22LR. ruger 10/22 or simple bolt action e.g anshuntz

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by pvtmccheyne, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi there looking to do a bit of pest control on the farm, sorted out license now what would yo reccomend in the 22LR field semi auto or bolty? i rarely shoot further than 100 yards.

2. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

I use a bolt action BRNO with a moderator. I find the bolt is actually quieter than semi auto and I can usually get about five bunnies before they realise it is not something they're eating.

3. ok cheers mate, what rounds do you use subs? and also with a moderator what sort of bullet drop is ther with your BRNO?

4. I'd go for the ruger. Cheap, loads of parts available to improve accuracy if needed. When you are lamping at night from the top of a 4x4 you don't want to have to cycle the bolt all the time. With a semi you can just maintain the aim and keep firing.

5. yeah i was gonna go for the 10/22 and then also get a cz 17 hmr bolt action for the longer range

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Good bet, until recently I had a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger 77/17 hmr. Both were great.

Top tip, get an after market trigger assembly for the 10/22, the stock ones are really quite shit.

7. yeah im looking out for a grt 111 trigger for it heard there much better

8. With a 10/22 cheap and very easy fix is to replace the metal bolt stop with a plastic one: substantially reduces one source of metal on metal clack

9. I loved my 10/22T (target barrel) plus moderator. It seemed well balanced and comfortable. I agree totally with the trigger tip - but don't bother with the bigger after market mags.

There are one or two 'pro's' on here who scorn the Ruger (partly because of the trigger mechanism) and I'm sure they'll pop up at some point.

10. Ravers

Yep, I'm expecting that at some point too. The fact is the Ruger is fun, cheap and easy to live with and you don't look like a member of a US swat team like you do with many other .22 autos.

I think they're great.

11. Ravers

12. I've got a 10/22 and a 17 CZ.

Both are good for bunnies and I agree with what everyone has posted about the 10/22

As an aside, I took 19 rabbits with mine this afternoon and then relaxed with 100 rounds rapid "target" practice

13. does anyone have the stainless barrel 10/22 heard that mixed reviews people either love it or hate it!

14. I had a stainless bbl 10/22, never noticed any diff from anyother 10/22.

the Ruger 10/22 is THE .22lr semi to judge all others by.

a lot of people dont like them, yes they are at the 'cheaper' end of the market, but you are getting good value for bucks IMHO.
    also theres more custom bits and after market parts for the 10/22 than any other .22 semi out there, its a small bore customisers wet dream.
    over the last few decades the quality of manufacture has deteriorated, they arnt as well finished now as the earlier ones, your better off buying an old as poss second-hand one and pimping it up for the same coin than buying a new one. no joke.
    the triggers have allways been crap on them, the first job is to replace with a decent after market set of trips asap.

the best thing about the 10/22 is the rotary 10 shot mag. it is THE most reliable .22lr feed system for semi .22's ever designed or made, if you go for the larger 25rd stack 'banana' style mags your going to get a lot more stoppages, better to get yourself a pocket full of the Ruger 10 shot rotarys,
    and its because of the rotary mag and the options to up-grade/customise why I always recommend the 10/22 to a customer whos looking for a budget semi-auto .22

now that said, have you had a goog look at a GSG-5? yeh, yeh, i know its a mp-5 wannabe, but it also is great to pimp-up and its a LOT of fun, and the mag on it is the best .22lr stack mag i have ever come across (but still not as good as the ruger rotary)

like buying a car, when getting yourself a new gat you need to test drive it to see if its what you want, not everyone likes the same things, and what appeals to others may not flick your switch at all.