22 SigRegt Lippstadt

Was out and about yesterday and ended up back at Churchill Barracks and took a couple of photos.

I know there were Gunners and all kinds of other riff raff in the camp at times but I was 22Sigs so it goes here. 1.jpg This is what happened to the Ptarmigan garages. Cost millions and is now a bath shop
2.jpg Front Gate
10.jpg Guard room

7.jpg Accommodation (this was 1 Sqn when I was there)
6.jpg Cookhouse
35.jpg An Officers mess
5.jpg Sgt Mess

Now just another estate but with some odd buildings .

Last edited:
@AlphaKennyThing Bullshit for a bunch of photos?

Does that even make any sense or are you just a fumble fingered mong.

I spent 2 happy years there too in the early 80s - what you have shown as the Officers' Mess is the building over the road from the front gate and it was actually the 27RA Officers' Mess. We had to make do with a prefab just the other side of RHQ - much less grand but much friendlier and great fun.

I spent 2 happy years there too in the early 80s - what you have shown as the Officers' Mess is the building over the road from the front gate and it was actually the 27RA Officers' Mess. We had to make do with a prefab just the other side of RHQ - much less grand but much friendlier and great fun.
It was 30 odd years ago that I was there.

I've edited it :)

The odd thing about the place is that I can't for the life of me remember where the Naafi bar was.
There is just a huge blank spot in my memory.

When I was with 2 Div Sigs in mid 80's, we used to park our kit on the Regimental Parade Square for the weekend before starting Flying Falcon. I was one of a bunch of erks who were warned personally by the Lippstadt GSM not to go silly in town and don't make too much noise when start ex is called leaving camp in the trucks etc as we were guests of his. I remember having to recall that very conversation less than a week later with a certain WO1 Tony C*rtwright Royal Signals, after a mad weekend in KU! By the way if anyone on here has ever met or served with TC you will know that he was what most of us aspired to be by the 22 year point. 30 years on, that bollocking stays with me, top man he was (is hopefully).

The odd thing about the place is that I can't for the life of me remember where the Naafi bar was.
There is just a huge blank spot in my memory.
Perhaps you could find it but never remember leaving ;)

It’s been a very long time since I was there so perhaps my memory’s a little hazy, but the NAAFI bar was at the rear of the barracks but before the sports fields. It was (somewhat cruelly) just before the gym and just beyond but roughly equidistant from the end of the main RA and RS lines, next to the vehicle wash bay (staffed by the civvie judo nut). Beyond that in the same direction was the drill square and then the pad’s NAAFI.

For most RS and attached NAAFI breaks were usually taken in the (wooden) building run by a Christian organisation (I really can’t remember its name now) not too far from the officers’ mess and towards the Ptarmigan garages and car park and opposite the UBRE/POL compound.

While posted there I wrote a game for the Commodore 64 that was essentially a journey around the barracks picking up items along the way, so maybe that’s why I remember some of the details. That, and I needed to get out a lot more, clearly.

Lippstadt was a good posting and thanks for putting up the pics.

A few months after leaving Lippstadt, I got the train down from 3 Penal Division in Soest, back there to go on the piss with some of the local Punks. Out of curiosity, I took a walk down Sudstrasse, and as I peered through the pedestrian gate, where the sandbag wall stood, a German civvy security guard suddenly appeared on the other side. That was the last time I ever went to Churchill Barracks.

When I was with 2 Div Sigs in mid 80's, we used to park our kit on the Regimental Parade Square for the weekend before starting Flying Falcon. I was one of a bunch of erks who were warned personally by the Lippstadt GSM not to go silly in town and don't make too much noise when start ex is called leaving camp in the trucks etc as we were guests of his. I remember having to recall that very conversation less than a week later with a certain WO1 Tony C*rtwright Royal Signals, after a mad weekend in KU! By the way if anyone on here has ever met or served with TC you will know that he was what most of us aspired to be by the 22 year point. 30 years on, that bollocking stays with me, top man he was (is hopefully).
@JAD Tony was never GSM Lippstadt as we didn't have one just 2 x RSM's, one RS; one RA. He was the WO1 in charge of the training wing and I had the pleasure of working with him both at 22 Sigs and previously at 28 Sigs, as you rightly say a top man.

His wife is on my FB friends list and Tony is still with us and still going strong.

Yes up past the swimming pond :) on the left hand side by the Gym.

Went in on the weekend the 49 RA left and 27 moved in (or was it the other way round?). Not a good night as the new RA were proving how hard they were.

Was ther 83 to 87 best tour in 27 years.

Thanks for the updates Chodmeister and Nil desperandum. I stand corrected as to TC's status as non GSM in Lippstadt, I guess the years have blurred the edges a bit. All the same, he had more than a little 'presence' if you know what I mean. I was at Ouston in '83 when he was RSM too, his Saturday parades were legendary. Glad he is doing well down in sunny Clacton. JAD

It was the Church Army. There was a large cafe, and a paper shop. Everybody used to call it the Crutch.
absolutely one of the best postings in BAOR...I was 4 Squadron and our garages were on the right just before the Crutch and the square.

......how many hours were spent playing table football, eh? and how many hours did you spend in the Capri?

Last edited:
absolutely one of the best postings in BAOR...I was 4 Squadron and our garages were on the right just before the Crutch and the square.

......how many hours were spent playing table football, eh? and how many hours did you spend in the Capri?
Jacques Squadron it was called during my time there in the mid '80's...

A bit more of an update...

While attached to 22 Sigs I was fortunate enough to live in a pad in the beautiful little village of Böckenförde (Bocky). I was there for quite some time and through making an effort was eventually accepted by the locals who generally weren’t too keen on us squaddies. I have German friends from there that I’m still in touch with and who occasionally keep me up to date with changes to the village, the barracks and Lippstadt in general.

The Bocky pads’ quarters were eventually turned into standard flats and a lot of former East Germans moved in. The locals preferred the squaddies! At least we kept the place clean and tidy, weren’t usually as noisy and, despite the occasional muttering, there was very little crime or anti-social behaviour.

One of my German friends now has one of the flats, just opposite from the one I had. He’s been very ill for some time now but I’m hoping to pop over and see him next summer, hire a car and scoot around the old haunts. If I retrace the monotonous bugger of the old BFT route I certainly won’t be running it!

Ah, the memories of working summer hours, happy hours every Friday afternoon and the smell from the pool of vomit outside the gym following the first PT session after Christmas. Happy days.