2012 Poppy Appeal Shame

Yesterday I was in Tesco's and saw an elderly gent collecting on behalf of RBL Poppy Appeal, I checked my pockets and found the princely sum of 40p (2 x 20p pieces) and absolutely no other money at all. I put the paltry sum into the collection tin as another elderly person, a female, handed him a five pound note.

My guilt was twofold,
One, that I only had 40 pence available for a donation
Two, that an elderly person who (may have been on a restricted income) was able to proffer a fiver.

I have since made amends with a tenner, but have any Arrsers had a similar experience?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Yesterday I was in Tesco's and saw an elderly gent collecting on behalf of RBL Poppy Appeal, I checked my pockets and found the princely sum of 40p (2 x 20p pieces) and absolutely no other money at all. I put the paltry sum into the collection tin as another elderly person, a female, handed him a five pound note.

My guilt was twofold,
Two, that an elderly person who (may have been on a restricted income) was able to profer a fiver.

I have since made amends with a tenner, but have any Arrsers had a similar experience?
40p is a considerable amount compared to nothing.

If you keep them concealed by holding your fingers uppermost you can get away with just chucking in a few coppers. It works best if you also distract them when you do it by apologising loudly about the lack of paper but explaining that you've made up for it by putting lots of 1 and 2 pound coins in.

This method carries the added bonus that random passers by will hear how generous you are and reduce the likelyhood that you'll feel the need to start an internet thread announcing that you donated a tenner to the RBL.

You sheep's cunt.

If you keep them concealed by holding your fingers uppermost you can get away with just chucking in a few coppers. It works best if you also distract them when you do it by apologising loudly about the lack of paper but explaining that you've made up for it by putting lots of 1 and 2 pound coins in.

This method carries the added bonus that random passers by will hear how generous you are and reduce the likelyhood that you'll feel the need to start an internet thread announcing that you donated a tenner to the RBL.

You sheep's cunt.
£10.40 actually. Can't you count?

My guilt was twofold,
Two, that an elderly person who (may have been on a restricted income) was able to proffer a fiver.

Peasant, walking around with no cash to deal with the lower orders? Simply not done old boy.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yesterday I was in Tesco's
We all make mistakes in life. What does not kill you makes you stronger. Move on. Move up. Soar on the wings of an eagle (etc).

Jesus. Am I getting paid enough to deal with these fucking deadbeats? Where is my taxi? Is this Manchester? Charlotte....

That's not cash, the metal tokens are of no use to anyone, I scatter them on the ground to feed any scavenging robots. Cash is a selection of notes in the wallet, one should never be without a few fifties and twenties.

Why would you live somewhere they don't take fifties over the bar?

What happens in Wimbledon after the tennis? One can only presume that they resume eating their children.

You live where people will take a fifty note over the bar?

So, what happens in Wimbledon when you are not playing tennis.
Saw someone offer a twenty in McDonalds which was then put through a bit of kit to check authenticity, when he asked for the change to be authenticated similarly, he was looked at a bit strangely.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

My guilt was twofold,

The other way round.....took poppy collection to folks doors on Sunday...lady comes to the door with a zimmer frame,delighted to see bloody poppy bloke ....shuffles off to get purse, opens it and not a bean there...I told her to take one for free and stick a few bob in the next tin she came across...

Funny how its always the older ones who look as though the next gust of wind is gonnae carry them off who stick a fiver in your tin.......thank God for our elders and betters....

The other way round.....took poppy collection to folks doors on Sunday...lady comes to the door with a zimmer frame,delighted to see bloody poppy bloke ....shuffles off to get purse, opens it and not a bean there...I told her to take one for free and stick a few bob in the next tin she came across...

Funny how its always the older ones who look as though the next gust of wind is gonnae carry them off who stick a fiver in your tin.......thank God for our elders and betters....
So, the next time did "she come across"? Are you Jimmys Uncle?

In my younger days i gave both kids 50p each to put in and apologised for not having more. The Genleman with the tin said "Your pound is the equivalent to a rich mans grand, and no one puts a grand in. Thank you very much for your contribution Misss" Guess it all adds up in the end.