• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

21 sas eyesight requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quickie, I read on http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/ that you need excellent eyesight to try for selection. I have read this page before and hadn't noticed this requirement before.

I know that the rest of the TA generally dosent mind if you wear contacts or glases. Does this mean if you wear contacts (like I do) I cant try for selection?

cheers

I know someone who wore glasses whilst in the Regiment, however I couldn't tell you if he only needed to wear them some time post selection or whether he wore them beforehand. Why not just ask them?

I think it depends on how bad your eyesight is. There is a basic eye test on initial medical. There are laods of personnel who wear glasses. But I'm unsure if you would be able to join if you had corrective eye laser treatment. Best to go find out at your local TAC.

Flasher said:
But I'm unsure if you would be able to join if you had corrective eye laser treatment.
I believe laser treatment is still grounds for medical discharge. And yes I know lots of serving personnel have had it.

Hey-up,

I did the eyesight test, all fairly standard (cover this eye and read the board etc). Only one chap failed and he was told, as an aside by one of the DS, to get them lasered and come back which he did and passed. Why not try to quickly memorise the board before you sit down? Seriously!

General point in the medical is to deny ever having anything wrong with you ever - one bloke broke his wrist 3 years before and told them. Even though it was fine (he was a gym instructor and used it every day) he was binned, so deny everything!

Peace and Love

cpunk

LE
SAS eyesight standards are basically the same as for aircrew: they don't have to be perfect but they do have to be pretty close to it. Having said that, if they strictly enforced them, the Regiment would be half the size it is now, regular and TA. I would never recommend that a potential SF recruit should lie or cheat, but...

Someone I knew, ahem, went all the way through with contact lens (although you better have had experience of sleeping in them and/or getting them in in 2 secs flat when you get bumped, etc...) and then had laser. Certainly neither the doctor or the admin staff were switched on enough to note that ten years' worth of short-sight pulheems results had miraculously changed....

dev111 said:
I know that the rest of the TA generally dosent mind if you wear contacts or glases. Does this mean if you wear contacts (like I do) I cant try for selection?

cheers
I met a 2Lt in 23 with glasses before he joined and it wasn't an issue. He used large wadges of black electrical tape to strap them to his head for parachute training. Forget about contacts. Tried them years ago and they just don't work in the field - try adjusting a lens that has gone awry with fingers inevitably caked in cam cream, soil, oil, insect repellent and human faeces and see if you can avoid a) eye infection, b) wrecking the lens. Take a spare pair of glasses with you.

I thought that the eyesight requirements were that on inspection you were found to have two eyes, each steely and with the look of hardened death dealer upon them. That they could see through walls and into the hearts of men with equal ease and were steady and unwavering under fire.

Ideally later in the your career they would become cold and hardened, as your retire one develops a slight glide and your eyebrows go all "jack russelly" to give you the authentic "Feckin Barkin mad" look.....

Mercia said:
I met a 2Lt in 23 with glasses before he joined and it wasn't an issue. He used large wadges of black electrical tape to strap them to his head for parachute training. Forget about contacts. Tried them years ago and they just don't work in the field - try adjusting a lens that has gone awry with fingers inevitably caked in cam cream, soil, oil, insect repellent and human faeces and see if you can avoid a) eye infection, b) wrecking the lens. Take a spare pair of glasses with you.
I *could* wear glasses, but I don't think they suit me so I don't bother - even without them I have above-average sight in my weaker eye. (I have very mild astigmatism in my left eye that turns my eyesight from superman levels down to merely above average - compensated for by my really crap sense of smell)

Could be that the 2Lt could see perfectly well (By army standards) without the glasses but just preferred to wear them? I do find my left eye annoying at times, mostly when I'm trying to see/read something that's just beyond the ability of that eye. (And now I've thought about it I'm going to be annoyed with it all day. Arrse.)

its all very well having contacts or glasses....... but what happens when...ooops, and here's a crazy idea....you actually need 20/20 vision when you're on active srevice in (...ohh, lets say the middle east)

.....and you've lost your specticale case?

......or got a massive eye infection because you havent changed your contacts for a week? or waded ashore from a drop off and a big fcking wave wipes out your head taking your lenses with it??

.......and as for the notion of putting them in 'when you get bumped!' - whhhhaaaaathefccckkkk?

Its fine to dodge the system on a saturdays or sundays, but the reality is that 'they' need to have good eyesite for a reason.

Here's my 2p-worth pun-fest.

On laser eye surgery and the armed forces:

I was looking (!) into this a while ago and saw (!) that the US military had not only got rid of the rule requiring that personnel found to have had laser eye surgery be binned but were in fact paying for it to be done on specky Septic warriors. So I dashed off a letter to a top Army eye boffin, asking him about the stance in Blighty. His reply was that it remains grounds for medical downgrading (but not discharge) for a period after the surgery if the correction was 6 dioptres or less. More than that and your eye becomes a bit fragile, which means that there is a risk that concussion (blast) waves or sudden cabin decompression could cause it to rupture, so out you go. That policy may now be different, so for the love of God don't go off and do something just 'cos Dr E said it was OK.

As should be obvious (!) to everyone here, if you could go off and get it done on the sly without telling anyone, although that might cause you trouble either (a) if it later emerged that you had lied to a direct question where disclosing the surgery would have been required; or (b) a blast from something causes your eyes to split like slit tomatoes.

On contact lenses in the field:

Crazy German peeper-experts have come up with silicon-based contact lenses. See http://www.nightanddaycontacts.com/html/lens/index.shtml. These are much, much better at letting oxygen through into your eyes and so you can wear them constantly for "up to" 30 days (or so says the US Food and Drug Administration). So you can go a-humpin and a-bumpin all day and night without fear of getting excrement in your eyes unless you really want to.

moving-target-survivor said:
and here's a crazy idea....you actually need 20/20 vision when you're on active srevice in (...ohh, lets say the middle east)
The fella who told me about these things wore his Night and Day contacts constantly from 20 March until 9 April 2003. I changed my daily disposable contacts every day, wearing them for 24 hours at a time: a bit naughty but no harm done.

or got a massive eye infection because you havent changed your contacts for a week?
Now look (!) here, you're being silly.

or waded ashore from a drop off and a big fcking wave wipes out your head taking your lenses with it??
Even sillier.

Mercia said:
Forget about contacts. Tried them years ago and they just don't work in the field - try adjusting a lens that has gone awry with fingers inevitably caked in cam cream, soil, oil, insect repellent and human faeces and see if you can avoid a) eye infection, b) wrecking the lens.
Contact lens technology has moved on since you tried them. Those who wear them these days travel to work using rocket packs and eat pills instead of proper food. I've never needed to adjust a contact lens in the field in my life. The worst that might happen is that you clean your hand with a wet wipe, whip the fecker out, and pop in a new daily disposable.

On 21 SAS eyesight requirements:

I don't have a clue why they published their "no specky geeks" policy on the website. Walt deterrence, perhaps. Waste of time putting a load of Splinter Cell experts through selection.

Your wrong DrE...since i got in with 20/20, my eyes got bad with age ...and i've had to deal with all these problems myself as a disposable contact lenses wearer!

belize (some chronic eye infections in my mob....but not me thank goodness)

iraq 1 and 2 (coastal patrols - river crossings - big waves and dunkings)

iraq 1 (very poor resupply and needed to switch to glasses after 4 months)

lost lense from heli-down-draft (various exercises)

.......or one of the little fckers just pops out for no particular reason except you're eyes were drying out......

Wouldlove to heve laser surgery but heared of too many irregularities.

No disputing real-life experience of all that malarkey.

I lead such a sedate life by comparison. Look at these hands! Girlishly soft!

Give Night & Day a go, though.

What really put me off LASIK was loss of night vision, a very common side-effect. Not a problem for most people. Only those who walk or drive around at night with no lights need worry. Erm ...

Heard the same about LASIK...would love to have tried for PF if I had got my eyes sorted.

Fair play to you tho.....I reckon that most contact wearers / glasses can deal with most situations (u just need a bit of forethought)...but I was always crapping myself thinking I'd loose a lense just when I didnt need too.

FYI: Got round the heli down draft by half-inching some free-fall goggles from the Crabs (nicely fit into top pocket)

Contact lenses never really shifted in the water ....but I had to do my heli-dunk drills without contacts or glasses...and thats no fun at all in the dark.

Got around GW2 by taking fcking hundreds of monthly disposables, and 24hr jobbies....that said we were never far form home anyway.

Belize was horrid....without alcho wipes / gel, people were getting infections... some leading to bad conjunctivitus. That said, glasses were fine at night but fcked up your vision a little + altered your Susat pos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads