200 UK troops deploy to support flood relief

itchy300

Old-Salt
Some horrible woman screeching on sky news that 'we've had no help' etc...

No help except the 10s of millions of pounds spent on flood defences post 2007 floods.

I could not believe how rude people were to the PM, they should be banished

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

No help except the 10s of millions of pounds spent on flood defences post 2007 floods.

**** 'em, they chose to live in an area prone to flooding!

Maybe she should be shouting at Doncaster Council (Labour), or better still their local M.P.,Rosie Winterton (Labour)!

Someone,somewhere has approved all the new builds I'm seeing on TV, even the name 'Fishlake' should be a clue.

It's all very well building new houses but, not on flood plains/meadows or, reclaimed bogs and wetlands.

Whatever happened to 'Common Sense'?

Offa

War Hero
Sky News reporter highly critical that BoJo visit to floods is a 'photo opportunity'. And implied the sole purpose was to visit the troops. Only a photo opportunity because the vultures of the media make it so. Had he visited under secrecy, what then? Not once has any reporter been critical of the fact that no dredging of rivers currently taking place because of EU directives. Interview with BoJo held under extremely noisy conditions (chopper?) unable to hear his responses - epitome of crap reporting.

When offered assistance of any kinds by the PM, the local replied very politely no thank you.
Corbyn was quick to respond. After the event...
Anyone would think the Tories had been doing a rain dance ffs...
Thought it was strange nobody mentioned the local council but then a community council bloke appeared and praised the response from fire brigades and services from various counties who had travelled in to help.

**** 'em, they chose to live in an area prone to flooding!
reminds me of a letter I read in a local paper a few years ago, essentially as follows:

“Dear sir

My house has flooded three times in the past ten years. We are now unable to Insure the property, and despite numerous approaches the environment agency have done nothing to build up defences to prevent this happening, We are now trapped in a property we cannot sell, and cannot insure. If we had known of the risk of flooding in advance, we would never have bought the house. The government must make this information a compulsory part of house search information.

yours faithfully

Dr C Atkins,
No 6, The Watermeadows, Lambley“

if only there was something about the address that could have alerted them to the risk of flooding?

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
They’ve got webbed hands and feet in Yarkshire anyway, they should be bloody grateful they’ve got the chance to put them to good use.

Truxx

LE

I bet Sky were at pains to point out that she happens to a Labour councillor.

No?

How strange.

Truxx

LE
reminds me of a letter I read in a local paper a few years ago, essentially as follows:

“Dear sir

My house has flooded three times in the past ten years. We are now unable to Insure the property, and despite numerous approaches the environment agency have done nothing to build up defences to prevent this happening, We are now trapped in a property we cannot sell, and cannot insure. If we had known of the risk of flooding in advance, we would never have bought the house. The government must make this information a compulsory part of house search information.

yours faithfully

Dr C Atkins,

if only there was something about the address that could have alerted them to the risk of flooding?
I keep chuckling about all the reports coming from the town of "Fishlake".

Again, clue in the name.

ETA beaten to it by @RoofRat

itchy300

Old-Salt
I always wonder what have they done to help themselves?

Where my old man lives you maintain dyke down the bottom of the garden, all the ventilation for the house is self sealing, automatic pumps in the space below the floor, the sockets are higher on the wall and you keep a decent stock of non perishable food and fire wood.

People seem to be loosing their independence and relying more on outside help/organisations.

I always wonder what have they done to help themselves?

Where my old man lives you maintain dyke down the bottom of the garden, all the ventilation for the house is self sealing, automatic pumps in the space below the floor, the sockets are higher on the wall and you keep a decent stock of non perishable food and fire wood.

People seem to be loosing their independence and relying more on outside help/organisations.
I'll have to look it up for the full details but I believe the relevant US Federal authorities have begun aiding communities in repeatedly flooded areas to move elsewhere rather than spring for rebuild/remediation/whatever.

Fake Sheikh

On ROPS
On ROPs
Jeremy said if it had been Surrey the troops would be helping soon, of course Jerry as more populated.
What was the local MP doing apart from fcuk all it seems, did you forget local MP is er Labour?

Its grim up North, sure is and lots of open land that can only soak up so much water.
After that you get flooding with water leaching off the now soaked fields.

Built up areas of Surrey lots of tarmac and not many rivers and fields.
Look at fields near The River Wey & The, Mole both tributaries of the Thames, both close to being breached.

But probably better flood defenses would help, but good with hindsight.
Why did the Somerset Levels get badly effected a few years ago?

A mixture of poor water management, lack of funding over the last 20 years from both Labour & Tories and unusual weather patterns with a lot of water falling in a small time and local water infrastructure could not cope.

Offa

War Hero
Where have you got this from?

ETA Genuine question, do you know which directive?
COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 92 /43 /EEC of 21 May 1992 on the conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora. The interpretation of this directive, combined with the 2006 Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act, has reduced any requirement by the Environment Agency to sustain or maintain dredging and waterway maintenance. At a simple level, (and perhaps more appropriate for the 'You know you are getting old' thread) hedging and ditching used to be a rural skill, tested by keen competitions in agricultural societies, which maintained drainage on farmland and beyond. Very little maintenance ditching occurs now, and hedges are rarely layered but flayed, the debris filling and blocking former ditches. Even if the drainage is maintained thus at local level, unless the streams and rivers the water flows into are dredged to prevent silting up, there will be floods. That is just the rural state - urban flooding has other factors, including too much concrete and building on flood vulnerable sites. (The River Severn figured big in my early life).

chimera

LE

“Dear sir

yours faithfully

Dr C Atkins,

Dear Dr Atkins.

How about looking at this:

Perhaps one of the inevitable & usual midsets of ......" I had no contents insurance you know....whataboutery poor ME?"
Leading you to a large pit to join your fellow morons where the Army...ever helpful......awaits with a chain gun would be a good start.