Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 UK Census

Next year is Census year for the country.

If remotely accurate, I think the figures and the picture they'll paint of the country will be horrifying.

I also think if those figures are then matched with a financial study of who contributes what, some people are in for a massive shock.

However... it might provide the launchpad for a hard long look as to why we're in such a mess now, and look at sorting that out.

But probably not...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Definitely not, do you actually think that certain nationalities will be totally truthful about how many are living there?

So who will have the biggest group this time Jedis or Pastafarians?

Definitely not, do you actually think that certain nationalities will be totally truthful about how many are living there?
What are you saying..?

Yeah.

What's the legal comeback for lying on a census? Could you get prosecutions based on evidence provided afterwards? Do they link the census to benefit address logs for instance?

If remotely accurate, I think the figures and the picture they'll paint of the country will be horrifying.

I also think if those figures are then matched with a financial study of who contributes what, some people are in for a massive shock.

However... it might provide the launchpad for a hard long look as to why we're in such a mess now, and look at sorting that out.

But probably not...
The big issue - population growth and societal cohesion - is driven by the economy: business wants cheap labour. Everything is driven by that, and the SJW types dress it all up as helping 'refugees'.
I share your view.
Capitalism is the problem. It is rubbish in many ways, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. Government will always kow tow to business when it comes to furnishing low cost labour. Even at the cost of our country increasingly being divided.

Be interesting to see what happens with China - if they do become persona non grata and there's a big push for more domestically produced gear, it could actually get worse - there's no way to be remotely competitive on the current minimum wage.

Awol

LE
The big issue - population growth and societal cohesion - is driven by the economy: business wants cheap labour. Everything is driven by that, and the SJW types dress it all up as helping 'refugees'.
I share your view.
Capitalism is the problem. It is rubbish in many ways, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. Government will always kow tow to business when it comes to furnishing low cost labour. Even at the cost of our country increasingly being divided.
Other than gangmasters in Lincolnshire fields, there is no ‘cheap labour’. All businesses are bound by the Minimum Wage and have no choice other than to pay it. The problem isn’t the wage level, it’s the number of applicants fighting for each job because the country is massively over populated.

4(T)

LE
IMHO the census should form the basis for personal issue of an ID card that in turn should be the requirement for access to any UK public service.

That might be the only way of obtaining an approximate true tally of UK headcount. (I'm fairly sure the last census didn't pick up the 30+ occupants recently discovered in one semi just up the road).

I don't understand how government (any party) thinks it can run any sort of social welfare budget without knowing the population headcount even to +/- 5 million.

But probably not...

Just posted in another thread The UK/European migrant problem but is applicable here

That the figures are sadly just guesstimates is the fault of the many Governments of the last 5 decades or so failing to take seriously, that one cannot plan for sustainable strategic infrastructure, if one does not know the real population size, sadly the self reporting style of the national census, will always be off somewhat. That the last national census was in 2011, and the next planned for 2021.

The reality of this lag is that the nations infrastructure, cannot be effectively planned or managed. That many public and private, utilities and services regularly state that the ONS, figures for the population has has cropped up many times in various threads.

Other than gangmasters in Lincolnshire fields, there is no ‘cheap labour’. All businesses are bound by the Minimum Wage and have no choice other than to pay it. The problem isn’t the wage level, it’s the number of applicants fighting for each job because the country is massively over populated.

Business paying minimum wage and exploited worker receiving it are two different things.

The agri sector you mention is a good example of this.

Deductions for food, accom, transport and sundry 'admin' is a business in its own right, which can be introduced to other sectors.

Trebles all round. Chin chin.

The census will be a waste of time, I can categorically guarantee that the people who are new to this Country or shouldn't be here wont fill it in. Therefore, a waste of time.

If it is filled in correctly it needs to be tied to benefits and those stopped if its not filled in, make it a criminal act with threat of prison.

slick

LE
IMHO the census should form the basis for personal issue of an ID card that in turn should be the requirement for access to any UK public service.
Possibly the best idea I`ve heard for a long time. This is something the government should run with in a robust manner. It could sort out a lot of evils.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer

That might be the only way of obtaining an approximate true tally of UK headcount. (I'm fairly sure the last census didn't pick up the 30+ occupants recently discovered in one semi just up the road).

I don't understand how government (any party) thinks it can run any sort of social welfare budget without knowing the population headcount even to +/- 5 million.
There was, a few years ago, so likely still around, a little shop in a back street in Bangkok, a shop that could replicate pretty good fake id's (we were looking at fake MOD90's). So they would need to be sophisticated and biometric.

If it is filled in correctly it needs to be tied to benefits and those stopped if its not filled in, make it a criminal act with threat of prison.

Oh that's an evil plan.... I like it!
Benefit claimant appears at the job centre. Right, just some paperwork for you to complete sir... *hands over census form* when that's done please return it to us.

Chef

LE
Given that people can 'identify' as pretty much what they want how accurate will it be?

If Boris is quick, he can get his 3,000,000 Chinese in, just in time.

For some reason I have no screaming alarm bells with this Statement today.
I do realise we would have difficulties accomodating, educating children of, building extra hospitals for - a large influx of HK immigrants. Even spread over an extended period.

But I would far rather have them than the same number from other areas of the Commonwealth or N. Africa or ME.

Hong Kong'ers understand our concept of democracy, value it and won't abuse it.

On the subject of a National Identity Card (Or Scheme/System/Registration, whatever it will be called.), aside from the insistence about Englishman’s home/castle from some, why not? What’s to stop a system being introduced whereby everyone in the UK is registered and given a photo card?
We have in Peru a system where almost (I’ll come to that in a minute.) everyone is registered and issued a card every 10 years. The system is initially paid for by government but then reissued cards are paid for by the individual. (About £8 at the moment.). With my card and a simple check on a national database I can, if I want, register at a bank for a loan, hire an e-scooter or countless other things. You link as much as you want too to the card and just do it. You’ve got to the stage in UK where desperate measures are called for.
There will will be concerns about personal privacy, (get over it/not all information is available to all people.) security (then people will have to be trained, a whole new employment possibility in itself), security of data etc. Boris’s attitude of “Just get it done!” should help.
For those that genuinely can’t afford the cost, the government will pay. All cards to be issued in English only.
The card is purely a guarantee that that name/dob/phot/fingerprint were correct at the time of issue.
No card? No free services.

There are schemes in the highlands here that are trying to capture the last few people without a card. I’ve been directly involved in one. Free medical care if you and your children are registered they get free medical care at the local clinic. These are often 40/50year old husbands who can’t read or write, who speak Aymara or Quechua as a first language and have never interacted with the authorities, and their families. You won’t suddenly find hidden tribes who’ve never seen a white person in the UK. You’ve got the money and skill. If Peru can do it, UK can.

(Incidentally I can use my Peruvian ID card to travel between all Latin American countries except Venezuela, and Brasil, but they don’t interest me.)