21062018 Another Minister resigns

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
PMTM has lost another Minister, the Trade Minister Greg Hands has resigned.

Not over Brexit before @Baglock and pals start creaming themselves, but over the third runway at Heathrow.

Not an easy time for Mrs May and it will be interesting to see who gets the gig with Trade becoming a huge subject over the next 12+ months.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Shame, the post did seem to be in good hands
I doubt we have seen the last of him as a Minister, but he gets some time off now.

Lots of people of all political stripes very unhappy about the projected third runway. Think we might see a u-turn on that?

Lots of people of all political stripes very unhappy about the projected third runway. Think we might see a u-turn on that?

Dunno. I think theres probably significantly more people very unhappy that its taken fifty-odd years even to get this far on a vital infrastructure upgrade decision.

Perhaps the mood of the country is shifting more towards getting things done, rather than kick cans down the road interminably?

Dunno. I think theres probably significantly more people very unhappy that its taken fifty-odd years even to get this far on a vital infrastructure upgrade decision.

Perhaps the mood of the country is shifting more towards getting things done, rather than kick cans down the road interminably?
I don't object to seeing a new/expanded airport. I just think Heathrow is the wrong location. I think they could develop an old RAF base in say, Oxfordshire, for a fraction of the cost and disruption.

I don't object to seeing a new/expanded airport. I just think Heathrow is the wrong location. I think they could develop an old RAF base in say, Oxfordshire, for a fraction of the cost and disruption.
Or they could give Stansted and/or Gatwick a second runway... As with HS2 one suspects that the 'my airport is bigger than yours' Heathrow develpment is little more than a government vanity project.

Last edited:

Well, there are loooong threads about that. I think the argument is that tourists, businessmen and holiday makers want a quick connection into London, and don't want to end up in the sticks with £££extra transport costs and time to get to their destinations. Thats pretty much why all the other existing regional airports have little growth demand.

It could be argued that, as the airport capacity decision has taken decades, its no longer a case of one runway being required, but probably at least one at each of the London airports.

I'd point out that some of the smaller airports are closer to central London than Heathrow. The issue is airspace restrictions rather than commuter convienience.

Sorry, did you say disruption! There are gentle folk with second homes in the cotswolds who whinge about having their roof tiles rattled by incoming aircraft to BZ and the folk in Bampton bleat about flooding from the run ways.
Now the London Oxford airport in Kidlington I am sure could take that capacity, then the 'London Oxford' tag in Oxfordshire would mean something.

Teflon PM or what? She's surviving more than a couple of other historic Tory PMs.
Mind you, who in their right mind would want her job in the meantime.

I'd point out that some of the smaller airports are closer to central London than Heathrow. The issue is airspace restrictions rather than commuter convienience.
Agree London airspace is congested like the M25, the prospects of a collision grows ever more likely and the impact would potentially be horrific.

That's one issue. The other is that BA operates a hub system. There's not much point in flying from a regional airport into deepest darkest Essex/Surrey/Oxfordshire if you need to make a connecting flight.

Or they could give Stansted and/or Gatwick a second runway... As with HSE2 one suspects that the 'my airport is bigger than yours' Heathrow develpment is little more than a government vanity project.
I think Gatwick is the wrong side of London in that most of the country still needs to go round the M25 to get to it. Stansted is better, but still awkward for people coming from West of London.

Sorry, did you say disruption! There are gentle folk with second homes in the cotswolds who whinge about having their roof tiles rattled by incoming aircraft to BZ and the folk in Bampton bleat about flooding from the run ways.
Now the London Oxford airport in Kidlington I am sure could take that capacity, then the 'London Oxford' tag in Oxfordshire would mean something.
Agree London airspace is congested like the M25, the prospects of a collision grows ever more likely and the impact would potentially be horrific.
Speaking of the M25, the disruption I was talking about was mainly centered around building a runway over the busiest part of that motorway for the best part of a decade.

Do any of these airfields have any existing transport infrastructure such as Motorway connections, rail links, space for car parking etc.?