22yr Siggie

#1
Whilst the mind was idling yesterday, I got to wondering, does anyone know of anyone that made it the full 22 years and emerged as a siggie, having never risen above that rank at any point in their career? I am sure there must have been a few that were promoted and bust, but has anyone ever done the full 22 without ever being promoted? Also are the rumours true that they still get an RSM's pension?
 

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
Not the RSM's pension again!!! The answer is no.

Secondly, if someone had been in for approaching 22 years and had never made it above siggie, they would in all probability have been shown the door.
 
#3
ExTech said:
Also are the rumours true that they still get an RSM's pension?
Yup....of course they're true! A bill-oddie that was sh1te enough to make it to 22years as a career retard is surely worthy of a WO1s pension.

Boil your head will you.
 
#5
I still maintain that this is one of the best rumours ever. The ultimate financial reward for the ultimate failure...
 
#6
It is true but the powers that be know this and promote said feckwit to L/cpl in the last 6 months of his time so they don't have to pay up.

So it is true but no one has ever managed to prove it as the COC are all evil.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#7
A chum of mine who is 49 is still a Marine in the RMR and has always turned down promotion. He still plays rugby as well. He has a high powered civ job and doesn't need the extra hassles at weekends. I know that being a part timer is not the same but....
 

Alsacien

MIA
Moderator
#8
BuggerAll said:
A chum of mine who is 49 is still a Marine in the RMR and has always turned down promotion. He still plays rugby as well. He has a high powered civ job and doesn't need the extra hassles at weekends. I know that being a part timer is not the same but....
Suprised he can still get into work on a Monday after playing rugby at 49, I found damage recovery too slow even in my 30's.....he must enjoy suffering :)
 
#9
RSM's pension? As much truth in it as the legendary bus load of nurses bombing down the autobahn from BMH Rinteln. :?

When I first joined 1 ADSR back in 73, it had a fair few 22 year Siggies, some with National Service behind them and at least one of them was as camp as Larry Grayson!
We also dined out a chap at 280 Sig Sqn back in 1996 who left as a 22-year Siggie and the following week was back on the main gate as a MGS-type! He had made the dizzy heights of LCpl at one stage, but took the rap for a PRI scandal at 21 Sig Regt and was bust down, had a spell in Colly and was allowed to stag on.
Married to a German lass, he had his own house in St Tonis, so probably ended up better off than a lot of people. He was also "the ugliest man in BAOR" and there was some stiff competition! :)
 
#10
TA lad in 31, at Southfields S***y S****** who did 25 years as a siggy and the regiment was ORDERED to make him a LCpl. If you met him, you would know EXACTLY why he was never considered for promotion.
 
#11
Alsacien said:
I knew one in Blandford around '88-89, Eric the Ancient, but I think he had been bust from lance jack at least once....
There was a fella called Ray in Radex in 90-91ish.

There was also the lad who worked in the stores at 21..... can't for the life of me remember his name. 82ish. Real oddball. The rumours about him were many and various. Things like the Sparky Bank writing to the CO because he never took money out as he lived in his PT kit and ate in the cookhouse every meal. He was also supposed to have been a Staffy that killed his wife and kids in a car crash and it sent him round the bend. He went to the School and evidently got locked up on a No2s parade for having good conduct stripes on his uniform.

Surely someone else remembers him? I can see his face, but his name escapes me.
 
#12
Completely true. It's in one of the annexes at the back of QRs, just underneath the one about being able to get away with punching the bloke who wakes you up at reveille, as long as you do it within a 5 second window.

Para 9.402b The "Siggy WO1 pension paradox" refers.

Same rules for officers who don't rise above 2Lt - they get a Lt Col's pension.
 
#13
I did my Ptarmigan Trg in Verden in 85, I was 24 Bde Sig Sqn but we did it with 21 Sig Regt and there as a Liney Siggie just appraoching his 22 yr point.

Rumour had it that he had been a Cpl but was bust for punching the officer.

Becuase the Officer was so unpopular and was generally considered to require a good punching he got to serve on.

He was excellent at his job and basically treated as a CPL by everyone.
 
#14
83/84 at 28 Sigs in St Tonis, Papa troop had a 22 year siggie, Bob ? (surname escapes me at the mo), never even been recommended, was gettin out to live with his mum. I had only been there a few weeks out of training and found myself telling him what to do...

Legend in the bar, but not in the gym...

Happy days, would never happen now, life was so different...
 
#15
the_guru said:
Alsacien said:
I knew one in Blandford around '88-89, Eric the Ancient, but I think he had been bust from lance jack at least once....
There was a fella called Ray in Radex in 90-91ish.

There was also the lad who worked in the stores at 21..... can't for the life of me remember his name. 82ish. Real oddball. The rumours about him were many and various. Things like the Sparky Bank writing to the CO because he never took money out as he lived in his PT kit and ate in the cookhouse every meal. He was also supposed to have been a Staffy that killed his wife and kids in a car crash and it sent him round the bend. He went to the School and evidently got locked up on a No2s parade for having good conduct stripes on his uniform.

Surely someone else remembers him? I can see his face, but his name escapes me.
There was a siggie at 1 Div in the seventies nicknamed Munch, the same story was told about him. He was "Dolly Dimple" and worked in the QM stores, attended a parade every morning at the guard room to ensure he was correctly dressed. He had about 15 years service in at that point but there seemed to be no rush to bin him.
 
#17
What about TANKY Sherman bust from Sgt to siggy if I recall for having a few SA80ies in his flat?

Gary I won't tell them it was you who told him that they were in the back of that unguarded 4 tonner OK .

He made a few back ranks prior to his discharge I recall. :D
 
#18
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drnkbstd REME 5
cherryhamblin Army Reserve 4
A_Knocker_Till_The_End Army Pay, Claims & JPA 13

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top