.22lr pistols to Sec 1 e-petition

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by sunnoficarus, Nov 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No it isn't.

No politician is going to risk being on the front page of the Mail next to the picture of a 'Slain Tragedy Tot'.
  2. The inability of a few people to practice pistol shooting is, in my opinion, outweighed by the benefits of not having the things (even .22) in public ownership, even if those owners have oustandingly high common sense, and the best motives.

But e-petitions do precisely that for me - representation without, er, representation. Political genius.
  3. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Even though more people have spontaneously combusted than have been killed by legally owned .22 pistols?

Do we remove everything from the public that could cause harm to others?
    • Like Like x 8
  4. Pray tell VM what are the benefits of not having pistols, even .22, in public ownership? If we want to cut down on accidents and deliberate misuse of potentially hazardous items, then I can think of a dozen things perhaps even more, but pistols are not on that list.
    Oh a please not the usual propaganda rubbish. I've heard it all before.

No I don't own a 22 pistol.
  5. Actually, whilst I'm ambivalent about the parliamentary time that went into legislating against pistols, I'm pretty sure I don't want them wasting time to rescind it. Same with foxhunting really.

My view is that firearms are a tool, primarily. So I support civil ownership of target rifles and shotguns for personal and commercial purposes, and a sport seems a logical extension of that. IMHO automatic (and semi) weapons belong with the forces and the police - who used to be a force.

.22 pistols as a firearm don't fit. If you want to compete then what's wrong with an air pistol?
  6. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Surely the same argument extends to 'whats wrong with an air rifle?

Most olympic pistol events are, Standard pistol, 5 shot semi auto pistols. Centrefire pistol, again five shot centre fire, Free pistol-single shot pistol.

I don't think you are likely to see a police force or military outfit using a .22 pistol.

Bet you can't find an example of someone being killed by a legally owned one.

The quote about .22 pistols not fitting in is a little ill informed and naive mate
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

ISSF pistol disciplines include 6 events, only one of which you can use an air pistol for.
  8. I'd rather they spent their time on that than on passing yet more damn fool ideas into law.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd sign a petition going back to pre 1988 laws but also one where the truth regarding Hamilton and Ryan was made public and the plod responsible for approving both their licenses lost their pensions!
    • Like Like x 12
  10. I wasn't actually suggesting it was right to have them illegal, just that no politician is going to want to vote for repeal of the ban on them. You know how the papers would spin it -

11. Fat chance. That bastard Douglas McMurdo (Deputy Chief Constable of Central Scotland). Remember him, he's the plod who renewed Hamilton's FAC in spite of being told that he should not do so by one of his officers. Anyway that bastard waited until the day of publication of the Cullen report before he resigned - I guess on a full pension. I sincerely hope that he has never slept a full night since Dunblane.
  12. I think that you would be hard put to think of many benefits.

FAC holders didn't use them for crime and crims don't use them because they can get much more powerful pistols.
  13. Two thousand and odd in three months. Not very motivated are we shooters.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Already explained my motivation I'd sign any petition that supported that!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps! Sent from my Blackberry!