22 SAS and glasses.

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Jono8192, Jul 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys. I was just generally interested about something -

Is it possible for a soldier to join the SAS if he wears glasses?

I read a thread on here about this subject earlier, although it seemed to be fairly indecisive.

I know people say glasses may be a problem when jumping out of a plane etc, but then again, there are people in the Parachute Regiment who wear glasses.

Does anyone know if this is a yay or nay?

EDIT: May I add before I get flamed, I am not actually thinking that I will be able to join the SAS, heck, I'm not even in the Army yet. I was just interested.

2. It may be a bit of a problem when your doing the stealthy, underwater, insertion techniques course.

sorry

3. Ya will probs get flamed anyway. I dont know the answer really and i dunno who could tell ya. Maybe Phantom or Filbert

4. I can't see why it would be a problem; could you not just get contact lenses?

I'm sure one of 'them' will reply on here soon with all the info you need ;-) ;-) Whilst you're on i'd recommend asking them the colour of the boathouse.

5. The eyesight test for THEM is as follows:

1. Count the individual skin cells on a single flake of dandruff
    2. Read the classified ads in "The Times" at five hundred metres.

Without glasses. If you can't do that, you're Donald Ducked, my son. :D

MsG

6. That's a good point, although could it be possible you could tape them when going in water, like the Paras might do for a parachute jump?

Fair enough, I will wait to see if they read this.

As a wearer of them, I would say contact lenses are possibly more of a hassle than glasses, due to the need to be regularly cleaned etc.

:)

7. im sure LoF SAS is recruiting. ;)

8. no you cant, now sod off you blind cnut

9. EDIT: May I add before I get flamed

standby

10. Sounds a little bit harsh ;)

Seriously though, it probably is the case that you do need near perfect eyesight, sigh.

11. Any proof? And no, I'm not blind.

Also, you spelt c*nt wrong. Check your eyesight?

12. Pay for a miraculous recovery at ultralase you blind cnut

13. Perhaps they could but surely the arms of the glasses would prevent a water tight seal between skin and mask?

14. Of course you can wear glasses, what do you think they use as part of their disguise :D

they get these badgers except the mootah normally descends 'mexicana' style (for work in South American countries) down the side of the fizzer :D

[​IMG]

15. Seriously, why are some people on this site so up them selves?