2021 - What now for illegals?

Illegal entry into the UK is no longer a "criminal" offence, it is now an administrative offence.
how and when did that happen? what's the difference?

ETA: what is the ratio of successful vs non-successful asylum seekers?

gorilla

War Hero
It happened a few years ago, think of it like this, if you cross the uk border illegally, you get a criminal record and maybe deported, a criminal offence ie people smuggling you get a fine/ prison time. Its essentially about the punishment aspect.

gorilla

War Hero
Put it this way, if you exclude the ones who commit criminal acts who then get deported, only about 12.5% actually get administratively removed from the uk each year. I believe if you play your cards right, they can get about 8 appeals in, all at our expense!

I thought the way it worked was they are illegal immigrants until they claim asylum, then they become asylum seekers, if their claim is successful they then become refugees. If their claim isn't successful then they are failed asylum seekers whom we then fail to deport.
Ultimately though, they all start off as illegal immigrant because they entered the country illegally.......
...there you go then.

gorilla

War Hero
Except some of them come here legally on their own passports and claim asylum at border control points in airports or sur place where a person is here legally lets say as a student and the situation in their home country changes so drastically that they cannot return.

endure

GCM
The first question they should be asked is "Where did you get in the dinghy"?

The second question should be "How did you get from there to the UK's water's"?

If the second question does not support the first, then bye-bye back to France.

@endure I am sure you do your job well, and to the very best of your abilities, but your responses seem to come across as passive-aggressive, and defensive. Surely you cannot believe you can defend the Status Quo on here?
I'm not quite sure where you think my job comes into it. For the record I'm retired. For the further record the reason I know a bit about SOLAS is because it was drilled into me for 3 years before I joined the merchant navy. It was what my job on board was all about.

What I write on here is my opinion.

I'm not defending anything. I'm pointing out the facts.

There is a huge problem with illegal immigration but ignoring the law around it or pretending that it can be ignored won't solve any problems in the same way that fantasies about parking them all on Rockall or sending them back to sovereign states without those state's agreement isn't going to happen.

If we want to start to solve the problem we have to start by accepting what is not what we'd like things to be.

And no I don't have the solution either.

If the French want to be arsey we can too. Stop every vehicle entering the UK via France and conduct a thorough search for illegals. The ferries can't offload HGVs this side of the Channel if there's nowhere to park them whilst awaiting inspection so the ferries won't be able to turn around and fetch more lorries from France. The build up of traffic would be immense in France and would royally piss the frogs off. It would have a similar effect to the stunt Macron pulled off a few weeks back.
Errr.....then the shops start emptying, the panic buyers return and there's even less, meanwhile it's all rotting in Calais.....perhaps we should rethink that one.....

Good point.......
Except some of them come here legally on their own passports and claim asylum at border control points in airports or sur place where a person is here legally lets say as a student and the situation in their home country changes so drastically that they cannot return.
Good point......

I'm pretty a sure a revised policy of refusing benefits to people including HOUSING and 5 quid a day without proper documentation wouldn't go amiss?

Like these asylum seekers and immigrants whom turn out of the abis...
As we have no way of getting out of our agreed asylum responsibilities and whilst waiting for clearance to stay they get approx £4.57 a day and a hostel to stay in, what next, you can't not look after them once they are here and you can't prevent them from coming........there is no simple answer....

gorilla

War Hero
The best way to tackle the illegal immigration problem is by direct action against the smuggling networks, if we took out the smuggling gangs in the Libyan ports and bumped off the Kurdish and Albanian smugglers operating from France and Spain, we would see a massive drop in the number of illegals.

Agreed. So many of the social issues in UK right now can be linked to mass migration over the last 20 years and particularly how we've inculcated the conditions to continually accept so many migrants.

Whilst it may be convenient to blame the EU, so much of this is our own doing. I posted previously that the 2021 census will be an absolute sham. If Boris wants to secure a second term, he'd be wise to go hard after illegal migrations, stopping the flow, and a concerted effort to repatriate illegals.

The challenge right now is that discussing paedos whilst in polite company is more socially acceptable than the elephant in the room that is migration. Woke and leftism will only make that worse.
Mass Migration was the direct effect of 'freedom of movement' one of the REAL reasons for leaving the EU, even though we weren't part of Schengen. Allowing large numbers of foreign 'workers' to come to the UK without a job first but to seek work, directly suppressed the local wages. Which is why employers did it...it drove down pay and saved money to increase profit, unless there is a genuine shortage of workers, then there should be no need for broad spectrum job seeking from outwit the UK. Plus UK wages will start to once again be a 'market' were supply and demand truly dictate the level as it used to do.....

It happened a few years ago, think of it like this, if you cross the uk border illegally, you get a criminal record and maybe deported, a criminal offence ie people smuggling you get a fine/ prison time. Its essentially about the punishment aspect.
What happened to the 1971 immigration act. Has it been repealed. It must have been if it is not a criminal offence?

The best way to tackle the illegal immigration problem is by direct action against the smuggling networks, if we took out the smuggling gangs in the Libyan ports and bumped off the Kurdish and Albanian smugglers operating from France and Spain, we would see a massive drop in the number of illegals.
Lack of will power from the EU. Its left to countries like Poland, Hungary and Croatia to take there own unilateral action. Meanwhile the XRW grows stronger and stronger in Europe.

That would require international cooperation, host-nation consent and no doubt serve to squeeze the ballon elsewhere. As long as the UK remains a jam pot, the ants will keep coming. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do the former, but until we sort out the home bank, away actions will be of limited effect.

How are we going to take action in France or Spain? They are foreign countries where we have no jurisdiction. Plus it's in the interests of the French and Spanish if the illegals keep moving west towards the UK where they will eventually become our burden, not theirs.

Oh dear, it was only a matter of time.

They've set parts of Napier Bks detention facility on fire just to make a point like others did in the Greek Islands, time to deport.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk