20th century issue bog brushes

This seems as good a place as any to drop this.

Those white long handled bog brushes that were in every block and every quarter from my time mid-70s onwards. As often used to clean car wheels and engines as bogs.

I find the ones you can buy everywhere today to be far inferior, so...

...does anyone know if they can be bought today, and where from?

Those white long handled bog brushes that were in every block and every quarter from my time mid-70s onwards. As often used to clean car wheels and engines as bogs.

Ikea has the usual hedgehog ones, but pretty sturdy.
You might get lucky with a j-shaped one from janitorial supplies, Nisbets, Greenham trading etc.

Brabantia still make them. I've had one fro about 20 years. Expensive, but available on ebay
1656240953772.png

964ST

LE
Get yourself a “Klingomatick” they are advertised almost everywhere.

Abrasive wiping wheel to remove undesired elements.

1656241674769.png

For clarification, is it for cleaning the throne, wheels, engine or hoop-maintenence?

It works out at less than a pound a year for me so far.

Edited to add - you are in India, which I believe is a shitter's paradise, so you are spoiled for choice.

ftfy. hth!

964ST

LE

You can pick up the originals from Salamanca BKS Block 35, lohne. near Soest! Ex officers mess, used or unused. Boxes of them there are:)

You can get this old fashioned bog brush and galv bucket for under a fiver.

1656242526804.png

I was reading the Memorable Things From Your Yoof thread this morning and was thinking about these. I once described a bloke to a copper as "having a bog brush haircut". He didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Back in the sixties it was a pretty standard description of a grown out skinhead haircut.

Phew!! That's a relief!
Bizarrely enough, I read some "experts' cleaning tips". One said j-shape brush, another the standard hedgehog, yet another a silicone- dimple design - and that mad Aggie-off the telly-woman, marigolds and washing up scourer!
They were J-shape, perfect for getting just that little bit further...

...up the U bend ;)

You can get this old fashioned bog brush and galv bucket for under a fiver.

View attachment 672986

I was reading the Memorable Things From Your Yoof thread this morning and was thinking about these. I once described a bloke to a copper as "having a bog brush haircut". He didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Back in the sixties it was a pretty standard description of a grown out skinhead haircut.
I still use that expression now!

Bog brushes - have you tried the local Chinese bazaar? Or Pound Shop.

I've looked online, and what you've been showing me are standard civvy ones that just don't get under the rim properly and don't get far enough along the U bend.

The ones we had were ubiquitous and were white handled and were shaped like a hockey stick with black bristles.

I'm beginning to wonder how many of you really served ;)

Latest Threads