216?

hey guys

i thought i would start her with trying to find out more information about 216 signal sqn, im a newly qualified installation technician and just got my first posting to 1 div, hoping to get on the tour next year if i can get there in time, but im really interested in going 216,

i was wondering if anyone knows how you go about getting the ball rolling, i would like to go 216 after the tour.

cheers sam

Or look up PD206 on intranet at work. IIRC, you express an interest to the CoC, and take it from there.

hey guys thanks for the info/advice, i will post on here if i have any more questions, once i have researched of course.

big thanks sam

Sam,

216 have quality lads who are resourceful, however; seen as you are fresh out the factory I will forgive your naivety. First you need to prove to your immediate chain at 1 Div that you are the calibre of Soldier which is needed (and will fit in) at 216. Secondly, you need to highlight your ambitions to your hierarchy during any formal career interview you have (mid term, annual - or just in the bar)....The rest you will figure out. I have done a tour there (and two Op tours) - It will make you a better soldier. +

Sam,

216 have quality lads who are resourceful, however; seen as you are fresh out the factory I will forgive your naivety. First you need to prove to your immediate chain at 1 Div that you are the calibre of Soldier which is needed (and will fit in) at 216. Secondly, you need to highlight your ambitions to your hierarchy during any formal career interview you have (mid term, annual - or just in the bar)....The rest you will figure out. I have done a tour there (and two Op tours) - It will make you a better soldier. +
hey cheers for the proper advice, like i said its just something i would like to do after a year or so, but iv not fully decided what i want to do with my career yet.

cheers again

Sam,

My bold. What a ludicrous statement. Better than what? A soldier who hasn't been to 216? I'm sure 216 train some excellent soldiers in their role. But that DOES NOT mean they are better. All too often in my career I saw soldiers with that attitude that unit X makes better soldiers than unit Y. Take Special Comms for example. Much better then the rest of the Corps at a specific role. But then those soldiers lose touch with those aspects of their trade that they do not use in SC. Infantry/warry skills are not the exclusive province of 216, so it can't be that. Learning German made me a much more useful soldier at 7 & 16 than if I hadn't. But was it relevant elsewhere? No.

What WOULD make a better soldier (in the Corps at least) is to have an intelligent soldier with a variety of postings and experience of differing kinds under his belt. Not simply having been to 216, or any other individual unit.

He did say soldier and not tradesman.
Fail P Coy did we?!

Not at all J-D. Had no interest myself, especially having been at 244 and seeing the parachuting injuries that we were there to medevac. I simply don't buy the Unit X makes better soldiers than Unit Y argument. Certain units in NI made some excellent soldiers that would likely be utterly useless in 216. Vice Versa.
Valid points.
From my perspective I don't think I really knew what soldiering was really about until I got to 216 and being taught practically all our stuff from the Para Regt. I believe this was proved when we went on our Detties or Staffies and invariably we had someone who came top student and if there was a few of us up there we'd bag all the top slots.
I remember being in Germany on a Battle Camp (not with 216) and being refused the best soldier award because I'd done P Coy!

216 Sqn are a bunch of hats.........

Sam,

Presume yr a tom, if so becarefull before speaking out, congratulations on doing a tour at 216, hope your in the wider corps now being a professional around soldier/tradesman proving your point and returning back to 216 doing more tours there, or me been cynical got the badge and not going back like a few people I know

Not at all J-D. Had no interest myself, especially having been at 244 and seeing the parachuting injuries that we were there to medevac. I simply don't buy the Unit X makes better soldiers than Unit Y argument. Certain units in NI made some excellent soldiers that would likely be utterly useless in 216. Vice Versa.

Yawn!!!!!!

"had no interest myself"

Translation.....
I am a fat **** & couldn't pass water if required!

Another boring cockhead who knows it all!

What part of All Arms P Coy teaches you soldiering skills?

Seriously though, the reason why you tend to get people from 216 performing better on JMC SMC etc is because they are generally more motivated. Which is why volunteered and went to 216 in the first place. It's not because 216 "Make you a better soldier". What utter bollocks.

Why do R DOT SIGS people keep trying to pretend they are infantry. If you wanted to be an infanteer you should have joined the ******* Parachute Regt.

Agreed, why be a badge collector like some sort of overgrown boy-scout?

I was always under the impression 216 as a whole was a blinding unit. This (I believe) came from an espirt de Corps forged in the heat of a shared experience... ie a proper beast of a week to earn the chance to throw oneself out of a perfectly airworthy aeroplane.

I was under the impression that other units with a similar shared experience could match this spirit (ie 249 and 244 A Tp after a spell in Norway).

Individually the men of all units come in all shades ranging from awesome tradesmen and solid soldiers right down the scale to utter waste of space. I remember serving in a unit where there were several ex-216 lads dotted about, like I say there was the thick as mince but dependable and keen lad right through to the utter stroker. With a smattering of very good tradesmen for good measure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mad_Moriarty Royal Signals 2
M Royal Signals 6
chalkntalk Royal Signals 404