2006 Presidential State of the Union Address Verbatim

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Feb 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1. "Leadership" is a good thing.

2. Tyranny is a bad thing so we will eliminate it.

3. Freedom is a good thing.

4. Afghanistan and Iraq are now free and democratic.

5. Islam is a "noble faith" but "radical Islam" inspires men to hatred of freedom.

6. America must fight terrorists all around the world in order to preserve tranquility at home.

7. The occupation of Iraq is going quite well and Iraqis are greatly benefiting from it.

8. It's so successful that, at some unspecified point in the future, we should be able to withdraw US forces from Iraq. However the schedule will be fixed by the military, not by civilian officials.

9. Our soldiers are fine people.

10. Egypt is now a multi-party democracy.

11. Now that Hamas has won the election, it must do as I say: recognize Israel and disarm.

12. Saudi Arabia has taken the "first steps" toward "reform."

13. Iran is a nation "held hostage" by a clerical dictatorship.

14. Iran stirs up trouble in Palestine and Lebanon.

15. The Iranian government is defying the world with its nuclear ambitions - and the nations of the world must not permit the Iranian regime to gain nuclear weapons.

16. The USA must eliminate infectious disease, organized crime, the narcotics racket, and slavery all around the world.

17. US security and counter-intelligence officials: good folks.

18. If only we'd had more wiretapping, the destruction of the World Trade Center would have been averted.

19. I have "constitutional authority" to tape peoples' phones.

20. (implied) I'm only tapping bad peoples' phones.

21. I've told "appropriate members of Congress what I'm up to so it's OK.

22. The US economy is doing fine.

23. But the economy could be damaged if people who want to concentrate more political power in Washington get their way.

24. (implied) I'm cutting federal spending.

25. Federal entitlements liabilities will confront future administrations with the choice of draconian tax increases or drastic curtailment of benefits. (He got that part right.)

26. We need to appoint a federal commission to fix that problem.

27. Illegal immigration, immigrants lowering domestic wages: some self-contradictory circumlocution calculated to make everyone think he's on their side.

28. We've got to eliminate medical malpractice litigation so that folks can afford medical treatment.

29. America is "addicted" to foreign oil but we can fix that with "technology."

30. We need to start building cars powered by hydrogen, alcohol, or electric batteries.

31. Tax credits for industrial research and development.

32. Crime, welfare dependency, abortion, and illegitimacy rates are all subsiding.

33. Americans are upset by courts that promote homosexual marriage.

34. I've picked "superb" Supreme Court candidates.

35. Plenty of dough for New Orleans.

36. More federal funds for AIDS.

37. Martin Luther King: great guy.

2. NWD , I hope you have a good royalties lawyer , as news agencies around the world are going to plagarise that all to hell.

3. Excellent NWD. I notice George STILL cannot pronounce "nuclear" properly*. What a chimp.

*"nookiller" or something like it.

4. Satire alert: The following excerpt is fictitious.

From the SOU address he didn't give:

In this decisive year, you and I will make choices that determine both the future and the character of our country. We will choose to act confidently in bombing the ____ out of small depraved countries -- or retreat from our duties in the hope of an easier life. We will choose to build our prosperity by taking over the world economically -- or shut ourselves off from trade and opportunity. In a complex and challenging time, the road of isolationism and protectionism may seem broad and inviting -- yet it ends in danger and decline. The only way to protect our people ... the only way to secure the peace ... the only way to control our destiny is by bombing the ____ out of small depraved countries -- so the United States of America will continue to bomb the ____ out of small depraved countries.

"Bush's REAL State of the Union Part I"
    http://lawyersgarden.blogspot.com/2006/02/bushs-real-state-of-union-part-i.html

5. Administration backs off Bush's vow to reduce Mideast oil imports
    By Kevin G. Hall
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - One day after President Bush vowed to reduce America's dependence on Middle East oil by cutting imports from there 75 percent by 2025, his energy secretary and national economic adviser said Wednesday that the president didn't mean it literally.

http://www.dailykos.com/

6. I know this is just wishful thinking, but when the Depilated Simian sits there trying to convey "gravitas" (and failing miserably), wouldn't it be more honest for him to give a breezy wave to the cameras and say: "Hi, suckers!"?

MsG

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

NWD - thanks for the link and the way kewl precis - good job!

( boring git that I am, I will still read the Incumbent's stirring words for myself when I get a chance)

How did the 'State of the Union' drinking game go ? :lol:

8. Paul Craig Roberts, former Reagan administration Treasury undersecretary, doesn't agree with W's relentlessly optimistic assessment of the US economy:

Americans are constantly reassured that America is the leader in advanced technology and intellectual property and doesn't need jobs making clothes or even semiconductors....During Bush's presidency, the US has lost its trade surplus in manufactured Advanced Technology Products (ATP). The US trade deficit in ATP now exceeds the US surplus in Intellectual Property licenses and fees. The US no longer earns enough from high tech to cover any part of its import bill for oil, autos, or clothing.

This is an astonishing development. The US "superpower" is dependent on China for advanced technology products and is dependent on Asia to finance its massive deficits and foreign wars. In view of the rapid collapse of US economic potential, my prediction in January 2004 that the US would be a third world economy in 20 years was optimistic. Another five years like the last, and little will be left. America's capacity to export manufactured goods has been so reduced that some economists say that there is no exchange rate at which the US can balance its trade.

"The True State of the Union: More Deception from the Bush White House" 1 February 2006
    http://www.counterpunch.org/roberts02012006.html