• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

2000 words on this bad boy?

Yes. See the QOY for an example of a unit that was in danger of being left behind revamp itself to stay current.

Maybe convert some light gun units to Eye's in the Sky?

Yes. See the QOY for an example of a unit that was in danger of being left behind revamp itself to stay current.

Maybe convert some light gun units to Eye's in the Sky?
They must be doing ok as there were about 15 or 20 mobilised at chilwell for scimitar drivers and gunners.

The RA TA has already undergone transformation to make it more usable, hence the swap from HVM to Lt Gun in 2 of the Regiments a few years back. Is there more room to change ? Yes of course there is and if rumours (being rumours) are true then there will be more changes afoot.

Saying swap Lt Gun to UAV is a fine idea in principle, but pointless if not backed up with equipment and support, obviously you can change both disciplines in that statement to suit (AD to UAV, Lt Gun to WLR, MLRS to FST etc) if of course that is main vacuum in op requirements, what is needed , and I assume has already been undertaken for the review (he hopes) where the shortfall was.

The one area I pray is being addressed is the ludicrous position we are in in having a 2 tiered comms structure, the lack of Bowman impacts both operational viability of a Gunner(v) as comms is a trade requirement to finish Phase 2 training and advancement of the individual soldier. I currently can't progress my Gunners as there is no relevant courses for them beyond Comms RA as all the other courses don't have Clansman equivalents.

Mabey, but I was on the coach with about 5 of them to germany and the QDG have taken them on for the scimitar and the rest when to QRH as infantry attachmets for compoud clearance

The one area I pray is being addressed is the ludicrous position we are in in having a 2 tiered comms structure, the lack of Bowman impacts both operational viability of a Gunner(v) as comms is a trade requirement to finish Phase 2 training and advancement of the individual soldier.
Borrow off RSigs or ask them to train with you? My old Sqn were co-located with 269 and it narked me we had Ptarmigan SCRA(C) and limited SCRA(T) - and the RArty had SCRA(T) and extra bits but no network.

Same is happening now, Sigs going around with a decent amount of BOWMAN but just doing radio checks (I don't mean CLANSMAN equivalents - they have the data elements lying dormant in their trucks)

It's good to talk?

Understand what you are saying polar, but the beg, borrow and steal policy is not the way ahead and still doesn't help the course structure as TDTRA won't budge till units are equipped

Heaven forbid that when we get the rest of the data bits that we'll actually get trained to use it!

Borrow off RSigs or ask them to train with you? My old Sqn were co-located with 269 and it narked me we had Ptarmigan SCRA(C) and limited SCRA(T) - and the RArty had SCRA(T) and extra bits but no network.

Same is happening now, Sigs going around with a decent amount of BOWMAN but just doing radio checks (I don't mean CLANSMAN equivalents - they have the data elements lying dormant in their trucks)

It's good to talk?

Yeah I can guess what that was like. Was mortar section commander in the late 90's and we relied so much on information management & communication to do our job - MFDC, Clansman, etc. So much so then that removing parts of it made us an ineffective command team - how do you monitor the battle pic when you can't see it?

Yes? Er No? Um Not sure?

You could start by getting HAC to take its soldiers through a recruit course just like the rest of the TA ie Malta Bks then Pirbright.

Cardinal

It's bit unfair to single out the RA ... and it's a bit unfair to single out the TA. I don't think there's a single part of the Army that is organised solely to meet the threat - well, the threat facing the UK that is. The main threat seemingly perceived by the Regular Army is losing PIDs as fewer PIDs means less of a career, fewer CO and RSM slots and so on. In my own part of the world I still don't see what slicing the old 3 MI in half and creating two smaller Bns has achieved - well, apart from another CO slot, RSM slot and so on. It's done nothing at Coy level which is where, frankly the work gets done.

The need for us to change is clear, but until every cap badge in existence stops fighting to the death over parochial issues I don't see much useful change happening. The bitchfight over who owns what kit alluded to in this thread illustrates the point neatly - ownership gets more effort expended on it than on making it work, training the users and netting it into the larger ISTAR world. Now I know that is happening but how much more could have been done if that was the main effort ?

Latest Threads