2012 Poppy Appeal Shame

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mexeman, Oct 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday I was in Tesco's and saw an elderly gent collecting on behalf of RBL Poppy Appeal, I checked my pockets and found the princely sum of 40p (2 x 20p pieces) and absolutely no other money at all. I put the paltry sum into the collection tin as another elderly person, a female, handed him a five pound note.

My guilt was twofold,
    One, that I only had 40 pence available for a donation
    Two, that an elderly person who (may have been on a restricted income) was able to proffer a fiver.

I have since made amends with a tenner, but have any Arrsers had a similar experience?
  2. 40p is a considerable amount compared to nothing.
    • Like Like x 8
  3. If you keep them concealed by holding your fingers uppermost you can get away with just chucking in a few coppers. It works best if you also distract them when you do it by apologising loudly about the lack of paper but explaining that you've made up for it by putting lots of 1 and 2 pound coins in.

This method carries the added bonus that random passers by will hear how generous you are and reduce the likelyhood that you'll feel the need to start an internet thread announcing that you donated a tenner to the RBL.

You sheep's cunt.
    • Like Like x 11
  4. £10.40 actually. Can't you count?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Peasant, walking around with no cash to deal with the lower orders? Simply not done old boy.
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

We all make mistakes in life. What does not kill you makes you stronger. Move on. Move up. Soar on the wings of an eagle (etc).

Jesus. Am I getting paid enough to deal with these fucking deadbeats? Where is my taxi? Is this Manchester? Charlotte....
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Who speaks highly of whom?
  8. After 2 lots of Euromillions and then 3 of Lotto I didn't have a lot left. Poor excuse, but true.
  9. You're allowed to donate more than once - as you did.
  10. More than some, of that I have no doubt.
    But still not enough.......
  11. I refuse to carry cash, its a fucking pain in the arse when you're walking past a collection sounding like a bastard fruit machine paying out.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cock
  13. That's not cash, the metal tokens are of no use to anyone, I scatter them on the ground to feed any scavenging robots. Cash is a selection of notes in the wallet, one should never be without a few fifties and twenties.
  14. You don't donate then? Cock?
  15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You live where people will take a fifty note over the bar?

So, what happens in Wimbledon when you are not playing tennis.
    • Like Like x 1