2012 Olympic Games - Pistol shooting.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by extechstmn, Dec 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our British Olympic pistol team currently has to travel abroad to train due to our ridiculous gun laws. How, therefore, can we host the Olympic Games without this event - or are our laws going to change again to accomodate this?

2. It will only be a problem for the British team.

Any non-British nationals will be permitted to flaunt the laws of the land as usual and probably given some free cash for turning up as well.

3. Perhaps we could train our pistol in team in the art of "Pistol whipping", and we can "pistol whip" said foreign nationals into submission?

4. Maybe the Army could step in and help? Provide some facilities for training or secure the arms. That or we use the good old Browning 9mm, could be fun!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I would come back with some retort about .32 but its been so long I couldnt say what the Olympic pistol shooters use nowadays.

6. A reply from a recent petition on the subject :x

Here is what I have just been sent:

While the Government has no plans to relax the handgun ban, Home Office Ministers have recently agreed to look at whether it might be possible to put in place arrangements to allow a small number of potential medal winners to practise in Great Britain in advance of the 2012 Games. They will have further meetings with interested parties to discuss how this can be best achieved. Any such arrangements will need to take into account allowing competitors sufficient time to carry out training prior to the 2012 Olympics, while ensuring that public safety is not put at risk.

BOLLOX!

7. There's a few local ranges.... whoops.... I meant nightclubs in the Brixton that could be put to use. Hmmm that bit about 'public safety' I'm not to sure about. Don't fuss, Red Ken will come up with a solution any day now.

8. Total bollox!

And just how would the fact that a group of professional sportsmen/women having access to handguns to fulfill their sport be a risk to public safety?

This fcukin' Country really gets up my fcukin' hump sometimes.

9. Would need to get TC on the training team as an "alleged" expert pistol whipper - to quote the odd raghead

10. I'd be interested to know where they are going to recruit a team from, since those who do currently chase the sport have to go abroad to practice, which doesn't give much to select a team from does it? The only realistic source would be serving military personnel not even ex services.
    However if they were to allow existing FAC holders a variation to this category at least they'd be involving people with firearms experience other than just the MOD personnel.
    Secondly if they did select from the forces would that be regarded a misuse of already stretched resources and public money?

11. Well there's a national reserve forces pistol comp held every year at Pirbright, usually around the beginning of Sept.

Incredibly well run with probably about 30 lanes all going at the same time.
    All sorts of people a true purple event.

Dont see why they couldn't train there

Never any problem with public safety apart from we get let loose in Woking!!!

12. Ranges are not the issue / problem, it's the law, as there are plenty of clubs including one I attend that are MOD certificated for most calibers, we are currently still able to shoot long barreled revolvers ( Within certain specifications ) among other guns but not 'semi autos' such as the browning 9mm which is what is actually banned along with .22 pistols

13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The British Team [such as it will be] will undoubtedly be selected from those members of The British Alpine Rifles who have the time, money and commitment to train in Switzerland.

The number of potential members who were buried by electioneering politicians post-Dunblane is tragic. We had a sport [utterly harmless, nobody ever got hurt doing it] that had World-class talent. I do believe this one is a dead duck, probably like the Saudi Arabian Women's bobsleigh team. :x

14. Bothered.

It's not like we'd ever get a medal or anything in it.

15. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Oh yes, we would have done .... loads of them.

Micky Gault has more Commonwealth Games medals [for pistol] than you could believe ... He now holds a staggering 8 gold medals, 1 silver and 2 bronze medals won over 3 successive games. Any chance of Olympic Gold? Probably.

LINKY-CLICK