• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

21 SAS selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find myself in the position of (sort of) defending Bear Grylls on another Forum. Now the nobbers on there like to believe that they are the defenders of the Great Outdoors. Maybe they are, maybe they're not. I neither know nor care but I did post this
In the final analysis, he did pass selection and that's more than most of us could
Does anyone know how the much the 21 selection varies from the 22 selection. I don't want specific details but I'm assuming that they have a bit more time and are allowed two Mars bars, that sort of thing.

First up they don't do the full 4 week bimble around brecon; only turn up of test week. They don't do the full jungle - poll up for a bit of the E&E and that's about it - point to note that they are trying to hold down a full time job as well

I think that on the Fan Dance 21 allows a shooting stick for breif rest breaks while 23 lets you wear a flat cap to keep out the cold :roll:

Oh yes another point they do different routes - so don't follow them during test week - unless you like to add extra distance - the little feckkers!!!

Fanbasher said:
Oh yes another point they do different routes - so don't follow them during test week - unless you like to add extra distance - the little feckkers!!!
They do the same routes but on different days ( they join 264 selection on Elan a couple of days before test week) and at a lesser pace, 21 and 23 pace is at 3.5km/h whereas 22 is at 4km'h.

I dont believe that link about if you cant do 10 miles in under an hour you wont pass selection. B0llocks, i have known a couple to pass that couldnt do that!

Thank Chaps. I don't mind people having a go at Celebs because that's what they're there for.
But if some-one has "been there and done it" then I will go into bat.

This guy appears to be such a "Walt" I wouldn't believe anything he says or has written.

As such his endorsement of a product is exactly the sort of thing that would stop me buying a product that otherwise might be OK. Guilty by association you might say.

I'm just glad he hasn't endorsed anything I use
It seemed a bit harsh so when the selection bit came up. I got a bit p****d with the sluts
Again, many thanks
HB

Ronnie8781 said:
Fanbasher said:
They do the same routes but on different days ( they join 264 selection on Elan a couple of days before test week) and at a lesser pace, 21 and 23 pace is at 3.5km/h whereas 22 is at 4km'h.

I dont believe that link about if you cant do 10 miles in under an hour you wont pass selection. B0llocks, i have known a couple to pass that couldnt do that!
So if they do a the same routes on different days - then they're will be doing a different route to the one you'll be doing!!!!!!!! - so again - DON'T EFFING FOLLOW THEM UNLESS YOU CAN DO 8 MPH - 10MPH - 6min mile pass have to be paula radcliffe to that or a sodding biafran chasing a chicken

the capt. I spoke to from 23 when I was looking for a unit was more than helpful and outlined the training in full over the phone. There was no mention of being chased by wild eyed evil killers or being made to kill dogs to prove my loyalty. There was also no mention of being made to run 6 minute miles for an hour. The two phrases that stuck out were "its a massive committment" and "you'd be surprised where the strength comes from". Surely if you want to know, pick up the phone and ask.

Doesn't matter it's all far too hard for me, I take my hat off to any one who wants to try selection far less gets through it.

Un fortunatly god graced me with a body built for comfort not for speed.

The Selection is hard but stating 10 miles at 10mph at the beginning is overegging it; this would require you to be a quality cross country runner which is not required. As stated it is the crossing arduous terrain carrying weight that matters.

The increased phsical demands are obvious with redard to selction, but how does the demand placed on your employer vary when compared to regular t.a selection? I'd imagine that it's a lot more.

arby said:
the capt. I spoke to from 23 when I was looking for a unit was more than helpful and outlined the training in full over the phone. There was no mention of being chased by wild eyed evil killers or being made to kill dogs to prove my loyalty. There was also no mention of being made to run 6 minute miles for an hour. The two phrases that stuck out were "its a massive committment" and "you'd be surprised where the strength comes from". Surely if you want to know, pick up the phone and ask.
I was 'joining' 21 at Cambridge, actually started the process a couple of times but pulled out at the 11th hour both times. Arby is correct, it is a massive commitment, forget all the fancy ops and driving around the desert in a WMIK. Be prepared to give up all of your spare time and family obligations, and make sure your employer is happy that you work for them on a part time basis, because 21 or 23 isn't.

FatBoyGeorge said:
arby said:
I was 'joining' 21 at Cambridge, actually started the process a couple of times but pulled out at the 11th hour both times. Arby is correct, it is a massive commitment, forget all the fancy ops and driving around the desert in a WMIK. Be prepared to give up all of your spare time and family obligations, and make sure your employer is happy that you work for them on a part time basis, because 21 or 23 isn't.
Very, very true; kiss goodby to a social life, for a start. You won't have the time and even if you did, you''l be too fcuked.

Some people think, "Well, it's just every Wednesday and every second weekend, plus annual Camp." But you have to invest a massive amount of time and effort in getting fit enough before the Course starts. That fitness has to be maintained and improved.

You will wake up on a Monday morning still exhausted from the weekend. The worst you're workmates will have to deal with is a hangover. You have bergan-burn, every muscle aches and you're knees feel about 40 years older than the rest of your body.

Basically, during 23/21 Selection your life is devided into training, working and recovery. You have precious little time or energy for anything else.

Do you think being 22 is a bit too young to apply for TA selection (im working hard on my phys atm so i will be nearly 23 when i apply). Also is there anyone i can talk to regarding the commitment, pre-selection fitness trg and the actual selection process. Ive been on the UKSF(R) website and i would like to know more as im quite interested, but i dont want to seem like a time waster or walt to anyone because of how long i want to leave it before i apply?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads