2012 shooting venue under fire

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by arby, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. been covered a lot on the site but bit more info on the finance/planning side.

2. Do they mean that Philip Boakes is the chairman of the governing body of an outfit called 'British Shooting'?

Or are they saying that 'British Shooting' is the governing body of British shooting sports?

If they mean the latter then I've never heard of 'British Shooting' in that context!

Anyone care to enlighten me? :?
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. "They admit the venue will be dismantled after the Games but insist the ranges can be relocated to other established shooting sites."

Who will pay for them to be re-erected elsewhere?

What "other established shooting sites"?
  6. Isn't there a small range out Dartford way anyway that faces out towards the estuary. What's wrong with using the ranges at Colchester?
  7. I think that the thinking behind using this site (shooting at woolwich) is to regenerate a horribly run down and poor area of London. I know that that isn't really the idea of the Olympics, but that's pretty much how it works.
  8. Unlike the pretty poor and run-down dump that's Colchester?

Only joking before I get anymore hate mail! :wink:
  9. The whole of S/E England is a dump!!!!! :D :D
  10. Dartford? Surely they cannot mean that windswept clay range on the barren wastes of the Dartford Marshes next to the sewage works? What utter bollox.

Woolwich has a number of "issues", never mind the cost. It was substitued because the IOC made a fuss. This has been known for some time:

GBTSF ballistic experts are understood to have estimated that, under standard safety templates, 21-metre high protective fences will have to be built on the shotgun ranges to shield surrounding areas.

ISSF rules also require appropriate room for spectators and demand that 25 and 50 metre pistol and rifle events take place on separate ranges for safety reasons. Sufficient space may not be available on the Woolwich site.

So you need build the great wall of Woolwich, it might not fit and there is no real legacy.

Dartford is naff beyond words but I am sure there is a lobby that would really fancy a free upgrade, windswept, sewage works or not.

Meanwhile, all the facilities as used for the Commonwealth Games will sit unused at Bisley because it is "too far away". Wonderful
  11. British Shooting is the new name for the Great Britain Target Shooting Federation (GBTSF), which was an umbrella body created to provide a single point of contact for the Olympic disciplines (e.g. British Olympic Committee), and for UK Sport.

Try here: