200,000 social homes given to immigrants

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Jul 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There really is something badly wrong with this country. We have seen the plight of people leaving the services to become effectively homeless because they cannot access social housing. And now this is finally admitted.

Five times more immigrants are given social housing than previously claimed, the Government has admitted.

Just weeks ago ministers insisted only one per cent of social housing is given to immigrants, in an attempt to quell widespread fears that they are treated better by local authorities than people born in Britain.

But after an investigation by ITV's Tonight With Trevor McDonald programme, the Government has admitted that 200,000 of Britain's social homes - five per cent of the total - were given to immigrants last year

There is a waiting list of 1.5 million for the four million social houses in Britain.

Priority for houses is given to those most in need. Immigrant families cannot automatically be put to the top of the queue, but often fall into needy groups by being homeless or living in overcrowded accommodation.

The Government's original figures were published on May 21 in the midst of a controversy surrounding an article by Margaret Hodge, then the industry minister, claiming British families had more right to social housing than new migrants.

An internal Labour row saw then-deputy leadership hopefuls Alan Johnson and John Cruddas rebuke Mrs Hodge, with Johnson accusing her of using the "language of the BNP".

However, the Government was yesterday forced to confirm that the five per cent figure claimed by the television report was correct. But it denied any intention to mislead, claiming it had simply updated its calculation system since May.

A spokesman for the Department for Communities and Local Government said: "It is bizarre that people should criticise the government for carrying out further analysis."

Unconvinced, Sir Andrew Green, of Migrationwatch UK, said: "If the Government doesn't know how many foreigners are in social housing they damn well ought to."
  2. They should award housing points if you are a native of the UK and have contributed X amount National Insurance.
  3. If people come here voluntarily (and AFAIK we stopped the slave ships in 1807), then they have put themselves in this situation volutarily. Therefore, how come it's our problem to sort out their housing? :evil:
  4. True, by coming here they have made themselves homeless and as such should not be classed as homeless when it comes to housing allocation, that is, if they are being treated with no preferential treatment for being immigrants and are being judged by the same criteria as natives.
  5. Seems about right, you can't get a council house after leaving the army.

Maybe we should leave the country, smuggle ourselves back in and then we might stand a chance of getting council house.
  6. First question asked to these people moving here is the address of where they intend to reside and having to wait until this has been verified at detention centres, unless this has all been given before entering the country, especially in this present climate. It would also give immigration something to do. If there is no proof, sent back at their own governments expense, not the UK taxpayers, use the embassies or high consulate. I wouldn't contemplate moving to another country without a permanent residence or proof and a contact no. The names should be kept on a database, so that should they, once reaching town of residence, try to claim homelessness be sent straight back to port of entry and deported. By the way, I'm not racist, just hacked off with people jumping the queue in front of more deserving cases eg:- Forces and real homeless, not economic immigrants.
  7. it's easy maths for the Labour Party
    200,000 houses given to immigrants = 200,000+ Labour voters
    A House grudgingly given to a homless ex forces = No Labour Vote
  8. Even if given a house, after the way they have been treated, they still wouldn't vote labour (note small l, not worth a capital L)
  9. ex Gunner - you summed it up correctly apart from transgendered, diablesd couple with 18 children.

Surely the councils which are no longer under labour control and apply correct measures.

1. can you pay your rent and Council tax? prove it
    2. Can you speak the queens english? prove it?

If not, You can apply to go on the housing list on 30 of February!

I am not a racist, but I had to work to get on in life, why should we all end up paying a a load of thieving, lying bums? (I realise that this does not apply to all immigrants especially the ones who work)
  10. Only yesterday I was on the phone to our local council asking about this very situation. Mr Strumpet is comtemplating going back to civvy street and I decided to look into things before we make a final decision.

Only to be told by someone on the other end of the phone that we didnt have any special priority for him coming out of the forces (funny, the woman 3 mins before had said we did?) and that the waiting list was 2-4 years for a council house in that area. So - to quote him "You have one of 2 choices, register as homeless and then we will put you in a hostel, or rent privatley and just wait for something to come up."

I was absolutely fuming when getting off the phone and I am in no doubt at all that if I had just come over illegally that I would be given a house, full benefits and anything else that I needed. Ridiculous.
  11. If England was a phone box and phone boxes only hold four people, why would WE need to get more phone boxes, why don't people stay away if there is no houses for them. Why is it our problem, Planet Earth will not fit into England.