20 years of service Bombardier.

Suchislife

Swinger
I need some advice, my partner is in the army and he only has a few years left, he hates it, for the past decade he has been a bombardier after a drop in rank and 2 year promotion ban after a less than 48 hour AWOL. (Example being made of him much!) everyone he has trained and mentored has now past him in rank, he’s 34 and just depressed by it. Can anyone tell me if he has any options to complain or any silver lining you can think of to help swallow a bitter pill of a non existent career?

Suchislife

Swinger
That’s what I say to him all the time, at least if you have a family emergency they don’t dick over your career! :p

By the time he's out and job-hunting, no-one will care about his former career. Get him to start an Open University course and get the Army to pay for two years of it at least.

Truxx

LE
Of you (not your other half) really and truly think he has been done unfairly or over harshly get him to consider an approach to the Service Complaint Commissioner ( may be called something else these days)

that said do not let him get wrapped up in false hope - the army machine is notoriously poor at admitting !mistakes and even when it does the real effect on the individual can be marginal.

do not let him get depressed. Get him to seek help. (Padre etc) informally if needs be.

Get weaving on a plan for endex. Getting qualifications, especially NVQs. A previous poster suggested OU. Remember he has a career to follow on leaving that will be at least as long as his Army one.

Suchislife

Swinger
Looked into a service complaint before and all I can tell is they tend to get brushed under the carpet. It is very disheartening considering its all he’s ever known since 16 and people who have been in a few years with not much experience deciding if they think they like him enough to move up just because they did an irreverent degree like art. :confused:

That’s what I say to him all the time, at least if you have a family emergency they don’t dick over your career! :p
Lol.

Yes they do and with fewer rights most of the time. Civvy employers can be far worse (especially faux-employers of dayrate ‘self employed’ people).

Suchislife

Swinger
Sounds like you speaking from first hand experience! As a civvy I’ve never experienced it, guess I’m lucky.

****, I saw the thread title on the latest thread s at the side of the page...it's about a bloke who went absent , then is depressed because he's been left behind in the promotions game

I thought it was a motor cycle thread

Truxx

LE
I have been out for 8 years and if you feel that Army life is "unfair" then I fear you are both going to hate civvie street................

cymraeg

War Hero
Yes army life can be unfair especially if your face dont fit or you dont play the game properly. Civvy st can be much the same. The grass isnt always greener but it can be.

Biggest advice i could ever give anyone upon leaving was work out what it is you want to do before banging out even if its just the industry and not a particular role. Then use the military as much as possible to fund what you need to join said industry etc. Research the balls off it so you can hit the ground running as and when.

Best of luck to you both

I need some advice, my partner is in the army and he only has a few years left, he hates it, for the past decade he has been a bombardier after a drop in rank and 2 year promotion ban after a less than 48 hour AWOL. (Example being made of him much!) everyone he has trained and mentored has now past him in rank, he’s 34 and just depressed by it. Can anyone tell me if he has any options to complain or any silver lining you can think of to help swallow a bitter pill of a non existent career?
Did a court martial convene because someone was absent for less than 2 days?

Slime

LE
I'm not sure I'm reading you post correctly, are you saying your other half joined at 16, was a sergeant after eight years at age 24, but then got demoted to corporal and a two year promotion ban but is still a corporal eight years after the promotion ban ended?

By the time he's out and job-hunting, no-one will care about his former career. Get him to start an Open University course and get the Army to pay for two years of it at least.
They’ll pay for all of it if it’s his first degree. Best way is to use up ELCAS credits on a non degree course/courses then do the distance learning degree. I’d advise looking at other distance learning providers as well as the OU.

Suchislife

Swinger
I'm not sure I'm reading you post correctly, are you saying your other half joined at 16, was a sergeant after eight years at age 24, but then got demoted to corporal and a two year promotion ban but is still a corporal eight years after the promotion ban ended?
Corp demoted to lance promoted back after 3 years but each annual report still refers to it 7 years later!

Suchislife

Swinger
Did a court martial convene because someone was absent for less than 2 days?
It was all done in house, he wasn’t clued up to his rights so just accepted it, if he had read up at the time it shouldn’t have been classed as AWOL, too late to do anything now.

Slime

LE
Corp demoted to lance promoted back after 3 years but each annual report still refers to it 7 years later!
Thanks for the clarification, I read it that he hadn't been promoted again after the demotion.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Are you sure he's telling you the full story? Sounds extreme for 48hrs AWOL.

Latest Threads