[2009 RBL Lot 10] - Squaddie: A Soldiers Story (Copy 1)

Most ARRSE regulars will be aware that we run an annual charity auction to raise funds for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal. Over the years this has gone from strength to strength and last year we managed to raise over £6000 pounds which is an incredible testimony to the generosity of you, our members. I'm sure everyone is aware of the excellent work that they do but, if not, then please have a look at the Royal British Legion website.

This auction is for a copy of Squaddie: A Soldier's Story very kindly donated by the author, Steve McLaughlin. It has been the subject of some pretty favourable reviews on the site so am sure it will be a cracking read.

From the harsh realities of basic training to post-war chaos in Iraq and knife-edge tension in Northern Ireland, "Squaddie" takes us to a place not advertised in army recruitment brochures. It exposes the grim reality of everyday soldiering for the 'grunts on the ground'. After the tragic death of his brother, and in the dark days following 9/11, McLaughlin felt compelled to fulfil his lifelong ambition to serve in the army. He followed his late brother into the elite Royal Green Jackets and passed the arduous Combat Infantryman's Course at the age of 31. Thereafter, McLaughlin found himself submerged in a world of casual violence. Squaddie is a snapshot of infantry soldiering in the twenty-first century. It takes us into the heart of an ancient institution that is struggling to retain its tough traditions in a rapidly changing world. All of the fears and anxieties that the modern soldier carries as his burden are laid bare, as well as the occasional joys and triumphs that can make him feel like he is doing the best job in the world. This is an account of army life by someone who has been there and done it.

Please note that the auction will start on 1 Nov and run until 1100 on 11 Nov.

Click here for auction rules.

If you have an item that you wish to donate then please Contact Us

start at £5..

Unfortunately none of those numbers come through on the email we get from BMyCharity! Can you let me know your email address and real address so I can get the book sent out pse?