204 Ruger

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by CptDanjou, May 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got or had experience of the 204 Ruger round , it shoots real flat out to 400yds and would make an excellent fox calibre IMHO ,they seem very popular on the US but not in the UK, was wondering why?

.204 Ruger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  2. I've had a few rounds of it, it gave me a hangover.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You are quite correct on all points, it shoots really well, its just not massively popular here as its a bit of a 1 trick pony. Thats not to say dont get one. There are also some bargains to be had out there. In Holts sealed bid there was a brand new rifle in this calibre in the box and it didnt sell. I was tempted but I need to sell them on afterwards.
    I keep a .223 Ruger 77Mk2 HBVT as a one trick pony and its fun when I get around to using it! If you want one go for it, the more users the more popular and eventually it may replace .223 for foxing!
  4. This was the 'Buzz Lightyear' of the fox shooting world about two years ago. Everyone raved about it but when you add up all of the expenditure against how easy it is (comparably) to get .223/5.56 or 222 (.22-250, 220 Swift etc) or any of the other fox hunting calibres, can it really be justified.

It does what it says on the tin and if you have the money to burn, go for it.

Bob Bucknell talks about what he uses: James Marchington's Blog: Fox shooting with Robert Bucknell
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not knocking Bob Bucknall, I wouldnt last 2 minutes if I did but he is firmly wedded to the .223 and the Cam. This only in my mind because he was dead against the 88 ban and used an AR 15 self loader as he swore by the need for rapid second shots on vermin.
    He is very good at what he does but not the last word, that will be I expect long after we are worm food!

That said I prefer JM to CJ as commentators of ouur sport. Dont let negative views sway you from your path, experimentation is what makes the sport so good. I do believe you can find that calibre for the job and some have found theirs, a friend of mine wont use anything other than .222, another the .22-250 and so on!
  6. FNC from memory, or at least he raves about it in one book.

He's not the final word, you're it 8)
    • Like Like x 1