. Obviously being fitter makes it easier to avoid picking up certain injuries.

Run a lot, tab a lot, give it a go, if you fail, learn what you could do more of and try again.

One thing to bear in mind is that you will be spending a lot of time alone. Plenty of time to ask yourself "why am I doing this?"
Doing 3k an hour is not that easy BTW. It's 3k as the crow flies, which is a pisser when there's a lake in the way!

1) Buy bergen
2) Fill bergen with weight
3) Find hills
4) Run round the ******* in all weather
5) Make sure your map reading is spot on

You can probs swap 1 and 5 around

Latest Threads