22 Year Din Out

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Imintherapy, Jun 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [Mess Members completing 22 years service - Is their Dine Out an entitlement or is it a curtosy afforded to them?

Should it be Stag (Members only) or should it be encorporated into whatever the Mess has planned at the time? (eg Ladies Dinner Night)

Your thoughts please. :?
  2. in my unit 22 year dine outs are a big thing,usually a ladies dinner night followed by karoeke/disco until the early hours,usually a bloody good night
  3. As far as I am aware there is no written rule about the 22 year dine-out. That said after 22 years the individual has given a lot to the Army and a lot to the Mess, we would therefore be remit not to say farewell to them and give them the opportunity to reciprocate.

The dine-out is the opportunity for SNCOs' and WOs' to impart their experience and knowledge to those junior to them and it is the only time a grown soldier (over 40) is allowed to cry like a big woose in front of other soldiers. It is the one and only time we have freedom of speech and can either praise or slag down the Army and individuals.

I leave in 2 years and I want my one hour of speech therapy to get everything off my 40 year old chest. Let someone stop me.

We are talking tradition and an old soldiers opportunity for closure. It would be a sad day if any RSM stopped this.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

An HOUR - oh good grief. You will have your fellow members volunteering for duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

p.s. if your RSM does stop it, tell him that you have permission from arrse to deck him. Suggest you mention that after decking him (in private - no witnesses - keep pension)
  5. it's a big thing in my mess and we always include the ladies.
  6. We leave it to the individual ...in one case and probably with some degree of understanding a recently divorced 22yr soldier wasnt to keen on the idea of a ladies dinner nite. so we had stag. this was his choice as to was the menu. 22yrs you have earned it.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

22 years dine out- enjoyed mine. Used the oppotunity to thank people and remind the newer members of the Mess what the responsibility meant being a SNCO.
  8. While not strictly an entitlement the outgoing chap is given the opportunity (if he should wish) to be dined out and it is up to him/her to decide stag or not.

Either way blootered is an absolute must!!!!
  9. Mine is this week,as part of the summer ball. We are given the choice. Mind you I have been subjected to some god fukcing awful rants. Thing is he/she has every right to say their piece.
    The Mess has bought me the most wonderful box of 25 Partagas Serie P No2. Im presenting a 50 count humidor so they can at least offer their Hamlets in a nice box.

"Mess members, I am now going to get very drunk, I thank you..."
  10. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Are you sure you aren't in the RAF??
  11. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

Ahh I remember mine after 23 yrs 10 months productive............No thats right I was with the AAC, so diddly squat....
    And they wonder why I dont wear their tie

Mind you my previous lot who I'd left 14 years before dined me out, but they have manners and class.
  12. My old REME Battallion only allowed a number of functions a year as they use a garrison mess, so used this year to dine out old RSM & dine in new RSM, dine out old CO dine in new CO. Allowed warrants a dine out with them, but if you aint got a crown on your arm not given dine out just left to go!!! 22 years & thank you NOT!
  13. Other threads suggest this is still emotive subject-my rant elsewhere
  14. I can't really comment on a 22 years Dine out as I was dined out after only 39 and a half years.