20 Years today since the Law was changed - Gays in the Armed Forces

Staggered that it was twenty years ago this happened. Christ, where has the time gone? Our unit was out in Norway at the time, as part of the AMF(L). Most of us took it in our stride to be honest, with typical military banter - “as long as they don’t make it compulsory”! :smile:
Some impressive talking heads on the News today (veterans and serving personnel) talking about their experiences. Each to their own as always been my view, but for Gods sake, stop making such a big issue of it. In my humble opinion, we will only ever reach true equality and diversity in the Armed Forces and Society as a whole, when the issue is no longer discussed and analysed the way it is today. I doubt that will ever happen though.

Hasn't it moved onto to moaning about recruiting the selfie generation?

81795985_683006022240108_7572807923089276928_n.jpg

Like all things, so long as there's no conduct prejudicial to mil discipline, who gives a damn nowadays ? I do take your point that the virtue signalling does get tedious. There's quite a few gays who rather feel they get paraded as a rare animal in the zoo when they'd rather get on with their job without fuss or fanfare. One remarked to me that the more effort that went into showing zero homophobia, the more he felt it was covering up the reverse.
Funny old world.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There have always been gays in the army, it is just that the system no longer ruins their careers and chucks them out for being gay.

I really couldn't care less if somebody is gay or not, i just wish that everyone would stop making such a big deal about it and going on about it all the time.
It's been politicised to the point where just when you think that it's an issue (a very private issue) that has finally gone away,some idiot activist brings it up again.
Gay Pride, the event, has a lot to answer for in this regard. What somebody get's up to in their private life is their business, nobody elses and having an international event where everyone dresses up in bondage gear is demeaning and embarrassing.

There have always been gays in the army, it is just that the system no longer ruins their careers and chucks them out for being gay.
Indeed. And some of those who got slung out were better at their jobs than some of their straight counterparts. Meritocracy certainly wasn't the be all and end all .

Gay Pride. Gets right on my tits.
Let's have a White Heterosexual pride march, that would go down like a concrete Parachute and no doubt someone would be offended by it.

Nobody cares if you're Gay, if you do your job well, without whining about shit then you get treated the same as everyone else.

Let's have a White Heterosexual pride march, that would go down like a concrete Parachute and no doubt someone would be offended by it.

Nobody cares if you're Gay, if you do your job well, without whining about shit then you get treated the same as everyone else.
You start it, what's it going to involve blokes Morris Dancing to show how hetrosexual they are???

endure

GCM

There's nothing to stop you organising a straight pride march...

We mostly knew who was gay before that anyway, Steward on the Uganda was a taken Homo but not by me:)
. Females were easy spot , in fact they never gave a fucc. Slipper corner in the Marly pub in JHQ .

Working in the UK years before 91/92 , we had loads of WRAC working with us, sometimes they had to go to do temp work all over the then West Midlands group, that was basically west of Birmingham and from the North , Carlise to the south Bristol. We were operating in every military base in the area.

After a few months the younger WRACs started asking me for advice as they were getting too much attention from the "older slipper wearing sisters" on many of their temp jobs.

Spoke to the OC and from then on they all got to claim for hotel allowance.

Also working in JHQ with many WRACs , taking some out on an hill walking exercise, two of the "slipper sisters" after a few bevvies started talking about their likes and dislikes. One said something like " well do you fancy every woman you see?" We don't we pick our girls the same way do.

One said something like " well do you fancy every woman you see?" We don't we pick our girls the same way do.
A true dit.
Back in 2003, the unit I was with, based in the Midlands, was hosting a 1 star visit. I had the honour of introducing him to the Training Wing staff, including the gym bunnies. One of the female APTI’s was called Bever (pronounced Bevver). The one star, in polite conversation remarked, “Beaver, that’s an unusual name” to which she replied, without hesitation “you are what you eat Sir”!
Cue hasty shuffling on of visiting party with associated Klingons! :smile:

Latest Threads