• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

200 missing weapons!

More than 200 weapons belonging to the British military have been lost or stolen during the past nine years. Some of the missing weapons are antique or obsolete, but more than half are handguns or assault rifles.

Between 1997 and 2005, the Army has had 36 SA80 rifles go missing. Only 10 have been recovered. The figure for handguns is higher, with 39 lost and seven accounted for.

During my service (76-92) I seem to remember weapons/armoury security being very tight to say the least and although I don't think it would have been Impossible to steal a weapon I do think it would have been at least very difficult for the missing weapon or thief to stay undetected for more than a few hours, things have obviously changed.

Rickshaw. said:
things have obviously changed.
Yes what it is is that the SA80 rifle is a lot smaller than the SLR hence easy to conceal so a lot more go missing, there is also a ready market of buyers via car boot sales/ E bay to get rid of said weapons.

Hope this answers your question and sorry for the lowering of standards since you left.

P.S was you an armourer and did you where one of them brown "jobsworth" type coats with your rank sewn on?

It's a bit worrying really, isn't it?

Simple answer: stop issuing PPWs to femal naval officers who leave them in the toilets in Sainsburys the minute they get off-base!

I take it you mean this article:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article357145.ece

200 Army guns go missing
PA
Published: 11 April 2006
More than 200 weapons belonging to the British military have been lost or stolen since 1997, it emerged today.

Tory MP Stephen Crabb urged the Government to "put its house in order", fearing the guns could end up being used by criminals.

The figure emerged as Lance Corporal James Piotrowski, from Birmingham, was jailed by a military court for handling a stolen assault rifle.

Mr Crabb, MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Heaven forbid that a British Army firearm goes missing and ends up being used in an armed assault, armed robbery, or even murder.

"This is a Government that has put a great deal of emphasis on gun control. It basically shut down handgun competitions in this country in the wake of Dunblane.

"You would expect the Government to put its own house in order and ensure that its own weapons under the care of the Ministry of Defence are properly looked after."

Dr Peter Squires, a criminologist at Brighton University, told the programme that, with shotguns stolen from farms or converted or reactivated weapons, they could cause a "significant problem".

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said 167 weapons had been recovered since 1997 although there were no guarantees all of them were from the 200 that had gone missing.

She added: "Even one weapon going missing is serious and the armed forces would take it very seriously.

"But if you think about the number of weapons used in use on a daily basis, 200 is actually a tiny proportion.

"All of our personnel are given clear direction that weapons should never be left unattended or in the care of unauthorised people.

"When not in use they are always kept in secure stores. Only those who have a direct need are permitted access, and they are subject to security vetting."

Any loss is reported to civilian police and subject to a full investigation and a board of inquiry, the spokeswoman added.

It was understood that 30 of the weapons that went missing were antique rifles taken from the walls of officers messes while others would have included weapons accidentally dropped overboard from naval vessels into deep sea.

More than 200 weapons belonging to the British military have been lost or stolen since 1997, it emerged today.

Tory MP Stephen Crabb urged the Government to "put its house in order", fearing the guns could end up being used by criminals.

The figure emerged as Lance Corporal James Piotrowski, from Birmingham, was jailed by a military court for handling a stolen assault rifle.

Mr Crabb, MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Heaven forbid that a British Army firearm goes missing and ends up being used in an armed assault, armed robbery, or even murder.

"This is a Government that has put a great deal of emphasis on gun control. It basically shut down handgun competitions in this country in the wake of Dunblane.

"You would expect the Government to put its own house in order and ensure that its own weapons under the care of the Ministry of Defence are properly looked after."

Dr Peter Squires, a criminologist at Brighton University, told the programme that, with shotguns stolen from farms or converted or reactivated weapons, they could cause a "significant problem".
A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said 167 weapons had been recovered since 1997 although there were no guarantees all of them were from the 200 that had gone missing.

She added: "Even one weapon going missing is serious and the armed forces would take it very seriously.

"But if you think about the number of weapons used in use on a daily basis, 200 is actually a tiny proportion.

"All of our personnel are given clear direction that weapons should never be left unattended or in the care of unauthorised people.

"When not in use they are always kept in secure stores. Only those who have a direct need are permitted access, and they are subject to security vetting."

Any loss is reported to civilian police and subject to a full investigation and a board of inquiry, the spokeswoman added.

It was understood that 30 of the weapons that went missing were antique rifles taken from the walls of officers messes while others would have included weapons accidentally dropped overboard from naval vessels into deep sea.
Reasons for weapons going missing are numerous! I remember many being lost on exsersize by being put down in the dark! Or hanging on the back of a waggon and falling off! How many current weapons are in fact stolen in the first place, and not just dropped overboard or left in a toilet? The 'finder' of such weapons does not always hand it in.....

ytomk said:

Simple answer: stop issuing PPWs to femal naval officers who leave them in the toilets in Sainsburys the minute they get off-base!
She was army, if you don't have the facts then shut the fcuk up.

doghandler said:
ytomk said:

I stand corrected.

doghandler said:
ytomk said:

FFS, youve been on this site 5 minutes, at least familiarise yourself before flaming people with your first post.

You don't lose one you swap one as somebody did on an exercise I was involved in. Some swapped personal kit but this person didn't have anything to swap so swapped an SLR. Got a nice shiny US model in return but stuck out like a spare prick at a wedding and was then told the error of his ways but not before the shite hit the fan in lorryload sized lumps.

There was a story on here a while ago about a training exersize on the plain, where when diging a trench they came across a Gimpy that had been 'lost' for over 10 years. They had filled in the trench and did not think of digging it back up to take a look!

rockhoppercrab said:
Just mention weapons or even just parts and ebay are all over you like a rash, so there is no ready market there. Anyone got an L1A1 for sale?

Theres a few for sale on here. http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/class2.php?... Scroll about half way down. Theres also the odd SA80 on there. Including an A2 !!!! WTF walts can get them & theres still units out there who have,nt !!! I seriously concidered to get an L1A1 for my study wall which led me to this site. I have NO walt asperations whatsoever !!!!! :roll:

Regards LT.

LoneTree said:
rockhoppercrab said:
Just mention weapons or even just parts and ebay are all over you like a rash, so there is no ready market there. Anyone got an L1A1 for sale?

Theres a few for sale on here. http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/class2.php?... Scroll about half way down. Theres also the odd SA80 on there. Including an A2 !!!! WTF walts can get them & theres still units out there who have,nt !!! I seriously concidered to get an L1A1 for my study wall which led me to this site. I have NO walt asperations whatsoever !!!!! :roll:

Regards LT.
Is it just me that can't see anything expect for some Czech half-tracks on that site?

Thanks LoneTree a pure seam of lurverly walty items, unfortunately i think i will have to frequent the seedier bars of the welsh equivalent of Liverpool (Barry) to find one that goes bang more than once. Not that i condone the illegal posession of firearms but the way this country is going its either that or emigrate.

Thanks.

Aren't those the Enfield prototypes?
I seem to remember a simliar site that was selling the first few (serial numbers like 12 and 15) plus they look faaaaarrrrr to shiny to have been in use with the Army...

ytomk said:
Thanks.

Aren't those the Enfield prototypes?
I seem to remember a simliar site that was selling the first few (serial numbers like 12 and 15) plus they look faaaaarrrrr to shiny to have been in use with the Army...
Probally. I do remember following a link off here to some bloke flogging them. He also had a load of LSW as well. L1A1,s are like fcuking hens teeth belive it or not !!! The ones I did find were upwards of £500 which to me (aw well the Mrs) was a lot of dosh for a new spec deact. Which basicly means a lump of welded up metal which don,t strip down or anything. I was sooo looking forward in reanacting Ex Flying Falcon circa 1987 in my study :roll:

Regards LT.

LoneTree said:
Scroll about half way down. Theres also the odd SA80 on there. Including an A2 !!!! WTF walts can get them & theres still units out there who have,nt !!! I seriously concidered to get an L1A1 for my study wall which led me to this site. I have NO walt asperations whatsoever !!!!! :roll:

Regards LT.
Had to read it twice, but it seems to be an A1 with a few 'new bits' New Spec Deactivated means its a lump of metal!

British Army SA 80

Deactivated current spec. They come with SUSAT and SA80 A2 profile (I.E. A2 cocking handle and new style forgrip) £1,250.00. They also come with Sling, BFA (Blank firing attachment) Bayonet complete and with PLCE scabbard,and 2 magazines with inert rounds. These are very clean deactivated weapons.
07967 966570
Still makes you wonder where they dig them up from? Also note the words "They also come with"

Roger, Mike. I can see it now. I must stop that orrible habit of speed reading !!. It always amazes me where things like bayonets, mags & BFA,s come from, as when I was in you had to sign them from the armoury. If weve lost 200 gats then I wonder how much ancillary kits gone walkabout aswell?. Makes you wonder dosent it ?

Regards LT.

£150 for a law 80 almost worth it for the joy of digging a hole burying and walk ing away from it .You know you always wanted too. :)

Latest Threads