22-250 @ 4000+ fps!!!!!!!!

Guys I have been loading my Styer SSG 22-250 with 40gr Nosler Ballistic tips, have worked the load up to 39.5gr of Varget. Crono'd the bullet yesterday, it was averaging 4150 fps (75fps spread over the three groups of three rounds fired).

3/4" - 1/2" groups @ 100yds 8)

I can not wait to test this load out on Foxy Loxy this weekend, It hits like a stream train :D

It would br interesting to see a wound silhouette of a round traveling that fast,

tropper66 said:
It would br interesting to see a wound silhouette of a round traveling that fast,
Are you volunteering? I'm not! :D

Was the SSG made in 22-250 or is it re-barrelled?

flutedbarrel said:
Guys I have been loading my Styer SSG 22-250 with 40gr Nosler Ballistic tips, have worked the load up to 39.5gr of Varget. Crono'd the bullet yesterday, it was averaging 4150 fps (75fps spread over the three groups of three rounds fired).

I can not wait to test this load out on Foxy Loxy this weekend, It hits like a stream train :D
I have no idea what you're talking about but I want one...It sounds way too cool!

flutedbarrel said:

Clucking bell, that's going to sting a bit!!! Bye Foxy....

redsquirrel said:
flutedbarrel said:

I have no idea what you're talking about but I want one...It sounds way too cool!
He's talking about Mach 3.7 which ain't hanging about!

Body armour would,nt be much use

The problem at velocities like this is that everything happens on the surface...

Not a problem for Mr F... and of course you get no ricochets, however I would be wary of launching something like this at anything coming at me with teeth/horns/AK47/RPG that needs some penetration to get to the vital spot...

Luckily I don't have anything that carries AK, RPG or has horns listed on my ticket for the 250 :D . If I did I would sack the 250 and go for 22-243 Middlestead or 7mm STW 8)

... Just checking :wink:

flutedbarrel said:

i'm quite supprised at the tight groups your getting with the 40gners, i'v got a rem 788 22/250 and it wont group at all with anything less than a 52gn hpbt, (and it constantly gets 1/2 moa 10 shot groups )
i know a few other 22/250 shooters who cant get the 40 / 45 gns projies to group as well.

point two, and just what is it with you feckin speed freaks?? so what your getting 4000fps? all your really doing is getting the maximum short barrel life.
met a bloke the other month with the same attitude, 40gn projie max load, and 3 inch groups at best, 'but when i hit a fox it explodes mate!!!'......... ffs.

SLOW DOWN!

DrStealth said:
i'm quite supprised at the tight groups your getting with the 40gners, i'v got a rem 788 22/250 and it wont group at all with anything less than a 52gn hpbt, (and it constantly gets 1/2 moa 10 shot groups )
i know a few other 22/250 shooters who cant get the 40 / 45 gns projies to group as well.

point two, and just what is it with you feckin speed freaks?? so what your getting 4000fps? all your really doing is getting the maximum short barrel life.
met a bloke the other month with the same attitude, 40gn projie max load, and 3 inch groups at best, 'but when i hit a fox it explodes mate!!!'......... ffs.

SLOW DOWN!

Type the balistic calcs into an online calculator and look at trajectory. :wink:

DrStealth said:
flutedbarrel said:

SLOW DOWN!
I think the better groups might be down to:
A) He's got a Steyr and you've got a Remington. (Sorry but Remington is just not in Steyr's league.)
B) He might have a slower twist rate that suits the lighter bullets.

Headspace is either right or wrong, shouldn't make a whole load of difference to accuracy as far as I can see. The barrel is the main thing and Steyr do make very good barrels.

DrStealth said:
point two, and just what is it with you feckin speed freaks??
met a bloke the other month with the same attitude, 'but when i hit a fox it explodes mate!!!'......... ffs.
These three comments grated me a touch mate. All I am after is Accuracy and a humane kill, the geezer to which you refer sounds like a bit of a bellend.

EX_STAB said:
DrStealth said:
flutedbarrel said:

SLOW DOWN!
I think the better groups might be down to:
A) He's got a Steyr and you've got a Remington. (Sorry but Remington is just not in Steyr's league.)
B) He might have a slower twist rate that suits the lighter bullets.

Headspace is either right or wrong, shouldn't make a whole load of difference to accuracy as far as I can see. The barrel is the main thing and Steyr do make very good barrels.
my rem 788 has had several bbls over the years of all makes and twists ( back in NZ i am a self employed custom gunsmith) and its never shot well with the small projies, my younger bro has a 788 in .222 and it shoots the 45/40 gns with real tight groups, buggered if i can work it out.
any rifle is only as good as the bbl you put on it to be honest.