22 Year Pension

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by BLADERUNNER, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :frustrated: Can somebody help me with this.I've been in the Army since 1980. I recently asked for printout of my pension. I found out that my pensionable date was the 06 August 1982, my 18th birthday. Now i was annoyed at two things, firstly i served in the falklands war at the age of 17 and have been informed that it doesnt count, which is a royal kick in the bollocks!!! Secondly i have been informed that as soon as you start on adult rates of pay at 17.5 you contribute 11% of your wage to your pension and was amazed at the number of people who were surprised at this (can any pay staff confirm or deny this). 17.5 to 18, 6 months that dont count even if you go on ops?!!! And if you are paying in where does that money go, and how can you go to war and then 25 years later be told it doesn't count!!!! Can someone give us hand with this? I am trying to rally support to challenge this so that the soldiers who served on ops before they are eighteen get what is owed to them, financially minimal. But again if servicemen or women serve in a war before they are 18 they should not then be told years later it doesn't count. Thats morally wrong. The system is not allways right is it?
  2. Follow the fol link Pension Calculator this will enable you to determine what your pension is a at 2006/2007 rates. You can then do a comparison by extending your leave date by six months to see what the difference would be. I suspect it will be marginal though this still doesn't address the principle argument - not being compensated for warfighting.
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. [quote="BLADERUNNER you contribute 11% of your wage to your pension [/quote]

:sweatdrop: You don't pay anything into your pension; the Army do that for you. 11% is the acturial assesment of what that would be worth for comparison to civvies. (eg like free dental care etc.).

Incidentally, this years AFPRB reccommended that the acturial assement be lowered (perhaps the pension isn't as good as we thought :thumbdown: )
  5. I understood it was 7% but you are correct in that the amount is not deducted from our salary - our salary is just 7% lower than it would otherwise be!

6. I am not with you on this one!

The box at the lower left of your monthly (current - not JPA) payslip shows the Reckonable Service Date. Haven't you noticed that? It was also on the blue and white payslip that preceded this version.

And where were you when we were given the opportunity to change to the new pension (05) last year? If you had read all the documentation, you would have seen your pension details and your reckonable service date!

I also understand that the current policy is that soldiers who are under 18 should not deploy to a war zone. However, I will stand by for flak on that one!

7. I understand that the current policy is that soldiers who are under 18 should not sent on deployment and has been like that for ages. i remember back in 92 when we had a few lads couldnt deploy to NI due to not being 18 or older.
  8. #

He mentions that it was 1982 when he went to war; I'd venture that perhaps things were a bit different then.
  9. No they weren't.
  10. This must be a WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no-one can be that stupid - can they??????
  11. I joined in 1980 at 17. I knew my reckonable service did not start until 18 for many years before I left.

My pensionable service strated from my 18th birthday and I agree with those who found it difficult to believe you did not know this long before you got a pension forecast.

You should not have been deployed anywhere like the Falklands at minus 18 so not certain how this happened. I was also well aware of this due to time spent in NI - same rules applied, ie 18+ only.

Regarding the pension contributions, I remember a few years back that we got a 'pay rise' by the treasury giving us money from pension payment - someone should be able to give full details. Is this it:

Abatement. In determining Services pay, an abatement, ie a reduction, is made to take account of the relative benefits of the Armed Forces Pension Scheme (AFPS) compared to civilian pension arrangements. This is not a direct contribution but an adjustment based on comparison of benefits.

See here: http://www.modoracle.com/?page=http://www.modoracle.com/finance/
  12. Pension Service Date has always been the date of 18th birthday or date of enlistment, whichever the later. Reconable MAN service runs from 17.5 birthday or date of enlistment whichever the later, unfortunate, but that's the way it is.....Service up to 18th birthday = Non Reconable for Pension.
  13. A mate of mine served 22 years t be told he`d been paid £20 on discharge and could he repay it . he sent his LSGC back and said sell that to cover the cost.
  14. Back in the eighties it wasn't uncommon for an under 18 to be deployed. The Falklands war was no exception. Two 17 year olds were KIA there - Pte Burt and Pte Scrivens both of the Parachute Regiment,

15. In 1980 no one was aware of pension entitlement, i was actually told by chief clerk that 12 years service did not acrue a pension. On discharge I was given a post card which stated" post this 3 months before you are 55" for your pension entitlement. the address on the card no longer exists so dont be suprised about the lack of knowledge on pensions