.22 Hornet in a SMLE

Would anybody have a source for an engineering drawing, or even an exploded diagram with good detail, for the .22 Hornet conversion of a Lee Enfield MKIII?

Asking for a friend.

Could you do a straight swap using the barrel and action from a No 8 rifle? The ACF seem to be getting rid of all theirs.

Edited. Just noticed you said .22 Hornet. Ignore me!

Would anybody have a source for an engineering drawing, or even an exploded diagram with good detail, for the .22 Hornet conversion of a Lee Enfield MKIII?

Asking for a friend.

Your only chance might be to go onto the international Enfield forums and ask there. Lithgow was the only manufacturer of that variant, and so that sort of data might only be available from one of the Oz collectors.

I have seen two Hornet No1s in UK, so the forums might turn up one you can examine.

IIRC about the only real change is the barrel/sights assembly, and a modified extractor slot.

www.gunboards.com
Military Surplus Collectors Forums

Have been on there, I think they are looking at the Lithgow / Slazenger .22 Hornet sporting rifle.

What else were you expecting? Thats the only engineered commercial conversion thats been done and could be copied.

The only other option is to screw the .22H barrel into a SMLE receiver and get busy on the bolt with a hacksaw and file...

Your only chance might be to go onto the international Enfield forums and ask there. Lithgow was the only manufacturer of that variant, and so that sort of data might only be available from one of the Oz collectors.

I have seen two Hornet No1s in UK, so the forums might turn up one you can examine.

IIRC about the only real change is the barrel/sights assembly, and a modified extractor slot.

www.gunboards.com
Military Surplus Collectors Forums
I have read this elsewhere.
Just checking and trying to get as much detail as possible for him.

Also I recall a video of a No 4 single shot.
No action work, just a barrel change.

Thank you.

What else were you expecting? Thats the only engineered commercial conversion thats been done and could be copied.

The only other option is to screw the .22H barrel into a SMLE receiver and get busy on the bolt with a hacksaw and file...
Ok.
Thank you again for your input.

Apologies for the thread drift. While on the topic of the Hornet comparison between 17 and 22 Hornet.

This was an interesting view of the ballistic efficiency of those two rounds.

Then out comes an upgraded 17 Super Magnum.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
The only one I have had my hands on was in an auction and the magazine was missing!