.22 air rifle versus rabbits and squirrels?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by vvaannmmaann, Oct 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My garden is being over run by vermin.Is a 22 air rifle adequate for killing them? If so,what models are best ? Thanks.
  2. First question: Yes but you will have to get very close to make sure you can hit them with the butt.

Second question: Elle MacPherson.

3. .22 will do the job nicely. With regards to your weapon choice?? It depends on your budget?!

Or....if you're local I'll pop round with a bottle of Jack, my rifle, we can get on it, and down some vermin :)
  4. I use an old Diana G79 fires .22 pellets. It takes out squirells and small rabbits.
  5. A .22 air rifle is more than adequate, just make sure there is a solid backstop should the pellet go straight through.

I recently changed to .177, for the flatter trajectory. It doesn't mushroom like a .22 imparting the shock/trauma, but has quite often gone straight through.

I've been left with the impression I've missed until the rabbit keels over.

Fur or feather - make sure you've a good backstop.

As regards which rifle's best..... that's a huge question :D
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

7. A JP233 will do the trick :)
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

If your in a fairly uraban area, with lots of other peoples gardens and property close by then I'd recommend the Crossman ratcatcher and use Crossman backfilled pellets. The gat is below about 6lb foot so the pellet tails off after about 30yds. Anything under that though is fairly fcuked when hit.
  9. Did you just say "gat"?? *shaking head*
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If a backstop is a problem - have you thought about using mines?
  11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

oh fcuk, oh fcuk, of fcuk i do believe ive just been outed as an air rifle walt!

ok you old knacker i will replace the word with weapon how that? :wink:
  12. I've always referred to an air rifle/pistol as a 'gat'. Never referred to the one the Queen gave me as a gat though.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Some of us owned an original Gat :wink:
  14. My point exactly. :wink: