217 London General Hospital RAMC TAVR

Anyone out there remember the above or were there during the early eighties. It was on Braganza Street, South East London???

It amalgamated in the early 1990's with 257 Gen Hosp & 221 Fd Amb to become 256 (City of London) Field Hospital. The Braganza St site is now RHQ & A Sqn. Hope this helps. PM If you want any more info.

Good to see there is still someone about, I was in B coy (Brighton) in the 90s....a life time ago now but it still seems like only :? yesterday.

It amalgamated in the early 1990's with 257 Gen Hosp & 221 Fd Amb to become 256 (City of London) Field Hospital. The Braganza St site is now RHQ & A Sqn. Hope this helps. PM If you want any more info.
J'd always wanted 257 to be known as '257 General Army Surgical Hospital' but I was very childish in those days. Still am come to think of it. Is the Harrow det still going?

At Braganza Street in the early 80's new facebook page set up this month for members. names Steve Harding Mavis Dyer Colin Jenkins Les Smith Les Spiterie..to name a few

Last edited:
Just found this site - Yes, I remember the 'old 217 mob' from 1986 when I joined at Braganza Street!. Still in when it became 256 FH, and then (amazingly! ) got "Called up" in 1998 for a six stint with the Regulars despite my age!!! A great TA bunch in both Units, and I miss those days. Cheers, Capt B. ('pm' me if you remember the 'name' !)

Just found this site - Yes, I remember the 'old 217 mob' from 1986 when I joined at Braganza Street!. Still in when it became 256 FH, and then (amazingly! ) got "Called up" in 1998 for a six stint with the Regulars despite my age!!! A great TA bunch in both Units, and I miss those days. Cheers, Capt B. ('pm' me if you remember the 'name' !)
What were you "called up" for in 1998?

I ended up being seconded to the Army Medical Directorate for a 3 month 'Project' - - then before I knew it, was signed upfor a brand new post as SO3 Medical Intelligence firstly at Keogh then later at Sandhurst. Should have been 5 years, but someone looked the other way when I got to 60!
Richard

Good Morning, Just seen your email post on the site. I joined 217 in 1986 and finally left in 1998 from 256 when effectively "Called Up" and joined the Regulars for 6 years! I can remember Major Archer down in Brighton, and got on well with the Sgt who was the lab Tech. Am now lousy on names, but also found very friendly the chap with the Citroen 2CV (name???) I can see an easy dozen faces from Brighton, but names beat me!
What role did you have in the unit? Do you remember our times on the Ranges at Longmoor, etc ?
Regards, Richard ( "Captain B" - A Sqn)

I was a Lance jack. Yes i remember Longmoor. Firepower demonstrating sails bury plain. Operation Lion heart where we spent the evening on the floor at Braganza st waiting for deployment. Anual camps at Redford cavalry barracks Edingborough. Stennearer in Germany. And other places I cannot remember.

Hi again, Were you a CMT, or another role?. Really annoying how ones memory fades with time, but ca visualise so well some of the people back then!. Do you remember the Sgt or WO with interesting the blue Citroen 2CV car? The name is on the tip of my tongue - like several other faces - but darned if it will come back.
Do you remember Mike O'Brien our RSM until he left the Regulars and came back to us as TA Captain?
Such is life, Richard