2012 UK Olympic shooting team

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grumblegrunt, Jun 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

2. Sour grapes, nothing more.

That technicality being your shadmin.

Had you attained the score in a competition like you were supposed to, instead of turning up with a scorecard signed by your mum, you might have made the team.

3. Reading the article it seems really silly to exclude these men. It is not like allowing them to shoot would bump two other qualified shooters off the team. There were no other candidates for the men's pistol team. As to providing scores from competition, they have the disadvantage of living in a country where there is little or no competitive pistol shooting with few opportunities to qualify under the rules set by the British Olympic team. I understand that the civilian members of the team shoot in other countries, perhaps not an option for soldiers.

Just sorry for the men and sorry that Britain seems determined to screw themselves out of a decent shot at a medal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The article doesn't say that at all.

If it is the case though, I agree the decision is stupid.

But Cook and Jack could just be two vocal military members of a larger group of other hopefuls, who also hold nothing other than a signed scorecard and reputation. Where do you draw the line?

And I can't imagine that British Shooting wrote the qualifying criteria last week. Both shooters have had ample time to get their shit together but haven't - Georgina did.

5. H3

H3 LE

Oh dear me your g peg or what ever it's called reminds me of a young Polish female I've recently spoken too ...... Very confident and a naughty eye brow rise !!!!!

6. Read the article.
    Shadmin yes I grant you that
    But a World number 1 in his sport, and because of this technicality he is not selected is questionable.
    Due to the non-selection, UK will have no-one representing us at this discipline is bonkers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Of course the article may not be accurate as it says:

Rapid fire free pistol??? WTF? no such event.

The article (perhaps incorrectly) seems to imply that British Shooting sets the standards, not the IOC. I should note that the long awaited ISSF world cup event in Beijing, scheduled for prior to the London Games, were cancelled on fairly short notice by Chinese authorities and the world cup was rescheduled for after the London games which may have denied these men of an opportunity to qualify in international competition.

Just seems a shame that Britain is missing a chance to compete in one of the shooting disciplines.

8. The British bureaucrat at his best, ensuring that the Olympics is even more of a national humiliation than would otherwise be the case.

And Albert_Turner, it's not likely that they are "just... two vocal military members of a larger group of other hopefuls, who also hold nothing other than a signed scorecard and reputation" - with their exclusion, there will be NO British competitors in that category.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not to worry some other "rehabilitated" drug cheat can be found from the plenty of spares we have to take their place, its not as if they actually do anything for their country unlike a professional athelete is it!

For the hard of thinking its called irony!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Last I heard Nick Gault (more pistol gongs than anyone in Europe) has also been excluded on a technicality.

It would be embarrassing for UK to win a pistol shooting gong, as it would certainly promote a debate into revoking the ban. The Olympic organisers are going to great lengths to lower the profile of shooting, and ensure it gets no platform for development.
    Seb Coe has a personal axe to grind, being ex-head of the NPA he became vilified when he threw his hat in and supported a ban. Now I believe there is an element of personal vendetta involved.
    I had tickets to the smallbore rifle, but I won't be going, and I won't be watching, it will just make me angry to sit in a place I know is going to be torn down a few weeks later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well I wouldnt have wasted my money supporting the London, Bournemouth and Glasgow Olympics that claim Bisley is too far from London! Now I'm sure folks here know I have no love for the NRA etc and the NSSC but Bisley is the home of target shooting sports in England and therefore should have hosted the games shooting events!
    Hey ho we all know that when the current lot including Boris got into office changing the things that didnt matter to them wasnt going to happen.
    people wonder why we hate politicians? I certainly have gone out of my way to avoid them and would rather be imprisoned tthan shake hands with any of the current crop of crooks!

• Like Like x 2
  12. FTFY

• Like Like x 1
  13. Everything is being done to ensure the lowest possible chance of shooting winning any medals and leaves no legacy.
    If they could have, the UK would have had no shooting competitions in the games. IOC rules however say there will be comps, so the UK is doing the absolute minimum to comply.

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The argument about Bisley being too far away falls flat on its face when you see where some other events are being held.

The fragmented UK shooting lobby completely failed to get this farce sorted out. I get the impression there are a couple of Tory MP's who would have got behind it, but they don't do political suicide missions....

15. Come in mate, you know perfectly well why Bisley was excluded, holding the comps there would have meant tens of millions of enduring investment would have been sunk into shooting in the UK, and the public would have seen that despite the spin, thousands of people shoot every week on tens of thousands of acres of Englandshire and have a great time doing it.