200 UK troops deploy to support flood relief

Is Corbyn going to do his usual disaster site visit where he wanders around hugging people, saying ‘there there’, blaming Tory cuts, promising an inquiry then pisses off having helped the victims to the sum of SFA?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
72456938_2740501216030274_5730164960516898816_o.jpg

Again governed by an EU directive, the silt brought up has to be viewed as waste, and dealt with accordingly, not as a natural product, ferking madness.
Seems not quite true, though, that dredgings can only be treated as waste.

Arkanstigger

War Hero
Again governed by an EU directive, the silt brought up has to be viewed as waste, and dealt with accordingly, not as a natural product, ferking madness.
Alternatively some jobsworth at the EA or local authority has blamed the EU knowing it' s a great way to deflect blame.

EU directives tend to be wooly enough to be interpreted very broadly, as they need to be adopted into UK, Greek, Wherever legislation. Consequently "The EU have banned dredging rivers" usually means someone in the Cabinet Office has read a vague bit of guidance about protecting spawning grounds and though "Hmmm. I can cut the dredging budget for the EA massively here with a bit of weasel wording".

Edit. Your example is an interesting one, as our local authority has said the sand and detrius that covers the road near me every winter can' t be removed as waste because of 'the EU', so has to be swept into a big pile on the beach next to the road, ready for the next high tide.

Last edited:
Alternatively some jobsworth at the EA or local authority has blamed the EU knowing it' s a great way to deflect blame.

EU directives tend to be wooly enough to be interpreted very broadly, as they need to be adopted into UK, Greek, Wherever legislation. Consequently "The EU have banned dredging rivers" usually means someone in the Cabinet Office has read a vague bit of guidance about protecting spawning grounds and though "Hmmm. I can cut the dredging budget for the EA massively here with a but if weasel wording".

Edit. Your example is an interesting one, as our local authority has said the sand and detrius that covers the road near me every winter can' t be removed as waste because of 'the EU', so has to be swept into a big pile on the beach next to the road, ready for the next high tide.
My favourite is beached dead whales which AIUI have to be landfilled rather than towed offshore and allowed (or assisted) to "fall".

My favourite is beached dead whales which AIUI have to be landfilled rather than towed offshore and allowed (or assisted) to "fall".
The tendency to come ashore again down the coast might have something to do with it. It's not easy to sew a whale into a hammock with a cannonball at its foot.

EU directives tend to be wooly enough to be interpreted very broadly, as they need to be adopted into UK, Greek, Wherever legislation. Consequently "The EU have banned dredging rivers" usually means someone in the Cabinet Office has read a vague bit of guidance about protecting spawning grounds and though "Hmmm. I can cut the dredging budget for the EA massively here with a bit of weasel wording".

bit like my council....no gully sweeping on the dual carriageways, so now flooding as all silted up drains with rubbish and left over salt gravel. ’it has to be treated as toxic waste under EU directive as it’s contaminated with oil’..... tw@ts

Arkanstigger

War Hero
bit like my council....no gully sweeping on the dual carriageways, so now flooding as all silted up drains with rubbish and left over salt gravel. ’it has to be treated as toxic waste under EU directive as it’s contaminated with oil’..... tw@ts
Standard response. If you're getting it in the neck from the public, you either use “health and safety” or “the EU” as the reason for not doing something.

The most aggressive, angry, red-faced, frothing complainer will immediarely lose all interest in you and start ranting about “red tape”, “elf n safety” and “Brussels” at the nearest flock of seagulls.

reminds me of a letter I read in a local paper a few years ago, essentially as follows:

“Dear sir

My house has flooded three times in the past ten years. We are now unable to Insure the property, and despite numerous approaches the environment agency have done nothing to build up defences to prevent this happening, We are now trapped in a property we cannot sell, and cannot insure. If we had known of the risk of flooding in advance, we would never have bought the house. The government must make this information a compulsory part of house search information.

yours faithfully

Dr C Atkins,
No 6, The Watermeadows, Lambley“

if only there was something about the address that could have alerted them to the risk of flooding?
If this wasn’t part of a house search already then you should checking the competence of your solicitor more carefully.

Standard response. If you're getting it in the neck from the public, you either use “health and safety” or “the EU” as the reason for not doing something.

The most aggressive, angry, red-faced, frothing complainer will immediarely lose all interest in you and start ranting about “red tape”, “elf n safety” and “Brussels” at the nearest flock of seagulls.
All highway run off is contaminated so ’health and safety’ is simply an excuse, not the reason.

offog

LE
reminds me of a letter I read in a local paper a few years ago, essentially as follows:

“Dear sir

My house has flooded three times in the past ten years. We are now unable to Insure the property, and despite numerous approaches the environment agency have done nothing to build up defences to prevent this happening, We are now trapped in a property we cannot sell, and cannot insure. If we had known of the risk of flooding in advance, we would never have bought the house. The government must make this information a compulsory part of house search information.

yours faithfully

Dr C Atkins,

if only there was something about the address that could have alerted them to the risk of flooding?
On the banks of the Humber there was a hotel (now under new management) called the Reeds hotel. It was on Far Ings road and Gravel Pit Road lead onto it down a very steep hill. Around the hotel are a number of man made lakes due to the amount of clay that was dug up to make roof tiles. In 13/14 the Humber burst its banks and flooded the area.

is an old word of Norse origin referring to water meadows and marshes,[1] including those that were part of the Humber flood plain.

The term appears in place names in Yorkshire (such as Fairburn Ings RSPB reserve, Clifton Ings in York, Derwent Ings, Sutton Ings, Acaster South Ings, and Wetherby Ings), as well as in Cumbria,[2] and in Lincolnshire.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ings#cite_note-3

Many people were taken by surprise by this flooding. If you live in the old Viking areas of the country and Ings is in the name you may have a problem.

offog

LE
Jeremy said if it had been Surrey the troops would be helping soon, of course Jerry as more populated.
What was the local MP doing apart from fcuk all it seems, did you forget local MP is er Labour?

Its grim up North, sure is and lots of open land that can only soak up so much water.
After that you get flooding with water leaching off the now soaked fields.

Built up areas of Surrey lots of tarmac and not many rivers and fields.
Look at fields near The River Wey & The, Mole both tributaries of the Thames, both close to being breached.

But probably better flood defenses would help, but good with hindsight.
Why did the Somerset Levels get badly effected a few years ago?

A mixture of poor water management, lack of funding over the last 20 years from both Labour & Tories and unusual weather patterns with a lot of water falling in a small time and local water infrastructure could not cope.
Oh what short memory JC has.

But it was good to see 1000s of troops deployed to save all those rich peoples homes along the Thames. Sarcasm just in case you weren't sure.

The Thames at Sunbury, Staines and Running Mead would regularly flood in my younger days.

offog

LE
Seems not quite true, though, that dredgings can only be treated as waste.
Living by the Trent I see all the farmers tidying up the banks of the drains and putting it on the banks to make them higher by an inch or two.

Living by the Trent I see all the farmers tidying up the banks of the drains and putting it on the banks to make them higher by an inch or two.
Farmers.
Not the bleeding EA.

Years ago, when the Thames was run by The Thames Conservancy, the river was dredged constantly. Suddenly, when Mr Major gave river management to the EA, the river became "self dredging". Overnight.

After the Somerset levels fiasco (and a visit from PoW, who gave a very sarcastic answer to the question " have the EA done enough to maintain the drainage system") the EA top dog was taken outside and shot. Suddenly, again, the levels were covered with JCB's doing their thing.

Yet, here we are, still being told that dredging is not the answer. @offog 's link even says that dredging will resume. It has not.

Farmers.
Not the bleeding EA.

Years ago, when the Thames was run by The Thames Conservancy, the river was dredged constantly. Suddenly, when Mr Major gave river management to the EA, the river became "self dredging". Overnight.

After the Somerset levels fiasco (and a visit from PoW, who gave a very sarcastic answer to the question " have the EA done enough to maintain the drainage system") the EA top dog was taken outside and shot. Suddenly, again, the levels were covered with JCB's doing their thing.

Yet, here we are, still being told that dredging is not the answer. @offog 's link even says that dredging will resume. It has not.
Yes. But the role of EU directives in this is being exaggerated, not least because they don’t really prohibit dredging.

The_Poltroon

Clanker
I know the old MACC or whatever its called these days is a good thing and I'm not unsympathetic to anyone who has been affected by the flooding but if I was still a Squaddie and got jiffed to go and bail out someones front room with a bucket I'd be a bit miffed

I had to go and remove a selection of trees and other detritus from various cars and outbuildings when that hurricane hit the south coast back in 1987 when I was based at Chichester.

Spoiled my weekends leave that did.

Yokel

LE
I am surprised PAYD contractors do not get involved. Yum Yum Yum! Remember the 2001 Foot and Mouth outbreak was traced to unconsumed slop being turned in Pigswill.

Farmers.
Not the bleeding EA.

I cannot recall the Prince of Wales saying anything like that. Was he just pointing out that man made systems need to be maintained - by man!

“Dear sir

yours faithfully

Dr C Atkins,

One of the standard searches that should be undertaken in conveyancing due diligence is an environmental search which contains a section on flood risk.

If the writer had used a decent firm this should have been in the report on title. If the buyer doesn't read said report their problem unfortunately. If the said writer just used a cheap crap firm without oroper due diligence, also their problem. If the law firm didn't advise properly the law firm's problem.

There is absolutely no property in England and Wales (and presumably Scotland and NI) that cannot be bought without full disclosure of the threat of flooding. It's up to a buyer to ensure the correct due diligence is undertaken.

Latest Threads