Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

2012 Diamond Jubilee Medal?

Fallschirmjager said:
Filbert Fox said:
Another piece of shite that people will have difficulty in explaining why they got it.

To be fair there has been no release as of yet of anything being issued on a large scale or otherwise.

And to be even fairer the sprogs might need something by then to keep up with us silver laden (Kenny Everet like) dashing chaps :D :D

MBLU said:
I am sure there will be a QDJM and I can see it now - mainly red ribbon in comparison to the QSJM and QGJM. The controversy over the previous two - the first was given out unfairly the second too greatly (5 years service) could be avoided; for example 10 years service - start date the QGJM or maybe only to veterans of campaigns! Removing the current furore for a seperate veterans medal.
The medal I envisaged has already been done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_II_Coronation_Medal
So I would suggest a ribbon of red-white-blue as in Victorias Diamond Jubilee.

Its good to see people here violently opposed to the N.D.M having different views to a G.D.J.M.

Or Bling such as Royal's:

Attachments

• rm-diamond-jubilee.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 3,879
MBLU said:
I am sure there will be a QDJM and I can see it now - mainly red ribbon in comparison to the QSJM and QGJM. The controversy over the previous two - the first was given out unfairly the second too greatly (5 years service) could be avoided; for example 10 years service - start date the QGJM or maybe only to veterans of campaigns! Removing the current furore for a seperate veterans medal.

Crack smoker springs to mind.

Fallschirmjager said:
MBLU said:

Crack smoker springs to mind.

Can we get a NDM as well??

Bollocks to a QDJM. I'll only have one if they pay for the mounting as well, costing me a fortune nowadays. Miniatures as well.

MBLU said:
[
Its good to see people here violently opposed to the N.D.M having different views to a G.D.J.M.

And do you not think that there’s a possibility that certain people may be saying things on this thread, just to get a ‘ahem’ response from certain others :wink:

CAARPS said:
MBLU said:

And do you not think that there’s a possibility that certain people may be saying things on this thread, just to get a ‘ahem’ response from certain others :wink:

Yes - thats what the G stands for Gullible :D

Fugly said:
Bollocks to a QDJM. I'll only have one if they pay for the mounting as well, costing me a fortune nowadays. Miniatures as well.

Come to Herford - mounting for full size is free - you have to pay for minatures though!!

Here's an idea. Why not just ordain that only one 'grace and favour' medal may be worn? My QGJM would therefore suffice. If I decided that a DJM was less tacky, and I was entitled, I could wear that instead.

Same principle with NA5/Althea medal, IIRC the wearer can elect which to wear.

Meritorious conduct/service and Op Tour medals would be unaffected.

This would keep the bling collectors at bay - and the NDM remains a toss idea mooted by the petulant IMHO.

Victorian_Major said:
Here's an idea. Why not just ordain that only one 'grace and favour' medal may be worn? My QGJM would therefore suffice. If I decided that a DJM was less tacky, and I was entitled, I could wear that instead.

Same principle with NA5/Althea medal, IIRC the wearer can elect which to wear.

Meritorious conduct/service and Op Tour medals would be unaffected.

This would keep the bling collectors at bay - and the NDM remains a toss idea mooted by the petulant IMHO.

And opposed by the blinkered. :wink:

If I hang on in until 2012 and there is a DJM, I will be able to add that and one of these new fangled People's Reservist gongs in lieu of gentlemanly bars to the TD. I will look like a Ugandan Field Marshal! Or the Earl of Wessex...all balance lost between those earned "during the war" and at curry lunches and drinks parties for her Maj'!

Interesting thoughts in this "string".

My attitude is that the DJM should be awarded to those who met the, admittedly, too wide criteria for the GJM and have maintained their service for the additional ten years. Personally I would have preferred for the DJ to be recognised by a clasp but too late - the govt have jumped in with their usual sensitivity and reason.

Costs etc. are all valid concerns.

For those who are concerned about looking like our "cousins" from across the water - I understand your fears but we have a long way to go before we sink to those levels.

So what you're saying is only those who have served for over 15 years or thereabouts should get it? I wonder if you'd agree with that if you yourself wouldn't qualify?