• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

.22 air rifle versus rabbits and squirrels?

First question: Yes but you will have to get very close to make sure you can hit them with the butt.

Second question: Elle MacPherson.

P-T

.22 will do the job nicely. With regards to your weapon choice?? It depends on your budget?!

Or....if you're local I'll pop round with a bottle of Jack, my rifle, we can get on it, and down some vermin :)

vvaannmmaann said:
My garden is being over run by vermin.Is a 22 air rifle adequate for killing them? If so,what models are best ? Thanks.
A .22 air rifle is more than adequate, just make sure there is a solid backstop should the pellet go straight through.

I recently changed to .177, for the flatter trajectory. It doesn't mushroom like a .22 imparting the shock/trauma, but has quite often gone straight through.

I've been left with the impression I've missed until the rabbit keels over.

Fur or feather - make sure you've a good backstop.

As regards which rifle's best..... that's a huge question :D

BiscuitsAB

LE
If your in a fairly uraban area, with lots of other peoples gardens and property close by then I'd recommend the Crossman ratcatcher and use Crossman backfilled pellets. The gat is below about 6lb foot so the pellet tails off after about 30yds. Anything under that though is fairly fcuked when hit.

I've always referred to an air rifle/pistol as a 'gat'. Never referred to the one the Queen gave me as a gat though.

Alsacien said:
devilish said:
I've always referred to an air rifle/pistol as a 'gat'. Never referred to the one the Queen gave me as a gat though.
Some of us owned an original Gat :wink:
My point exactly. :wink:

BiscuitsAB said:
smudge67 said:
Did you just say "gat"?? *shaking head*
oh fcuk, oh fcuk, of fcuk i do believe ive just been outed as an air rifle walt!

ok you old knacker i will replace the word with weapon how that? :wink:
old?? I was 32 only last week! I don't care what word you use....but not gat?!?! It's a shite word. What's wrong with rifle?? Since that's what it is.

I've never seen www.airgat.com? ;)

I've used my old BSA Airsporter (Bowkett tuned) and Falcon pre-charged air rifles against feral pigeons and rabbits on the farm where I have permission to shoot. Useful around the barns and outbuildings.

I limit my shots to 30yds, head shots for rabbits and they're out of the game :D

My old Webley is ok, but I think a seprate cocking handle is a good idea - under-barrel or side handle - I've never been convinced that the jaws on a break barrel won't open a smidgen, and I've always thought that air leakage at the port on a break barrel is inevitable, especially with use. Side handle cocking also puts funny strain on the stock, so maybe under-barrel is better. Of course seprate cocking means extra weight, but if it's for the back garden not a problem. I would tell all the neighbours before starting, pick a good time, and if possible fire from an upstairs window down into the ground.

Mind you, the lazy arse alterantive is to phone the council and complain :D

BiscuitsAB said:
If your in a fairly uraban area, with lots of other peoples gardens and property close by then I'd recommend the Crossman ratcatcher and use Crossman backfilled pellets. The gat is below about 6lb foot so the pellet tails off after about 30yds. Anything under that though is fairly fcuked when hit.
I'd disagree with 6 ftlbs being sufficient to kill squirrels and rabbits. I would recommend 11-12 ftlbs as being appropriate. Even then it should be head shots only. 177 or 22 will do the job but if I had the choice I'd use 177. As I already own mine I'm quite happy with 22.

i use this with DYNAMIC 14.5 grain pellets... does the job and easy to find in the meat :)

Attachments