2010 UK/US Exchange extended to 22 Jan 2010

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OIC_UK/US_Exchange, Dec 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The slowdown in the training tempo and MTD budget uncertainty caused by the recent PR09 in-year savings measures has meant that some TA soldiers have not been able to get their applications approved by their CoC. This means that enough places remain up for grabs to warrant extending the deadline to

22 Jan 2010.

Details on the Exchange website (requires ArmyNET account).

Some of you, like redfibee, may be considered indispensible for next year's camp. Unfortunately, I can't do much about that but if your CO's reluctance is simply a case of MTD budgeting, I may be able to answer any questions that they may have. If they're undecided, ask them to email me at SO2ResD@armymail.mod.uk.

In summary, you have until 22 Jan 2010 to apply for 2 weeks of training with the US National Guard (paid) during the summer of 2010 with the option of delaying your return flight for a cultural excursion (unpaid).

In your own time, go on.
  2. Is this open to PSI as well????????????? Im guessing not but its good to be necky
  3. msr

msr LE

5. The following personnel are not eligible to take part in the exchange:

a. Regular Army. All Regular Army personnel, including permanent staff instructors serving with TA units, are ineligible because similar exchange opportunities for Regular personnel already exist.
    b. NRPS. All personnel serving on NRPS contracts are ineligible because their theatre of service is specifically limited to the UK.
    c. FTRS. All personnel serving on FTRS contracts are ineligible because they are legally Regular Army personnel for the duration of the contract.
  4. Bugger but Im sure my lads would jump at the chance, will put the word around
  5. MSI64,

Sadly not, for the reasons correctly identified by msr.

I didn't specify PSIs because I discovered last year that a surprising number are in fact TA and therefore eligible.

Am I correct in assuming from your last remark that you knew nothing about this Exchange until today?
    Could you please PM me; I'd be interested to know where you are.
  6. A small but important admin point.

Commander Regional Forces and the Adjutant General combined their organisations today to form the new Personnel & Support Command.

This change of title brings with it the inevitable email changes therefore units are reminded that the address for applications is now:

Applications sent to the address previously published will either bounce back or disappear.
  7. I'd jump at the chance to go again, as would the other four who tagged along, however 'chancing our arm' is a phrase that springs to mind.
  8. msr

msr LE

9. Officially not - but if it brings you over your (the limit where Regt has to apply to Bde) allowed MTD limit then good luck.

But then again:

Civil servants in government departments have been paid a total of £130 million in bonus payments over the last year, new figures show.

So we could be lucky................................ha...........ha.
  10. If the Exchange is affected by any savings measures, I will announce it both here and on the website.

The article is dealing with the planned (as opposed to seat-of-the-pants in-year) savings measures for 2010. Whilst it is true that unit-level OTXs are being cut, they are vastly more expensive to run than the individual Exchange and—critically—involve the use of RAF AT. In the eyes of the resource allocators, this makes them low-hanging fruit.

Conversely, the MTD 'cost' of the UK/USNG exercise is the same as a normal camp plus a one-day briefing (which could be attended on a C1 basis anyway). Thus, if they cut the UK/US Exchange for financial reasons, it will be a good combat indicator that we really are in trouble.

The deadline is the 22nd January so carry on with your applications.
  11. Bold - not true!!

12. Thanks paywog. Direction received from Glasgow is to the contrary. I'm willing to be corrected but I'm not sure if it would make a great deal of difference to the selection outcome though.
  13. Bump.

One week left to run, folks.
  14. msr

msr LE

You can't bump a sticky ;)
  15. Thanks msr, but you can if your target is the 'Top 50' page which a lot of arrsers use as a hub.

But thanks for the 'bump' anyway.

Is your application sorted?