23 Mar. Suez Canal blocked.

XPara Mugg

War Hero
It's all become clear. Someone let a squaddie have a go on
1617479471381.png

I'm not convinced how much we can rely this. The Jerusalem Post report sais it was some days later that tugging operations even started. :boogie:

"Dredgers had removed some 20,000 tonnes of sand from around its bow by Friday, but tugging operations to free the ship were suspended overnight."

Too subtle?

Last edited:

Union Jack

Old-Salt
I stand corrected - thank you!
Dare I add, for those both sitting and standing, my understanding that the quoted amusing variations of the original old saw stemmed from:

"There were gentlemen and there were seamen in the navy of Charles the Second. But the seamen were not gentlemen; and the gentlemen were not seamen." - Thomas Babington Macaulay

I'd like to think that at least some of us managed to be a bit of both.... :rolleyes:

Jack

NSP

LE
That Suez pilot game someone posted upthread - piece of cheese.

Open the taps all the way, ease it around the bend and then when it gives you the hurricane from the west put a bit of left hand down to aim the bow towards the west bank and crab up the remainder of the ditch to the top of the screen and claim the glory...

2021-04-03_22-47-40.jpg

She was the youngest and first female captain.

Yeah, she's also the oldest and first.

Great journalism from the BBC, again.

She was also:

"At the time of the Suez blockage, Ms Elselehdar was working as a first mate, in command of the Aida IV, hundreds of miles away in Alexandria."

and:

Next month Marwa Elselehdar will be taking her final exam to attain a full rank of captain, and hopes she can continue to be a role model for women in the industry.

So perhaps she is not yet the captain, whether she is or she isn't; I would

Much of the BBC article seems to have been cut & pasted from here

TamH70

MIA
She was also:

"At the time of the Suez blockage, Ms Elselehdar was working as a first mate, in command of the Aida IV, hundreds of miles away in Alexandria."

and:

Next month Marwa Elselehdar will be taking her final exam to attain a full rank of captain, and hopes she can continue to be a role model for women in the industry.

It's common naval tradition to call anyone in charge of a sea-going vessel "Captain" or "Skipper" regardless of actual held rank.

It's common naval tradition to call anyone in charge of a sea-going vessel "Captain" or "Skipper" regardless of actual held rank.

My point is that if she was "in command" she wouldn't be the first mate, she would be the captain. As first mate she would be second in command. Also it appears she has not yet passed her master's ticket. On the odd occasion I was on ships where there was no captain ( the ships were in port) the first mate, me on one occasion, was nominally in command but not referred to as captain, if any title was required it was "officer in charge".

She was also:

and:

Given that article, it makes the piss poor effort from the BBC look even sloppier.

TamH70

MIA
My point is that if she was "in command" she wouldn't be the first mate, she would be the captain. As first mate she would be second in command. Also it appears she has not yet passed her master's ticket. On the odd occasion I was on ships where there was no captain ( the ships were in port) the first mate, me on one occasion, was nominally in command but not referred to as captain, if any title was required it was "officer in charge".

Well, you do the job whereas I am merely an interested observer who's only been at sea twice in his life-time, so I will bow to your superior knowledge.

Well, you do the job whereas I am merely an interested observer who's only been at sea twice in his life-time, so I will bow to your superior knowledge.

I do not seek to denigrate this lady's achievements, to get as far as she has is excellent work in any country and perhaps more so in one as male dominated as Egypt. As said above the BBC's journalism is pretty piss poor.

This lady was not to blame for any blockages:

View attachment 562420

Indeed, quite the opposite.

I do not anticipate any problems in most situations. However, she may want to let somebody else to take over on the occasions when she docks alongside, which is the maritime equivalent of parallel parking.

It's all become clear. Someone let a squaddie have a go on the wheel.

I though that's got to be a hoax,
Snopes says nope.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I do not seek to denigrate this lady's achievements, to get as far as she has is excellent work in any country and perhaps more so in one as male dominated as Egypt. As said above the BBC's journalism is pretty piss poor.
"After graduating, Marwa rose to the rank of first mate, and captained the Aida IV when it became the first vessel to navigate the newly-expanded Suez Canal in 2015. At the time, she was the youngest and first female Egyptian captain to cross the waterway."

This is the exact paragraph in the report.

It's all in the wording, I suppose.

TamH70

MIA
Dover-Calais or Larne-Stranraer?

The former, well, plus Calais-Dover. On a slow-ass Sealink ferry on the way to a calamitous ski-ing holiday in Austria.

Latest Threads