21 ripon for my posting

Hippoman88

Swinger
I've been posted to ripon in September, just wanting to know what's the facilities are like, what they have planned tour wise? Going into 1st field squadron.

Bloody hell. I'm out of touch.
So its now 21 and no longer 38 at Claro Bks then?

Why didn't 21 get dispersed to wherever 38 went? 38 being in the city since 1959 they could surely have changed roles and just stayed put?

To my knowledge they were "only" a Field regiment anyway with no specific role.
When 11 Sqn did a Falklands tour, we from 48 were attached to give them an ADR role.

Changes eh?

chimera

LE
Nobby

38 was 19 Brigade's Close Support regiment from the mid 90s in the Mech role. When 19 Bde moved from Catterick to NI and became 19 Light Bde, 38 moved with it, being based initially in Masserene Barracks, then Aldergrove. It disbanded in 2012 when 19 Bde was taken out of the ORBAT.

21 Regt as 4 Bde's close support unit, took over Claro Barracks in 2008 when 4 Bde moved out of Osnabruk and into Catterick.

Claro Barracks is currently due to close in 2017, with the Regiment moving up to Catterick, but we wait and see.

Nobby

38 was 19 Brigade's Close Support regiment from the mid 90s in the Mech role. When 19 Bde moved from Catterick to NI and became 19 Light Bde, 38 moved with it, being based initially in Masserene Barracks, then Aldergrove. It disbanded in 2012 when 19 Bde was taken out of the ORBAT.

21 Regt as 4 Bde's close support unit, took over Claro Barracks in 2008 when 4 Bde moved out of Osnabruk and into Catterick.

Claro Barracks is currently due to close in 2017, with the Regiment moving up to Catterick, but we wait and see.
As a yokel so to speak there are more than a few rumours that the camp will remain and possibly have new inhabitants but 21 could still stay put as well.

chimera

LE
Timebandit: More than likely. Defence Infra has been trying to get rid of this site for years, but fails to recognise that (a) the site is not easy to develop due to poor road access from the surrounding area, and so is less valuable than they think and (b) the City actually likes the Sapper unit there, and will actively seek to derail any planning applications.

Timebandit: More than likely. Defence Infra has been trying to get rid of this site for years, but fails to recognise that (a) the site is not easy to develop due to poor road access from the surrounding area, and so is less valuable than they think and (b) the City actually likes the Sapper unit there, and will actively seek to derail any planning applications.
A few years ago when I was at 4 Bde I got dicked with doing the scoping work for the move of the then 3 Bdes back from Germany, Catterick and Scotland were always the prime basing options due to the facilities already there, but it was never an option to close Claro down due to those reasons - a purpose built training area on the doorstep and a very well established camp. So how they came to the decision to bin it is beyond me, but nothing surprises me anymore. :eek:

Latest Threads