Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this story originates in the Daily Mail but, based on past Census demands, it probably has an element of truth in it.

Ministers are being accused of planning to snoop into citizens' private lives in the most intrusive national census ever carried out. The 2011 survey will demand to know how many bedrooms there are in homes and detailed information about any 'overnight visitors'.

Typical of the current Stalinist style of government. On the other hand an opportunity to render the whole exercise meaningless by providing incorrect information, particularly about one's sexuality, religion etc etc.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222841/The-snoopers-census-2011-survey-ask-sex-birth-date-overnight-visitors.html#ixzz0V2LzrWVl

2. does anyone answer all the questions truthfully anyway especially the religion one. I remember there was a thing going round when the last one was due, asking everyone to put Jedi as a religion

3. "New questions have been developed for topics where there is a new demand for information, and existing questions have been redeveloped to account for increasing or changing user requirements"

So who "demands" this new information? Who requires more of it??

Oh wait, an image is forming...........

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

5. It also asks: 'How well can you speak English?... very well, well, not well or not at all.'

I would wager that if you can't speak English... you're hardly going to be able to read the bloody form :)

6. Great stuff...
    "And for the first time since the mid-1970s the questionnaire will include an entire page devoted to Dutch Steamboating.

Meanwhile the marital status question will carry eight options including single, married, divorced, separated, gay wife, lesbian husband, 'DIY pleasure monkey' or shacked-up with a tall, muscular African gentleman.

....A Home Office spokesman insisted the information was vital to government planning and not related in any way to the unremitting creepiness of Gordon Brown.

He added: "Up to the minute figures on key demographic indicators such as Dutch Steamboating, Chocolate Marmalade and the Shanghai Two Stroke, will enable us to make accurate predictions on future demand for hip replacement surgery."

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

(My bold) Yes. What's your problem?

8. No it,s not new. I,m researching my family history and have seen Census from 1901, where the census taker wrote down on the day who was
    present in the home, including visitors, and if any family member was not present then that person was simply not recorded. There is anecdotal evidence that people also lied like hell about all sorts of things regarding their status and who exactly was a bona fide resident in that particular home/dwelling house. :roll: :roll:

9. Depends if I can be arrsed to fill it in this time.

10. personally I don't think it is any business of the Government or anyone else what my religion or sexual orientation is. How does that help, would it help if they new how many times I had sex in a week or how often I ate a tin of beans.

They are totally pointless questions in my view and as far as I am concerned private and that is the way they will remain.

11. What do they do with this shit for 100 years anyway ? If someone wants to know where I live, look me up in the bloody 'phonebook.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I er ahem knew someone who chucked theirs in the bin, the dreaded mongs came a calling and were demanding their census, this "Friend" of mine asked them why if it didnt have a registered envelope/recorded delivery werent they asking the post office!
    He only chucked it because his wife got the hump when he ticked every box out of spite. Note to friend, dont do census if drunk!

13. sheer genius by your ' friend ' Ugly.

Must remember to encourage all my 'friends' to do the same

14. The Government collects the underlying data for immediate use. The forms are scanned, the data is collected and aggregated. The completed forms are then stashed away for 100 years in the National Archives, although I suspect that they will be microfilmed and the paperwork will be destroyed.

The aggregated data is used for planning by the Health Service, education authorities, town planners etc. The figures are also used to allocate your taxes to various parts of the country depending on the distribution of the population. If you are not recorded as living in the county of Blankshire, that county will not receive any money to pay for various services.

I understand that it is a criminal offence to avoid the census if you are in the country and to tell lies on it; if you don't want to be recorded, go abroad for the duration!

Litotes

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Rings of:...."you are not obliged to say anything, but anything you do say will be taken down, twisted, manipulated, and generally used to directly or indirectly screw you in the short, medium and long term"...... :wink: